Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestik installation locations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Firestik installation locations Reply with quote

So I have two Firestik KW4's (4 Ft, 5/8 wave Rated @ 400 watts), one for each vehicle (XJ & TJ), but I'm still trying to decide/finalize where I'm gonna mount them. I'm doing it this weekend and here's what I'm thinkin right now:

XJ - centered on the front bumper. I'd just drill a hole dead center on the bumper and mount it there.

TJ - A corner of the rear bumper, far enough over to not interfere with the rear door.

My thought process here is that both anteneas would only be used on the trail, so it's not like I'm tryin' to broadcast for miles and miles. They would be removed when not wheeling.

Anyone have any better ideas in terms of mounting locations?

For the time being I'd be hooking up Cobra handhelds to them...with the eventual upgrade to mobile units. I'm also gonna pick up a $35 SWR meter from Radio Shack to get 'em tuned. It might not be able to get them perfect....but it'll get them close....

EDIT - Another idea I just had for the TJ is to hang it off the spare tire mount...I don't have to worry about it being in the way of the door, I can run the wire with the harness for the brakelight and the bracket would be pretty inconspicous when I remove the antenna.....hmmmmm....

TIA & Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ- Front bumper seems like a bad idea. It will be whacking everything on the trail and will get in your line of vision on the highway. Rear bumper would prolly be a better option

TJ- I know that I just said that rear bumper on the XJ, but the rear bumper is known as a bad mounting location. If I were you I'd try mounting it to the rear tire stop.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Qad, the only times these things will be on is on the trail...that's the only time we use the CB's.

For the TJ, I've already decided on the spare tire mount/rack. It'll make for a nice, clean and out of the way install..and when it's removed the mounting hardware will be barely noticable behind the tire.

For the XJ, the problem with the rear bumper the tailgate...the antenna will get in the way, which is why I was thinking the front bumper. It's gonna whack stuff on the trail no matter where I put it....but if it's up front at least I can see what it's about to hit.

I'll probably end up fabbing some way to actually mount it to the tailgate itself, so that it's unobtrusive when opening and closing that door....

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, do a fab on the rear end of the XJ, don't be a tool and put on the front bumper. I will not wheel with you if you have a friggin antenna on the front bumper. I can see it now, "Hey check out the pics on Jeep Horizons of the tool with the antenna on his front bumper...it's the fm2cd tool posse!!!" Don't do it dude, don't be that guy!!! I'm lookin for a homemade mod I saw a few months back for the rear end for ya. I'll post it if I find it. I'm just looking out for ya Steve, don't make me have to pull an intervention.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, that's my current thinking. The problem is how do I do it so that when I take the antenna off, there is not some gawdy hunk of metal hanging off the gate? That's what I'm tryin' to figure out....

I want to keep the antenna fairly low. I'd also prefer it not stick out to the side from the body, which is why I was thinking the front bumper since it's the easiest solution....just drill a damn hole.

My personal preference is to mount it to or around the tailgate...again fairly low....somewhere about 1/3 to halfway up. I'm gonna do a little redneck engineering tomorrow and come up with a solution...I'll get pics.

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got them both set up. The TJ's is on the spare tire carrier on the pass side of the 3rd brake light. I had to run a seperate ground wire off the mount due to the dampeners between the carrier and the body. The XJ's is mounted to the body just above the pass side tail light. I don't have pics yet for either, but on the XJ it's basically like this except on the pass side:

I also tuned them and got the TJ to 1.4 and the XJ to 1.5 on the SWR meter. The field test got approx. 1.5 miles between the setups with all kinds of buildings, houses and wiring around...so I expect it to be a little better in the mountains. Still, for trail rides 1.5 miles is more than enough.

It'll do....

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy a mount or did you fab something out of bailing wire and duct tape? I like that mount, it keeps it all out of the way and you don't have to drill or cut holes if you use the brake light screw, or did you add a couple of screws for strength. Good job Steve, I was afraid I'd have to disown you if you put it on the front. Very Happy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake light screw would not have worked as it would not have provided enough strength by itself.

I already had a mount for door jambs that I cut and grinded a little to make fit. Then I drilled three small holes in the body just above the tail light housing to install it. The wire runs into a knockout plug next to the tail light housing with a grommet to keep the weather out.

Steve

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: