Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Cage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazs99tj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Which Cage Reply with quote

Hello..

Want to buy a sport cage for the front of my TJ..

Which One?..I dont have use of a welder anylonger, so a bolt in one will have to do..

If you respond, please include pictures..

Thanks

TAZ

God is my Co-Pilot, But The Devil Rides Shotgun
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around and found these to be the most appealing to me.
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/wrangler97.htm
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking hard at the OR-Fab cage. It's cheaper than the rockhard 4x4, but streamers cost you extra.

http://www.orfab.com/Sportcage.htm

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockhard cage is nice looking, but I have issues with the cage reusing the stock bars above your heads. In addition, I also don't like the way the front is angled differently from the rake of the windshield. In fact, that alone kept me from buying a Rockhard cage. And it also comes bare metal. For $500, it better come coated with something...it's only tube and some clamps welded to the end.

Find elff on the boards, he's got a Rockhard and has lots of pictures.

I settled on a new, but used OR-Fab sport cage that I picked up for $250. Was out of the box, but never installed. No spreaders or floor tie-in, but the main piece I bought at that price saved me at least $75. I'll add the spreaders and floor tie in later if I so desire.

I'd throw some pics up for you, but the cage is laying in my basement on the floor. I haven't installed it yet...waiting to decide what I'm doing with a new Jeep and also for better weather since I'll have to pull the hard top off for the install.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a O-R Fab cage writeup.
-DouG-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OR fab cage and like it... i have the floor tie in - and recomend getting it too-bolts right thru the floor and my rocker guards . I didn't get the dash bar or streamers because I plan on adding my own later that are trianglated... the ORF streamers bolt to the main hoop and front spreader -because of this -they are known to squeak! I plan on adding to the cage because it will make me feel better when bringing my nephews and godson wheelin... prob overkill but that's OK.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to get a dash bar made, the fools at or fab don't make one for the YJ.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
saharatj98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: real straight tubing to floor no strap steel please! Reply with quote

who makes the cage kit that goes through the top of your dash and straight down to the floor? I don't like these cages that go from tubular steel to flat metal mounted to your cowl... Looks like it would bend right there if it were rolled. I want strength and that's why I want straight tubing to the floor the only bend being to match the rake of the windshield on top.....I will build one if I can't find who made this kit. Steel bar turning to strap steel will not hold the weight of your Jeep...
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not have seen Tracey's roll with her TBT cage. I think it's 3-4 rolls, end over end. Cage kept the occupant safe...and that's what they're designed to do.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait I thought that "sport cages" were not really designed for rolling. I thought that it was just a look thing and that the best bet was to go with a real cage. I could be wrong but I remember reading/hearing that somewhere. That was why all those were called sport cages instead of roll cages.

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling it a "sports cage" is a way to avoid getting yourself sued. But yes, a true roll cage is always good. Wink
saharatj98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure these "sport" cages offer better protection than nothing. End over end can be deceiving too because the ends are getting the most impact being the front and back of the Jeep depending on how it rolled and on what surface. I have been Jeeping for about 15 years and I started with guys who are retired and have been in this sport longer than I am old. Learn a lot from the old timers:). I just remember a cage kit a few years ago that replaced the whole front section from the center hoop forward, angled with the windshield and then went straight through thetop of the dash and then straight down to the floor. This was 1.75" and had grommets that made it look clean where the holes in the dash were and used a top of dash bar and a top bar with spreaders running back to the center hoop. This looked like the strongest bolt in cage as far as design goes. I've seen guys build cages for these doing this too but they will mostly go almost right against the windshield at the base so they only have to cut out a small half circle. This works too. I want a cage for roll over protection and a good one so odds are if I ever do go over which I've had my share of tetering close calls with a jab of the gas and the wheel have saved me I just want limited damage just in case. That, and like function. I'm not into chrome tube bumpers and other fluff... Function can look good too...Most roll overs are very slow on the trail and do not do much damage, but who can say there is such a thing as too safe of a cage??? Anyway, with the Sport versus Roll Cage identified I just want something more stout for the use I have. Anyone heard of this cage? It was in JP magazine a couple of times. I want to say Mountain Off Road Products but that wasn't it.... Thanks!
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE's TJ cage is not a through-the-dash cage. It is located in front of the dash, taking up space that your knees like. I think the cage you're speaking of is from Tennessee Offroad.

Keep in mind the major issue with a through-the-dash cage, the HVAC ducts. This is the major reason that one manufacturer puts the A pillars of the cage close to the windshield frame and notches the dash. The further forward you locate the bars, the less issues you'll have with the HVAC ducts.

With a floor tie-in kit, a sport cage is satisfactory for my needs. Check out the PSC sport cage. I would say it's the strongest sport cage on the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: