Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tera 2Low Kit...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Tera 2Low Kit... Reply with quote

So, I'm going SYE and I'm wondering what you all think about getting the Tera 2Low so we can install that at the same time since the tcase will be open and all... I know I wouldn't need it much quite yet, but since a front locker is in the future at some point, and I'll be going through tougher obsticles, I figured, it could be worth it down the road, but save the install time by installing now (kinda like the reasoning to get the locker at the same time as a gear install rather than a month apart...)...

I'm just curious if folks think it's worth it having 2 wheel drive low range, or not. In the future, front and rear lockers will be installed, could be up to 2 years away, but that's a definite, so anything I can do now to help, would be great!

TIA
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been kicking around the same thought, and the only thing that I can tell you is I haven't decided yet either. What I do know is this;
tera 2-low kit ~ $1200
SYE kit ~ $250

At this point, why not just buy a NV241OR (Rock Trac t-case in Rubicon) I believe these are roughly $1600. Then sell your 231 t-case, should be worth a few hundred to someone.

At that point, why not just go all the way and get an atlas. Ok, I might be getting carried away now, but this is the ride I keep taking when I try to figure out what route I'm going to take. Then I always come back down thinking about the all mighty hercules combo. A dana 20 and a klune v underdrive.
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Klune-V_Bronco_D20_combo.htm
there's a little info on the klune setup. Then I come back to reality and try to convince myself I don't NEED all that. But it sure would be cool, wouldn't it?
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Tom, I'm looking into the 2Low kit, not 4:1 kit.. The 2Low kit allows you to engage just your rear axle into low range, disconnecting your front axle to help you get out of a situation where you need steering or where your front axle being locked prevents you from moving in the right direction, etc... I think the kit is < $200.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH... See I should slow down and actually READ what you post before I reply.... LOL woops Embarassed
blupupher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of locker you gonna get for the front? If it is an automatic locker, do the tera conversion. If your gonna get a selectable locker in the front, don't worry about it.
Reasoning is the 2lo will allow you to turn sharp if you have an auto locker, if you have a selectable, you just turn it off when you need to turn sharp.
I am kinda in the same boat, not sure what I am gonna do, trying to decide on the type of traction assist in the front.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my issues, I'm not positive, if it were today, I'd probably go with the powertrax noslip in the front and if possible and ARB air locker in the rear... But who freaking knows how many times I'm gonna change my mind on timeframe and what I'm actually gonna do!!
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem steering in 4lo with my no-slip. I wouldn't waste the cash on the 2-lo kit unless you're getting a full detroit or something up front. For that kinda cash, i'd swap in the 4:1 kit so you'd have something that'd be more beneficial immediately. Just my two bits Mr. Green .
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
...if it were today, I'd probably go with the powertrax noslip in the front and if possible and ARB air locker in the rear...

Even with Doug's experience with the NoSlip?

If you're going through all the work for an ARB in the rear (compressed air supply), you might as well just throw an ARB in the front too, especially if you'll be regearing the front to match the rear anyway. It just makes sense to go with the ARB in the front also. What's the NoSlip cost??? $300-350??? Throw the extra $300 at it and put an ARB in the front too.

Last edited by ehirner on Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying drack, but the 2Lo kit is < $200, the 4:1 is > $1000, so if anything, I'd save the $200 now and go with selectable upfront as my alternative...

Erik, I definitely see what you are saying, I could save the $200 now, spend $300 more later to get the ARB and only come out spending $100 more later... As far as Doug's issue, if it was a faulty locker, then that will happen with any product, I've sent stuff back many times before... I've read great reviews online about Powertrax after Doug's install and liked what I read... However, since this is in the future, who knows, maybe selectable upfront and rear could be where it's at for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: