Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ rear bumper/tire carrier

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-DouG-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to bring an old thread btt...

well -I got a unexpected bonus check from work so I bought an unexpected bonus bumper... Very Happy I was thinking of building my own carrier but I'd have to do alot of prcticing with the MIG first... and I already have enough projects on my plate!
I ended up going with the Toys by Troy rear combo from 4x4groupbuy.com... I went with it because I like how it tucks up close to the body -even with the body lift... can't wait to see it...
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics when it gets mounted.. Cool

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JaySea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds great doug..cant wait to see it Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
This shows one of the items that Raingler offered for the Jeeperman rear that most do not that was a key selling point for me. I had asked about the frame tie ins and how they worked with the BL bumper height and this shows it perfectly.

This is the same set of tie-ins that I want to get for my bumper. I checked out the pics on Raingler's site and it looked like the ones offered for TJs had a slightly different shape than yours. Does yours angle upward towards the rear like that because of your BL mount (I too, have a 1"BL), and if so, will I need to specify that to them?

Jim
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumper itself has 3 holes to accommodate a body lift - you can used the top 2 bumper holes for stock height or the bottom 2 for a body lift. The frame tie-ins line up with the holes in the crossmember as opposed to the bumper. So basically, the tie-ins mount the same regardless of the mounting of the bumper (stock vs. body lifted.) Did that make any sense? Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
The bumper itself has 3 holes to accommodate a body lift - you can used the top 2 bumper holes for stock height or the bottom 2 for a body lift. The frame tie-ins line up with the holes in the crossmember as opposed to the bumper. So basically, the tie-ins mount the same regardless of the mounting of the bumper (stock vs. body lifted.) Did that make any sense? Wink

I think it made perfect sense.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young yeller wrote:
WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
This shows one of the items that Raingler offered for the Jeeperman rear that most do not that was a key selling point for me. I had asked about the frame tie ins and how they worked with the BL bumper height and this shows it perfectly.

This is the same set of tie-ins that I want to get for my bumper. I checked out the pics on Raingler's site and it looked like the ones offered for TJs had a slightly different shape than yours. Does yours angle upward towards the rear like that because of your BL mount (I too, have a 1"BL), and if so, will I need to specify that to them?

Jim

I grabed that pic from ehirner's website, this mine, they look the same to me.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
young yeller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see it now. I was just looking at it wrong on their website. The side view on their website makes the tie-in look a little shorter front to back than the ones in your pics. Thanks guys.
TAS

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey to all. I'm new to this site, and thought I'd chim in. I too have been looking at the L0D bumper. The only thing I don't like is the receiver is on the bottom instead of being recessed. I e-mailed eddie to see if it could be changed, and he said the design was set. My last e-mail was to see if the receiver could be shipped loose. Still waiting on a reply. For the price, I'll consider cutting it off myself and recessing it.

Todd
TAS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: TJ rear bumper/tire carrier Reply with quote

-DouG- wrote:
I have an Olympic rear bumper on my TJ...

I like the plain-jane look but would like to have a tire carrier so I can take more than one passenger wheelin if I want...
I have a carrier design idea in my head to add to this bumper but don't have the time or heated garage to build it...
I'm really diggin the Toys-by-Troy rear bumper and swing out...
I like how tight it tucks... not sure I like the latch... or the price

anyone have any opinions/ or expirience with this bumper? just tryin to decide if I wanna build or buy...

thanks

Doug:

I have the same bumper. I was talking to a guy in our club (who makes his living making bumpers etc..) if he could fit one of his premade carriers on my bumper, and he said it would be no problem. The way the bumper is mounted (to frame sides as well as a strap on the bottom) is why con do it. I'll go see him this week or next and let you know how it went. That is if you have'nt done something already.

Todd
-DouG-

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: TJ rear bumper/tire carrier Reply with quote

TAS wrote:
-DouG- wrote:
I have an Olympic rear bumper on my TJ...

I like the plain-jane look but would like to have a tire carrier so I can take more than one passenger wheelin if I want...
I have a carrier design idea in my head to add to this bumper but don't have the time or heated garage to build it...
I'm really diggin the Toys-by-Troy rear bumper and swing out...
I like how tight it tucks... not sure I like the latch... or the price

anyone have any opinions/ or expirience with this bumper? just tryin to decide if I wanna build or buy...

thanks

Doug:

I have the same bumper. I was talking to a guy in our club (who makes his living making bumpers etc..) if he could fit one of his premade carriers on my bumper, and he said it would be no problem. The way the bumper is mounted (to frame sides as well as a strap on the bottom) is why con do it. I'll go see him this week or next and let you know how it went. That is if you have'nt done something already.

Todd

I just took that bumper off a couple days ago... but let me know how it works out anyway... I'll prob be selling that bumper... btw -where are you located? and what club?
TAS

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug:

I went to see Phil and it would be $300 to set up one of his carriers on my bumper. The next morning I saw a guy on our club site (LA4X4) that had one of Phil's bumper/tire carriers for sale. I'm gonna check it out.

On 4x4explorer they are advertising LoD bumpers for $339. I have been in communication w/ them on changing the reciever to put it in the bumper. They got back to me today and said they would do it for $349. That is still one hell of a deal. I'm not sure I like the way it mounts. IF the used bumper falls through, Ill prob. get the LoD and add frame tie-in's.

Oh yea, I'm in Boton Rouge,La.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: