Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires for a Stock '04 TJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Tires for a Stock '04 TJ Reply with quote

My buddy just bought a new TJ and was wondering what the largest size tires that would fit stock using his canyons. Tire rub is not much of a factor because he will not be offroad much and he's planning on a 2.5" to 3 " suspension lift for next year and would like to get the tires first and add the lift later. Any thoughts?
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for a Stock '04 TJ Reply with quote

majikxms wrote:
My buddy just bought a new TJ and was wondering what the largest size tires that would fit stock using his canyons. Tire rub is not much of a factor because he will not be offroad much and he's planning on a 2.5" to 3 " suspension lift for next year and would like to get the tires first and add the lift later. Any thoughts?

He could get 31x10.50s.. Otherwise there will be rubbing issues (not against flares - spring perches, etc..), regardless of lift.. He could get spacers to help if he wants to go bigger tire, but if he discos, he's rub against his flares, etc. at stock..
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31x10.5 is the largest you'll get on a stock height Jeep with stock wheels without major issues with rubbing. The 31s may or may not rub the control arms when the wheel is fully turned...but that's a simple fix by throwing a washer or two under the steering stops.

A 32x11.5 or 33x12.5 will physically fit fine on the wheels...but they'll rub in one way or another because of the backspacing on the wheels and also the unlifted height of the Jeep. The spring perches in the rear will be an issue with the width for anything over 10.5" width on the stock wheels.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those 30's he's running on there now? If not, I have a set of 30's for sale... rofl

Oh yeah...tell him "Nice color" too.... Mr. Green laugh

Seriously, I would tell Rick to keep his shirt on until he gets the lift. If he's going up 2.5" - 3" he'll be able to go to 32"x11.5" or 33"x12.5" (as long as he gets some wheels with around 4.5" or lower backspacing). So there's no sense in buying 31's now...he might as well save that money and put it towards lift/wheels/tires combo next year.

My $0.02.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, I'll let him know. I'm trying to get him to join up with us here at Jeep Horizons so he can ask the questions himself. I hate being the third person in a relationship. Anyway, I would wait to get the lift and tires together if I was him, why waste the money if you're going to go bigger, I'll shoot my $.02 in that direction.

Rick said they are 30's, but they sure don't look like it.
blupupher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest the X comes with is a 225/75/15, which is around 28".
I agree, do it all at once. no need to buy some 31's now then in 6 months buy some 32's or 33's, unless he wants to have a set of street tires and a set of trail tires.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nod here for not bothering with the tires until it's lifted. If it's not gonna be wheeled, why bother with going bigger right now....it's not like it's gonna help with the already poor mileage we get to begin with. Not to mention that there'll be the performance loss from going bigger (might be a little, might be a lot, depends on the existing gears and new size). Just saying that it seems like a waste to get the rubber now Mr. Green .
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to wait...I'll push him to wait until he's ready to get the lift. Thanks for the $.02. thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: