Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scuba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Scuba Reply with quote

I didn't want to jack Black's thread so I thought that I would just start a new one. Does anyone know if the scuba tank thought that I had in his CO2 thread would work? Any idea of if it would cause a problem using that kind of air (high pressure)? I have a scuba tank to fill up my paintball nitrogen tank (not filled with nitro) and didn't know if I could make it dual purpose and rig something up to make it work with the YJ too...... thumbs
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
BlueJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Compressed Air Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of jeepers using compressed air (is this scuba?) rather than CO2. It works fine, but doesn't have nearly as much power. I've filled up about 32 tires (stock to 30") with one 15 pound Powertank, but a bigger compressed air tank only filled up maybe five or six.
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. I never thought of that... Oh well. It was a thought since I already have the scuba tank. I never thought about it having the "umph" of fillin a tire mounted on a YJ....Thanks for the input Very Happy
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
K9Jeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, that would be a sick joke. Filling someone's scuba tank with Co2. Just for kicks, fill his partners tank with Helium...
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be funny. It's always funny until someone dies or loses an eye.

Nikon- Scuba tanks are probably a bit larger than you would want in your Jeep (unless you are referring to a pony bottle). The valve would have to be taken out and replaced with an industrial style screw on/off valve.

It's doable, but you'd be better off finding some sucker....I mean some person Finger to buy your scuba tank off of you and go to a welding shop and pick up a new or used 10 or 15 lb CO2 tank.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Yeah, that would be funny. It's always funny until someone dies or loses an eye.

Nikon- Scuba tanks are probably a bit larger than you would want in your Jeep (unless you are referring to a pony bottle). The valve would have to be taken out and replaced with an industrial style screw on/off valve.

It's doable, but you'd be better off finding some sucker....I mean some person Finger to buy your scuba tank off of you and go to a welding shop and pick up a new or used 10 or 15 lb CO2 tank.

Nah - I need the scuba for my paintball tank, which is why i bought it in the first place Mr. Green Finger
FM2CDJC Member #10

ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about getting a regulator for the SCBA tanks we use at the fire department. They are the same basic concept as a SCUBA but they aren't intended for underwater use. Our tanks have about 2200-2500psi in them and you can breathe for a rated length of 30 minutes but we typically get only around 20-25min, or less, if you're actually doing something with them.

I don't know know how long one of these bottles will last filling tires and this is my main issue. It's not really a lot of air in the bottle since the contents are still gaseous form and not liquid like CO2. That's the inherent property of CO2 that makes it so useful. Because it's stored as a liquid, you got a lot longer use as all the liquid converts to gas and xpands. Remember, gases have like 500 times the volume of a liquid, or some other rediculous number.

I've seen the system used and actually used them myself through our neighboring rescue company. They run air tools and stabilization bags for extrication operations off an SCBA bottle. I know they don't last real long though.

The other downfall....I could only find a regulator through a single supplier who wanted $200 just for the regulator.
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
I thought about getting a regulator for the SCBA tanks we use at the fire department. They are the same basic concept as a SCUBA but they aren't intended for underwater use. Our tanks have about 2200-2500psi in them and you can breathe for a rated length of 30 minutes but we typically get only around 20-25min, or less, if you're actually doing something with them.

I don't know know how long one of these bottles will last filling tires and this is my main issue. It's not really a lot of air in the bottle since the contents are still gaseous form and not liquid like CO2. That's the inherent property of CO2 that makes it so useful. Because it's stored as a liquid, you got a lot longer use as all the liquid converts to gas and xpands. Remember, gases have like 500 times the volume of a liquid, or some other rediculous number.

I've seen the system used and actually used them myself through our neighboring rescue company. They run air tools and stabilization bags for extrication operations off an SCBA bottle. I know they don't last real long though.

The other downfall....I could only find a regulator through a single supplier who wanted $200 just for the regulator.

great info man. thanks. I figured as much. I didn't think that it was gonna work but I thought, what the hell - mind as well post it up and see what people think. Thanks again for the info - makes a lot of sense - what you said
FM2CDJC Member #10

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: