Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paint question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: paint question Reply with quote

Not really sure if this is where I should post this so feel free to move it if need be....
I am thinking of painting my Jeep some strange color...That's not the issue....I am probably gonna do it with spray paint (flame away) because I can't afford to do it "right". On the other hand - I don't really care too much of the looks of the body of the Jeep. If I were to spray this biotch, what would I have to do? Obviously I would have to cover up everything that I don't want colored but what else....would I have to sandpaper it up or can I just go ahead and spray it? I remember helping my uncle spray his Bronco but that was a long time ago and I don't know the prep that he would have done for it. Let me know what you're all thinking...thanks
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an air compressor?

I'd spray it myself with a spray gun before spray bombing it with rattle cans. You'll get a much better paint job and it shouldn't cost much more. Rattle cans are hard to get a decent looking coat...trust me, I rattle can'd my S-10 Blazer before I got into Jeeps.

Set up some tarps to make a spray booth and spray away.

Sand between coats to help the paint adhere better.
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Do you have an air compressor?

I'd spray it myself with a spray gun before spray bombing it with rattle cans. You'll get a much better paint job and it shouldn't cost much more. Rattle cans are hard to get a decent looking coat...trust me, I rattle can'd my S-10 Blazer before I got into Jeeps.

Set up some tarps to make a spray booth and spray away.

Sand between coats to help the paint adhere better.

no air compressor but I think that if I were to do this then I would probably be able to buy some kind of a device to spray at sears or wally-world or something. Thanks for the advice. Any more? I will take all that there is. thanks
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paint a tie die on yer Jeep, Qad and I are gonna come up there and kick you repeatedly in the nuts. kick Finger

laugh

Seriously though, what ehirner said...don't use rattle cans...it will end up looking horrible. You should be able to rent a compressor and spray gun from a tool rental place. Then just do what was stated above...set up a makeshift spray booth and spray away, but MAKE SURE TO WEAR AN ASPIRATOR!!! You DO NOT want to be breathin' that stuff!!!

Start by sanding the existing paint. Then use a primer, sanding after each coat. You also want to make sure to wipe it down with a damp rag after each sand to make sure to get all the dust. You want to get at least 2 or 3 coats of primer on...it'll will set up a solid base for the actual paint to adhere to. Then move on to the paint itself, using the same proceedure, except using finer and finer paper each time you sand.

The final coat should be sanded using a very fine grit, wet sandpaper. Then let it cure a good week or so and use a polishing compound to bring out the shine.

It's been awhile since I've done it, so that's about all the advice I can think of right now. Good Luck!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what shade of hot pink are you gonna use?

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
So what shade of hot pink are you gonna use?

you f*cker...... Finger Finger Finger Finger Finger

I was thinking of some crazy color like a metallic candy or something....

I know that choppers are getting cliche because they have become a fad but I have been into choppers for a LONG time and a lot of the colors that they are using are killer. maybe like a candy orange or something....something with metallic type flakes in it....strange and eye catching.... Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could rent an air compressor at a resonable rate. Rather than spending 80 bux for a wally world electric spray gun.

visit like AAA rentals or united rentals. You could probably rent an air compressor and gun for roughly 50-75 bux a day. Some parts stores up here in washington will even order you factory paint at a resonable price.

Rent the gun/compressor and pickup some paint and go for it. If it turns out weird your only out what you spent. If it turns out decent then well you got a decent paint job for under a couple hundred bucks. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: