Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LED Bulbs For Your Rig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAFirefighter11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: LED Bulbs For Your Rig Reply with quote

http://www.superbrightleds.com

For those interested in getting either an LED bulb setup, or an LED module setup, this site has amazing prices. I've searched for the longest time and have yet to find anyone who remotely competes with these guys.

For the rear brake/turn signal/parking light:
-1157 R19 LED bulb $ 6.99

I went with the above light in the wide angle. Some modification is required if you want them to look extra bright (aiming the LED's at the magnifier in the lens), etc. You can go with 30 LED Narrow, or 19LED Narrow if you really want to.

For the front turn signal, you need either:
-1157 A19 Amber (19 LED)$ 6.99

-1157 A30 Amber (30 LED)$ 8.99

For the front side markers & interior gauges you need either:
-WLED-A Amber #194 (Single LED) $ 0.79

-WLED-A4 Amber #194 (4 LED) $ 1.59

-WLED-A6 Amber #194 (6 LED) $ 1.99

To order the above bulbs, just go to this page:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

(Note that there is a page 2)

Once these are installed, your turn signal WILL NOT BLINK. On my YJ I just swapped the hazard relay with the turn signal relay and everything worked out fine Very Happy Good luck, any questions, let me know. And here are pics of my install:
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=834

If you want a price comparison... one of the guys on the boards did a write up on LED bulb install on his TJ... He did two things "wrong". First, he purchased the bulbs from a highly inflated site; Second, he didn't cut out his mounts and put them back in upside down. That makes the beam that much brighter.

This is the site where he got his... just for comparison:
https://www.netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/default.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PAFirefighter11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update... If you do some cutting and spinning things around, you'll get even MORE output. I also sold the R19's to a friend and got some narrow angle R30's... INCREDIBLY bright!!! Smile

Quick info on how to and some pics....

First, as I said, I swapped out the wide angle R19's for narrow angle R30's:

I then took the stock mounting bracket, cut the bottom off of it, and flipped it around. I then bent back the little mount where the light is and faced it straight backwards:

Here's two shots of the difference between the R19 WIDE angle and the R30 Narrow angle LED's:

R19:

R30:

See the incredible difference? The R30 and the setup I have throw a LOT of light backwards. I've had friends complain because they are blinding... EXCELLENT! Just what I want!

Another plus I came across, of LED's versus regular bulbs, is that if you're on the highway, driving 60 MPH, and you hit your brakes... The car behind you has an additional 60 FEET of stopping distance from the time your LED's engage. Pretty cool! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking sweet! Thanks for all of the info, when the time's right, I'll be getting some LEDs.. good mod
PAFirefighter11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile They are really very cool .. I love the instant on/instant off, and now the brightness of them.

If you wanna put just the rear brake lights/turn signals as I have, you'll be fine with just the LED bulbs I have here. IF you want to do your entire rig with LED's, you need to get a little capacitor thingie. Once installed, it will trick the flasher unit into thinking there is a higher amperage draw (aka from a stock bulb). Otherwise, the bulbs won't flash at all. It's easy to do, if you need help, just ask.. when you finally end up doing it.

Black2001TJ wrote:
Looking sweet! Thanks for all of the info, when the time's right, I'll be getting some LEDs.. good mod

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, this is the relay you'll need on your jeep. Wink
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the links!! This is a very cool and worth while mod for lighting..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Group Buys & Deal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: