Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do? Axle swap/Regearing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do?
Regear the 8.8 to match the HP30 @4.10 w/31s
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Regear both axles to 4.56 or 4.88 w/31s
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Just keep running the damned ole d30/35 w/3.07s until I can put the new tires and axles on all at once.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

LAWrangX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: What to do? Axle swap/Regearing question Reply with quote

Sorry for the long post, but this has been beating on me for the last couple of months, and I need to do something about it. I just can't make up my mind how I want to go about it.

Little background on my rig-
2002-X with 31s- owned by 3.07s
3" Black Diamond Spings, 1" BL/MML
My rig only has 17K miles and is 2&1/2 years old. It is not really my DD, for I have a work van I drive every day. Most of the road miles the TJ sees is getting somewhere to go offroad, with only the occassional trip into town to take the kids somewhere. I'd say that at least 1/3 of my driving is off road with most road driving to my camp ~100 miles round trip- 2 lane hwy and the occassional 3 hour Interstate trip to our closest wheeling spots.

I have an 8.8 to swap in place of my d35 and an HP30 to replace my LP30 with. The HP30 is geared at 4.10 right now and I'm going to swap in my lockright and TJ knuckles and shafts. I'm getting a detroit to install in the 8.8 and right now it is geared at 3.27. I eventually want to go to 35s or 36s, but due to the cost factor of more tires and more lift, on top of all the axle costs, I cannot at this time. Should I just regear the 8.8 to 4.10 to match what the HP30 is now and live with my 31" tires for a while, or should I go ahead and regear both axles now to 4.56 or 4.88? Could I run the 31s with such gears. I really want to get the 8.8 under the rig soon. I have several trips planned in the next couple of months and would like that assurance back there. I'm still running stock arms right now, cause I've been holding off for long arms. So long arms and 36's are really in my plans, just don't know when I'll be able to afford them.

I also remember reading somewhere that I could use my stock DS for a little while. Is this possible with the 8.8 swap? If I put the 8.8 under now and get a SYE and new DS, then I'll have to get it lengthened when I go a little higher to fit the 36s.

I'm open for any suggestions. I also have my 1&3/4" spacers I could put on top to give me a little more lift if need be, but not with the stock arms. I've got new Skyjacker shocks in a box for a 4"lift too that I can use.

Thanks,
--Ken
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have an I6? (I don't think they put 3.07's in with the 4 banger).

If your intention is to get to 4.56's or 4.88's, then scratch the first option...there's no sense in regearing to 4.10's just to have to regear again later.

If it were me I would wait until I had everything then install it all. That's where my vote went. You could regear to 4.56 or 4.88 w/31s, especially since it's not a daily driver, but you will lose a lot of top end. The engine will be turning some fairly high RPM's at highway speeds...not too high, around 3500 rpm @ 65mph with 4.88's...still kinda high though.

My $0.02

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with my fellow Vamp on this one.. Wait to do it all at once.
Vampire Crew #1
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option - not sure how much you've invested into the 8.8 (new spring, shock, control arm mounts, etc) but if you haven't gone too far, I'd look around for an 8.8 with 4.10's.
LAWrangX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the advice. I have looked all around here and the lowest geared I have found is 3.73 and they want $300 or more for them. I picked this one up for $100 complete with brakes. I also have a guy that is gonna set up my gears for $100 per axle out of the vehicle, if that makes any difference.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd only have to set the 8.8 with 4.10's for the price of gears and $100, I'd do it. Then ya can utilize the stronger axles and have much lower gears than ya do now. You'll obvioulsy have to regear again when ya wanna go lower, but for that price, why not enjoy the benefits of the new axles now?
LAWrangX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is 3 and 3....lol

'drack wrote:
If you'd only have to set the 8.8 with 4.10's for the price of gears and $100, I'd do it. Then ya can utilize the stronger axles and have much lower gears than ya do now. You'll obvioulsy have to regear again when ya wanna go lower, but for that price, why not enjoy the benefits of the new axles now?

That is the way I'm leaning right now. I really would like the added strength and reliability back there. I would hate to break a shaft and lose my brakes with the kids in the rig for sure. I'm still running stock rims, so I'll have to get new ones with different backspacing as well.

Anyone know if I can run the stock drive shaft for a little while with the 8.8?
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get an adapting flange.
Vampire Crew #1
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAWrangX wrote:
Anyone know if I can run the stock drive shaft for a little while with the 8.8?

I've been curious about this as well - trying to save a buck here and there. Anybody know if the shaft's length will have to be altered?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know. If you've got a lift with the stock shaft, I would imagine you should be able to get away with it. Since the lift made the shaft longer, if the axle requires it to be a little shorter, I would hope they'd balance out in the end. But I don't know for sure. I did SYE and CV shaft all at the same time as my 8.8 so I can't tell you for sure. You do need the adapter flange though that MB was talking about. Spicer part no. 2-2-1379. Can be had for $21+change from Napa or $40 plus shipping from MORE. Guess where I bought it from?
BamBam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay to have the diffs (which ever they are) geared ONCE!

just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: