Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires came in today

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Tires came in today Reply with quote

I was shocked when my wife woke me up to tell me that my tires came in today. I wasn't expecting them til Friday. I am impressed with Tirerack. Now comes the question.....you knew that there had to be one.
Question about the shackle lift. I am gonna have my mechanic do it strictly because I do not have the tools that are needed and the YJ is gonna be there anyway to get the tires balanced and mounted. I asked him about doing the shackles for me too because of the tools that I don't have and he raised a question about the bushings. Anyone know what the chances are the the bushings are actually destroyed? and needing to be replaced? I thought that it was a matter of just taking off the old ones and then throwing the new ones in? Never thought about the bushings before....What am I in for? He thinks that I will be able to clear the 31s without it with minimal rubbing (keep in mind I stopped in to talk to him on the bike and didn't have the YJ with me).. I am going in on Fri morning to see what is gonna be done. He is charging me 50 for the tires to be put on and balanced and all that jazz, which is not the cheapest price that I have recieved but I trust him and I want to give him my business. He also charges 48 an hour for work so what am I looking at for the shackles? Give me your thoughts on this........I am a bit nervous about these shackles now.... Rolling Eyes
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably need the shackles for the 31's on a YJ - especially if the suspension has squated some.
Shackles are pretty easy to change - normally. I've seen some where the bolt has seized to the metal sleeve and it's a lot of fun to get out. If everything goes smoothly, it should be any more than a couple hours max. If he runs into problems, you could be wasting (spending) a lot of money! What kind of shackles did you get? A lot of them come with bushings. If you didn't get them with the shackles, now is the best time to swap them in there. It's all going to be apart anyway.

Chuck
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought the shackles used so they didn't come with bushings....can I buy the at normal parts stores (auto zone)? or does it have to be specialty shop? Any thoughts? There is a shop locally that may have them but I can't be sure of them having them in shop and my appointment is on Friday.

I have new bolts for the shackles so I was planning on him just cutting the bolts on there now. The only thing that we were thinking that he was gonna have a problem with was the bushings being cracked. This sucks...... I just want these freakin tires to be on.....with the the shackles....is that too much to ask?
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the local store to see if they have them or could get them before your appt. If not, you have a couple choices (as if you didn't know)....... you can either reschedule your appt, or get the tires mounted and balanced, order the bushings from wherever, and make a new appt for the bushing install (maybe you can get some local wheelers to help you do the install - that would be better!).

Good luck man,

Chuck
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... I don't know exactly what your OEM bushings in the leaf springs/body mount look like. I don't think that you HAVE to use new bushings, it's just a good idea, and they come with new shackles. As long as the new bolts will go through the old bushings, then there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as tools go, all you need is a 3/4" wrench, a 3/4" socket (breaker bar works best for breaking the bolts loose), PB Blaster and a scissors jack (put it between the spring and the frame to tak the tension off of the shackles. By yourself you should be able to swap all 4 shackles in an hour or two. It's just about the easiest mod you can do on a YJ.

Just curious- what kind of shackles are they?

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Um... I don't know exactly what your OEM bushings in the leaf springs/body mount look like. I don't think that you HAVE to use new bushings, it's just a good idea, and they come with new shackles. As long as the new bolts will go through the old bushings, then there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as tools go, all you need is a 3/4" wrench, a 3/4" socket (breaker bar works best for breaking the bolts loose), PB Blaster and a scissors jack (put it between the spring and the frame to tak the tension off of the shackles. By yourself you should be able to swap all 4 shackles in an hour or two. It's just about the easiest mod you can do on a YJ.

Just curious- what kind of shackles are they?

I have worked them with PB Blaster and i can't make them budge. The problem here is that I can't get the bolts off to see the shape that the bushings are in. They may be all well and good and there will be no problem once he takes an impact wrench (I hope it works) to get the bolt off. The problem is that if the bushings are not in decent shape, then he wont go any further so I thought that it would be easier to just get some and replace them anyway. I have new bolts so if the impact wrench doesn't work then we are just going to cut the bolts right off. He wont do this without knowing the shape of the bushings though. I think that what's going to happen is that tomorrow we will just look at it and see what we are going to have to do and worst case is that we do nothing tomorrow, I get the bushings and we make a new appointment for next week. There isn't a problem with that other than me being impatient and wanting to get these tires on.

I don't know what kind they are. I bought them off a guy before I knew anything abou the YJ or the product. I knew that I wanted to get a quick cheap lift either with a BL or a SL and these were the right price at the right time. Looking back - I should have bought new ones....but I didn't and now I am paying for it. Oh well. I'll deal with it......

We shall see what happens tomorrow.... Rolling Eyes

On another note....I called a couple of places today to find out how long it would take to get the bushings in and they asked if I had one or two pieces.....
2 questions....Anyone know if they would be one or two piece bushings? (95 yj) Does it matter?
FM2CDJC Member #10

kygreenyj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shackles on a YJ... haha these are fun. the air wrench will be hard to get up to the top bolts on the rear ones, best way is to loosen them abit and then get a hack saw and try not to cut your finger off. It seems so simple in theory, but jeep in their infinite wisdom probably installed the shackles before they installed the gas tank so the top bolts are pinned in by the tank. Not that hard to deal with just annoying. Tell your mechanic he'll probably have to do this if he hasn't figured it out and then tell him to make sure the bolt head face out when he reinstalls them so you can change your shackles in the future w/o problems.

Its not that hard to not ruin the bushings i think still have the original 11 yearold bushings in. As far as the shackles don;t worry about them being used if you got a deal thats good, they are nothign more than a few pieces of metal welded together

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
nikon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just made me feel a bit better about tomorrow
FM2CDJC Member #10

qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I don't know why I didn't tell you this earlier. I got a lot of stuff here, and none of it good. Brace yourself.

The first thing that we need to know is how high you want to go on shackles alone? How long are your shackled that you want to go on right now? Rule of thumb on shackles is that for every inch longer than stock you go, you only gain 1/2" of lift, you have to divide it by 2. The distance is split between the top and the bottom of the shackle.

You have a '95, so the springs shouldn't have sagged too much, but Bryan says that 1/2"-5/8" of lift won't help you much. You would need to go with longer shackles (1"-1 1/2 " of actual lift). I don't really reccomend really long shackles, casue they tend to get hung up on stuff and create vibrations.

If you are going with new bushings.

Bryan (dirtyredtj) said that as long as the bushings were serviceable, he'd leave them. Worst case is that you could do it later.

1. Get GREASABLE Two Piece bushings with the center pin. The bolts have a grease fitting on them. If you are going Polyurethane you need to be able to grease them or they will squeak like a biotch.

2. The front end is easy, hand tools is all I remember using. The rear end is another matter, the top shackle bolt is right next to the gas tank. You can either A: cut it off with a hacksaw or sawzall or B: remove one half of the bushing (the half that is towards the threaded end of the bolt) and wiggle the head end of the bolt out. Lots of PB blaster and cuss words are required.

A complete new bushing set looks like it will run you around $60 on the interweb, you might be able to find it a little cheaper.
You will have to add bolts to that and that looks like another $30 or so, you can buy new complete shackle kits for that much.

I know money can be tight, but seriously, you only want to do this once. I know it sucks having to wait, but this is what I would try and do.

1. Ebay those shackles you got, or try and sell them here or on JF.
2. Buy a complete shackle kit (Currie or MORE, complete with new bushings and greasable bolts). These shackles will only lift you a maximum of 5/8", so a BL or AAL may be needed later.
3. Do the install with a buddy. Those bolts CAN NOT be on there so tight that you putting all of your weight on the breaker bar can't get them to start. If you have the time and energy to do the install, then that should more than save you $60-$100 that your mechanic will charge.

Call the guy (Jason??) at redrock 4x4, I think he carries MORE and Currie. Tell him you're hurting and he'll hook you up.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info as always. I think that I am going to see how it goes tomorrow and if there is any question at all them I am just going to buy a whole new set. The shackle sare a 1"lift and is all that I am looking to get out of the shackles. I will probably add a 1" BL at some point within the next year or so because I can't afford a SL at this time or anytime in the near future. With wifey's newly found health issue (found today) and we are trying to save for a house, I am amazed that I got the tires by her. I think that I am going to have him assess the situation tomorrow and see what he thinks..if the bushings are ok then I would assume leave them for now and deal with them again later. I need to get these tires on asap cause the ones on her are illegally bald and I have to fill htem 1x a week with air cause they lose it so quickly - these may very well be the original tires on her.....if not, they were replaced early on and are now f*cked. I appreciate the advice a lot but I don't quite think you understnad my mechanical lack-of-incline and the tool situation that I am in. At this point all the work that has been done/attempted on her has been in a parking lot on a college campus with nothing but hand tools and my weak power drill. I have a scissorjack from my Passat and that's it. Occasionally I can borrow a floor jack from a friend but right now he is using it on his sled. I am between a rock and a hard place and these tires need on more for a safety issue than my want at this point and I don't have the time any longer to f-with them... I know the right thing to do is to buy a new set and do it up right, just like buying an optima battery would be the right thing to do also - I just can't do it at this point and if it means replacing it sooner than i have to deal with that, given my situation.

Thanks again for the advice and we shall see what happens tomorrow. I know he is not going to charge me for looking at it torrow unless he actually starts to do work. If there is any question, I put it aside til monday and I will have no chouiec but to buy a new set. I will let you know what happens Rolling Eyes
FM2CDJC Member #10

qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health Issue? What's happenin'? You can PM if you don't want to post here.

I don't mean to be an a-hole but have you considered using add-a-leaves? I got BDS ones pretty cheap, they go in in a few hours and add about 2-3" of lift dependant on the brand/type you get. There are some sellers on ebay selling AAL's for less than $80. It's a time consuming process, but easily done if you can follow the destructions.
After the shackles go on, it would be the next suspension mod that I would do. Shocks should come soon, cause you're gonna start riding rough.

Back from the Dead??
nikon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Health Issue? What's happenin'? You can PM if you don't want to post here.

I don't mean to be an a-hole but have you considered using add-a-leaves? I got BDS ones pretty cheap, they go in in a few hours and add about 2-3" of lift dependant on the brand/type you get. There are some sellers on ebay selling AAL's for less than $80. It's a time consuming process, but easily done if you can follow the destructions.
After the shackles go on, it would be the next suspension mod that I would do. Shocks should come soon, cause you're gonna start riding rough.

thanks again man...you got too much info...

I will post up later about wifey - no time or energy to do it now - too tired.

I just got back from the mechanic and the bushings look good. He started on the back and got the drivers side bottom bolt off but wouldn't go any further without taking off the gastank. I suggested cutting and he said the only thing that would cut these bolts was a torch and he wasn't willing to do that with the gas tank there. This is the first time that he has ever tried to screw me. I feel bad cause I can tell that he was d*ckin me around for a bit...Saying that he wants to do it when I can set aside 2.5 hrs for it. F*ck that. Rolling Eyes I have now decided that this is going to have to be a favor called in to a couple of different people to see what pans out. A new Jeep buddy has some tools and I think that I am going to ask a favor from him and if that doesn't work I know a machinist that is a supervisor with access to the machine shop that would have some cutting implements.

I mentioned to Rich (mechanic) that I know several other people that have cut their bolts off and he says that the only thing that would cut them is the torch...What did other people here use? What should I try to get my hands on to cut this f*ckin thing....I feel like he just didn't want to do this today and was looking for a quick excuse not to do it and he couldn't get by with claiming the bushings were bad cause I knew they were good when I saw them...

At least he loosened up all the bolts for me Smile

What to use to cut? Qad - tha man wit all da answas? Finger
FM2CDJC Member #10

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the wife man, I hope everything is ok. Also good luck with the shackle and tires. Keep us posted.

My Morning Jacket
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawzall!!

If you are going to cut the bolts off, make sure that you have replacements. Oh, and if nobody has a sawzall, you should be able to rent one from Home Despot for like $10-$15, or take a trip to your local pawn shop.

Remember what I said about the scissors jack earlier in this post.

I'm late for work, I'll edit this post when I get home.

Back from the Dead??
nikon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the hell would he tell me that a sawsall wouldn't work? I really think that he just didn't want to do it....oh well....i guess this will be better for me in the long run. i like to be hands on but with knowing that I know nothing about vehicles kind of makes me nervous. I cant afford to f it up. Sad thing is that all I have for a jack right now is my scissor jack from by passat but I think that is going to be fixed tomorrow with the purchase of a 2.5 ton. Shoudl I stay away from a bottle jack and go straight for a floor jack? I was told that a bottle jack (along with being a bit cheaper) is better for off road usage because of is size. True?

Guys...thanks for all your help with this. I believe i made a post a while back indicating how little knowledge I have and that I would be asking a lot of stupid questions. I appreciate the patience.
FM2CDJC Member #10

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: