Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Required and Recommended Vehicle Equipment for Trail Rides

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Required and Recommended Vehicle Equipment for Trail Rides Reply with quote

Below are the requirements for all vehicles on sanctioned trail rides. This list is by no means complete, but are the MINIMUM requirements needed to ride with me.

Required Vehicle Equipment for Trail Rides

1. Valid Driver's License and Proof of Insurance. I check this at the Trail Head, really.
2. Fire Extinguisher (1A10BC Dry Chemical). You can get these anywhere.
3. Roll Bar or Steel Unitized Factory Roll Protection Structure. If you have a Jeep, you're set. Extra Roll Bar protection is suggested.
4. Basic First Aid Kit. These can be bought anywhere, but being certified in Wilderness First Aid I highly suggest buiding your own kit.
5. Tow rope, strap, or chain (Note: Straps and ropes with hooks are not acceptable). As a minimum, straps must be 2" wide, rated for 10,000 pounds, and at least 20' in length. NO HOOKS
6. Safety belts (one for each occupant). Don't be stupid.
7. Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. The stock bottle jack is acceptable if it can raise your Jeep high enough to change out a tire. The spare tire must be within 1" of the diameter of the vehicle tires.
8. Front and Rear tow points. These MUST BE FRAME MOUNTED in one manner or another.
9. A FUNCTIONING 4x4 system. I don't want to get 5 miles down the trail and find out you only have 1 tire that turns.
10. H20 and extra gas- at least 2 gallons of each. You never now when you'll get a leaky tank.

edit - while not vehicle equipment, Toilet Paper should always be carried as well. All snickering aside, you should be either burying your waste or packing it out.

Steve, you can add to this if you want to. I think that we should both agree on these requirements, so any suggestions are welcome.

Trail Ride Tips & Etiquette will follow soon.

Back from the Dead??

Last edited by qadhafi on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Recommended Equipment for Trail Rides Reply with quote

Recommended Equipment for Trail Rides

Below are recommended items for all vehicles on sanctioned trail rides. This list is by no means complete, but are recommended items that will make your trail ride more enjoyable and safer.

Radios
CB or Digital (i.e. Motorolla Talkabouts or other FRS) This is especially important for large groups (more than 3 or 4) so that everyone can communicate easily.

Trash bags
Everyone should be "packing it out" as well as picking up any garbage they see on the trail. Although it could be argued that this falls more in the "Etiquette" catagory, I personally feel it should be a requirement of FM2CD sanctioned trail rides.

Camera An ultra high speed $2000 camera is discouraged. You will break it. Digital cameras and disposals are encouraged. Bring extra film/disks/batteries with you.

Navigation & Communication
GPS
Maps - Road & TOPO
Compass
CB & Digital Radios An external speaker is recommended also
Cell Phone Spare battery and charger too.

Tools
Maglite 2 sets of spare batteries
Various tools - full socket/wrench sets in standard and metric, screwdrivers, bfh, etc.
Hydralic floor jack
Bottle Jack
Bailing Wire
Duct Tape
Zip ties
Hatchet or Axe
Shovel
PB Blaster
GOJO
Safety Glasses
Various Bungie cords
Saw
Rope Small gauge (550 parachute cord) and Heavy (For massive Jeep repair)

Electrical
Power Inverter
Fuses & Relays
Wire -various gauges
Wire Stripper
Electrical Connectors
Electrical Tape

Recovery Gear
Snatch Block
Straps - tow & snatch
Extra Clevis style shackles
HD Work Gloves
Spotter Line
Pull-Pal
Rappelling Gear ONLY EXPERIENCED CLIMBERS. In the event of an emergency this gear may be needed to save lives. 2 Harnesses, Biners, Descender, Ascender, ATC, Gloves, Figure 8 etc.

Spare Parts
Belts, hoses, spark plugs, wires, etc.
Spare Tierod assembly
U-joints
Spare light bulbs
Fluids - Oil, Tranny, Diff, Coolant, Starting
Filters - Air, Oil, etc.
RTV

Emergency
First Aid kit I will be posting the contents of my kit soon
Spare Fire Extinguisher
Waterproof matches
Firestarter
Emergency Flares
SUNBLOCK Don't be stupid

Clothing
Change of clothes, including spare boots and socks Very Important !!
Foul Weather Gear Gore-Tex and Fleece with gloves. Pack for the worst weather you can imagine.
Mechanix Gloves

Cooler
Bottled water, gatorade, food, etc.

Assorted
Tire Deflators
OBA Compressor or CO2

Steve, you can add to this if you want to I took most of it from your list anyway. I think that we should both agree on these requirements, so any suggestions are welcome.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to expand on clothing/proper attire for trail rides (this is more for the newbies, than the rest of us). Style and/or fashion has little place on the trail. Plan for the possibility of having to hike out from a disabled vehicle...and dress accordingly.

Shoes
Wear hiking, military or work boots. While sneakers are acceptable, it should be remembered that they are neither water proof or even resistant. Open toed shoes and/or any kind of heel should ever be worn on a trail. While this may seem obvious, to many it is not.

Clothing
Key words here are fuctional and comfortable. Dress appropriatley for the given weather conditions, but as Derek stated above, "Pack for the worst weather you can imagine." Weather can be unpredictable, so plan accordingly. Even on a nice day, have some foul weather gear...you'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Also as listed above, always carry a change of clothes including spare boots and socks.

Hats
On a cold day it will keep your head warm, and on a hot day (the right one) will keep the sun off of you allowing you to stay cool. I'm partial to baseball hats myself, but I also carry wide brim hats for sun protection.

Derek, feel free to expand on this. I know I'm forgetting details...I've been engaging in outdoor activities for so long this stuff is just second nature to me.

edit - Qad- I locked this thread so that only we can post replies to it. If there is anyone else that has suggestions or additions to the lists above feel free to PM either Qadhafi or myself.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: