Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Color change tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Color change tires Reply with quote

OK, so I'm in Dallas for a conference. Why is that important? It's not. It just explains why I had enough free time to catch up on my reading. I found this interesting tidbit in MIT's Technology Reveiw, March 2004 issue:

Chameleon Tire

More than a quarter of all passenger vehicles on the road in the US have one or more underinflated tires - a condition that can lead to tread seperation and blowouts. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration estimates that up to 10000 injuries could be prevented annually if all vehicles had systems that warned drivers of underinflation. Frank Kelley of the University of Akron in Ohion and Barry Rosenbaum of Omnova Solutions, a chemical company in Fairlawn, OH have devised a simple solution: a rubber material that changes color from black to red when tire temperatures rise above 77 degrees Celcius. This is because underinflated tires get much hotter than properly inflated tires. The special rubber contains a material that changes color in response to temperature; a strip of the rubber could be built into the sidewalls of tires, visible as a red ring when things get too hot. They have formed a company called TCS Ploymers and hope to sell the rubber to the tire industry in 3-5 years.

Sounds pretty cool to me. I always hated dealing with checking the tire pressure on my car. The tires always looked flat due to how small they were (damn sports cars) and this would be a nice way to check without getting dirty every damn day before work...
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty slick idea- though there'll be some funny looks. Shocked
I check my air pressure religiously after I had issues with a firestone on my truck. Confused
blupupher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, but you would have those that think it looks neat to have the red ring on the tire and would run underinflated on purpose.

It is a neat idea though, help alot of people who don't check their tires like they should. Although, you will have those people who will say (after a blow out) that "I saw it red, but I thought it would let me know before it would blow".... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: