Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting on New shackles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Putting on New shackles Reply with quote

OK, now for the installation of new shackles. Oh, and for this exercise 19mm=3/4". PB plaster all nuts and bolts for days before the install.

You will need
a 3/4" socket/ratchet (preferably 1/2", but 3/8 will do, If the nuts are REALLY on there then a breaker bar may also be needed)
a 3/4" Wrench (ratcheting is always preferred, but hey anything will do)
a Scissors Jack (with handle, you tools).
a Sawzall (a hacksaw will do if you have a lot of free time on your hands)
a long punch and a hammer

Ok, I'm mainly going to concentrate on the rear, cause if you can do the rear, the front will get done in half the time.

1. Insert Scissor Jack between the leaf spring and the frame and jack until it is nice and tight, not too tight though. What we are trying to do is to take the pressure off of the shackle bolts so that they will come off way easier)
2. Let's do the top bolt first cause it's the most fun. You should be able to get both of the nuts (top and bottom) off without too much complaining. Remove half of the shackle. Now you can only use the hammer and punch to wiggle the bolt a little bit.
3. Remove bolt head with sawzall (hacksaw)
4. Now whack the headless bolt back through the bushing.You should be able to remove the bottom bolt with little to no problem. Remove the other half of the shackle.
5. Remove old bushings and replace with new ones (coat poly bushings with PB Blaster before you start, you'll thank me later).
6. Put on new shackles, and make sure that you put the nut for the top bolt in the correct position (unlike some idiot DC engineer). You may have to adjsut the jack if you have lift shackles, cause the holes in them will be farther apart.
7. Remove jack and start on the other side.

Now that you can do shackles on the rear, the front should be no problem.

It's been about 9 months since I did this, so if anyone has anything to add, go right ahead.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OlllllllO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easier way to do the rear is take the outer half of the bushing in the frame out and you can manuever the bolt out. then after you did that on both sides lower the jack till you can get the bottom bolts to clear the bottom of the gas tank and just pull em out....saved me about 1 hour of cuttin cause we got a crappy sawzall

94 YJ--3.5" of lift/32x11.50 BFG MT KM's and one bad motor....
nikon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting tactic......do I trust that the bushings are in good enough shape to take em out.....hmmmmmmmm......decisions decisoins
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that on one side, but I had new bushings to install. Nikon doesn't. I kind of did the write up for him.

On the other side I just cut it off- took about 15 seconds with a good sawzall and a fresh blade.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I love you for it Qad Embarassed

I didn't rent a sawzall today cause it's only 24 degrees out and it was snowing when I went to get it. I figured I would wait cause I don't have a sheltered area to do the install. At least I didn't have access to a spot today. I did get a 6 ton bottle jack (I know it's big but it was cheap and it had a hard case so I wont lose pieces). I also got the right size socket and a York peppermint patty..... I know two places that I have access to a sawzall but I have to wait to get their ok to use em. I have to have the ok from the captain of hte fire department here or a jeep buddy - if I am lucky he will call me tonight or tomorrow so he can give me a hand. I hope to get it done this week sometime. Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: