Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CO2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: CO2 Reply with quote

I swore I posted about this and can't dig it up.. Anywho, I've considered CO2 a bunch and have really tried to get knowledgeable about it. My only downfall to having it is getting it refilled, but it seems as though you get a ton of use with airing up your tires, running air tools if necessary, controlling your ARBs, etc. before needing a refill.

I like the idea cause I can take it out of the Jeep easily if needed. I want to keep the AC for those raining steamy nights! I like that I can use the CO2 to run ARBs in the future as the lockers are so efficient, they aparently barely use any CO2. I like that I could fill all 4 tires back up in probably 6 minutes, if that.

What drawbacks do folks see besides anything I've mentioned? I hear folks are really scared about them exploding, etc.. But I feel that if properly taken care of and used, that shouldn't be an issue, heck, you carry gas everywhere you go, if you take a grinder to your gas tanks, the sparks will cause that to explode!!

Anywho, I've looked at powertank and the offroad air tank:

I like this one cause it seems to be probably as good as the powertank, but cheaper and includes everything you need in a 20lb. version. It is adjustable up to 200PSI..
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much that one is but I gave $130 for my whole setup. It was by a company called Big Air. I think that they went out of business, but now they're back although judging by their new prices, I'd rather have a powertank.

Pros- It'll fill up a tire really freakin' fast.
- It can run air tools within reason.
- I don't have to worry about draw on my electrical system.
- It's portable, so if it needs to be walked to someone else's rig, no problem.

Cons- make sure of your hose connections, a small leak can get really big realy fast.
- The obvious refill problem, most welding supply places will fill them cheap. Ask some paintballers where they get their tanks filled.

I like it, but I'm thinking about making an inverter/ air compressor rig. I'll probably still carry the CO2 as back-up.

Oh, if you are handy then you can just make your own. This write up is pretty simple. When you pay $300+ for the powertank you're giving a lot for those high speed regulators. You just need a basic regulator. CO2 actually affects the weight of the tank, so you can tell when it's not heavy that you need a fill.

http://www.wt4wheeling.com/tech/co2tank.htm

good luck.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a write-up on putting together a system for probably less than Powertank. Cool
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-ups guys.. I appreciate the information.. I'm fairly confident I will go the CO2 route, I really like the portability for on the trail.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some good Powertank information and uses if anyone is interested:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/powertank/
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest just buying the regulator that these companies offer and using a stock tank from a welding supply shop. You'll have to buy the tank from them, but it is a lot easier to have them swap tanks--your empty one for a full one--plus you get one that's always up-to-date with its hydrotesting. Those tanks must be hydrotested every so often. I believe it's 5 years. Basically, they put them in the ground surrounded by water and pressurize the tank to 5/3's it's rated pressure. If everything goes alright (which it usually does), the bottle is stamped and is recertified for another 5 years.

And Keith, do you know how big the 20lb bottle is? Go to a welding shop first and check out the size. It's bigger than you think.

I was debating CO2 myself, but decided to wait and do a York. The refills are too expensive around me, and I could see myself having to refill after every trip b/c I'd be helping everyone else reinflate their tires and use all the CO2.
nikon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any paintball shop can fill CO2...also, if you use a scuba tank and get high pressure air - a scuba shop can fill that up. I have a scuba tank to fill my nitro tank for paintball and as long as you let them know that it is for your tires and that you are not using it for scuba then you don't need any cert... I assume that high pressure air would work the same as CO2 and it's probably cheaper (I know from a paintball standpoint it is...)
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about CO2 til I talked to a guy running 37's. He said you can only fill 7 or 8 tires times per tank. That would get a little pricey, so I am just goin' OBA.
Crazy
BlueJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: PowerTank Reply with quote

I have the 15 lb PowerTank, and I love it. It was definitely pricy - $500 + for the set up, but it works great. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't buy the tank. It's a pain to drop off the tank to be filled and then pick up again, when I could just swap one. The PowerTank regulator does not freeze up - I filled up 8 jeeps (32 tires) at one time, and while the tank was fully crusted with ice, the regulater worked fine. Not all the cheaper competitors can do the same, so if you're doing buying one, invest a little more $$$ in the PowerTank.

It costs me about $15 and two trips to the gas place, so I stopped filling up everyone's tires - it's now only for trail use, and I have used it a number of times. Its great to be able to lug the tank from the back of the group to the front to reseat a bead - when you can't get your jeep with OBA through the woods.

I don't need it to air up after a day of wheeling - with the trailer, I just tow it home and fill up for free at the local Exxon.

It may be tough to fine a good place to fill up. Hobby stores (like for paintball) can't fill the tanks, they don't have the right equipment. Our local welding places don't carry gasses, they direct folks to the local gas distributor. All the beverage places I checked also don't do their own gas, they outsource to the same supplier as the welding companies.

But for occasional trail use, I think it's great. Most of the folks in our club have on-board air, and only one's has been able to fill up multiple jeeps at a time before breaking down. I'm not mechanical enough to keep an OBA system working properly, so I love the PowerTank's simplicity.

Hope this helps...
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses! It kinda seems that folks are saying, even though powertank is awesome, for the price, some things can be quite a hassle!

BlueJ, you got me curious about something.. Do you know if the PowerTank regulator would fit other CO2 tanks? could be a dumb question, but it seems as though the way to go would be to spend some dough on the PowerTank regulator and get a tank that I can swap out for the convenience and the fact that the tank would be a lot cheaper.
rebelr91YJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 20lb tank from a jobsite, then went to Home Depot and got a regulator and all fittings and hoses. After filling the tank ($11.50) I have about $52.00 into my CO2 sytem. I've filled a set of 37" Boggers,35" XTerrains and my 35's in just over 10 minutes and had enough CO2 left to do it a couple of more times yet. The main thing about using CO2 is to make sure the tank is standing up, not lying down while you're using it. My system isn't anywhere near as pretty as a Powertank, but works exactly like it
K9Jeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats made me a little curious... what does happen if you try loading a tire with the tank upside down. Is it anything like A/C refridgerant and quick fill a tire with liquid Co2?? =)
BlueJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:

BlueJ, you got me curious about something.. Do you know if the PowerTank regulator would fit other CO2 tanks? could be a dumb question, but it seems as though the way to go would be to spend some dough on the PowerTank regulator and get a tank that I can swap out for the convenience and the fact that the tank would be a lot cheaper.

I think where the regulator attaches to the tank is the same for all tanks, their own and generic ones. PowerTank sells the regulator separately so you don't need to buy their tank.

You can check it out at www.powertank.com.

The instructions say that the tank has to be straight up or angled not more than 45 degrees, so that the vapor not liquid goes to the regulator. I have not tried to see what happens if it is on it's side...
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey and when your not on the trail you could use it to run your keg of beer Very Happy

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueJ wrote:
Black2001TJ wrote:

I think where the regulator attaches to the tank is the same for all tanks, their own and generic ones. PowerTank sells the regulator separately so you don't need to buy their tank.

You can check it out at www.powertank.com.

The instructions say that the tank has to be straight up or angled not more than 45 degrees, so that the vapor not liquid goes to the regulator. I have not tried to see what happens if it is on it's side...

Thanks man, great info!! I wouldn't try it on it's side though Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: