Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winch Power: Dual or Single Battery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Winch Power: Dual or Single Battery Reply with quote

Posted this elsewhere incase it looks familiar:

I've recently purchased a Warn 9.5ti for my TJ. When it arrives late next week I want to have everything ready for the install. I'm at a crossroads regarding powering it - do I stay with a solo battery (just replace the factory rinky-dink one with an Optima deep cycle) or step up to a dual battery set up? Can I avoid replacing the stock alternator by opting for one set up or the other?

Dual Batteries: For those who do run dual batteries in a TJ, where do you put them? I've looked at fabbing something similar to Brad Kilby's dual battery tray and am not convinced that it the best mounting solution due to the AC line rerouting for my 02 TJ. Instead I think placing the second battery on the opposite side of the engine bay where the optional ABS system (which I do not have) goes is a better place for it. Any thoughts? Other solutions?

Single Batteries: do you recommend any deep cycle over another? The alternator issue - upgrade or keep the stock one?

Recommends for an alternator upgrade?

I do not anticipate using the winch every weekend. More likely it'll be an occasional use item that gets a very good work out when it does see use.
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this is the kind of answer you are looking for, but I just got a winch a month ago. Mounted it up and the first trip out I had to use it 5 times(only 1 time for myself). I am running a plain replacement battery and had no problems.
Crazy
BlueJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Battery? Reply with quote

I put on a 9.5ti recently, but I've only had to use it twice so far. It's hooked up to my stock '01 TJ battery for now, but I'm going to get a Optima Yellow top shortly. I don't think I'm going to be using it so much at one time to require dual batteries, but do like the security of the Yellow Top's deep cycle performance.

What does everyone else say???

BlueJ
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my X9000i twice on a Heavy Duty Battery (Autozone). No problems so far.

I am planning an alternator upgrade and dual optimas soon.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Markus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. On adcice given here and elsewhere I've decided to go with a single Optima Yellow and stay with the factory alternator for the time being. Down the road I expect a dual battery and high output alt are in order but I'll get by with a single for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: