Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld radio and cb radio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Handheld radio and cb radio Reply with quote

Ok this is a newbie cb question because well Im a newbie cb question asking kind of guy. Wink

I have a couple of those cobra hand held radios. Now do they work or will they be able to talk to a mounted cb?

I guess what Im saying is with my hand helds I can pick a channel and then there are sub channels within channels. I use my hand helds while driving with others and if I can be lazy and just hook up a cb and let others use my hand helds it would save me the torture of carrying a handheld and installing a cb that I want eventually, but I dont exactly need just yet if a cb will not work with a handheld radio.

Ok did that sound newbie enough. Wink

Keep in mind I would like a cb because Im gearing up to wheel some more and a cb just makes a Jeep complete. Gotta have that rough and tough look you kno. Very Happy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Cobra's you have...are they FRS (Family Radio Service ) or CB's? FRS's and CB's do not transmit on the same frequencies, so they will not work together...

It sounds like you have sidebands (channels within channels) which leads me to believe that you've got CB's....but they could also be FRS's with "privacy channels"...

What's the model number of the ones you've got?

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think they are called privacy channels. I do recall the manual talking about that when I was playing with them. Something about if you get bleed over you can switch to a private channel to talk with everybody in your family.

I would post the model number, but since we've moved I haven't seen the radios. Probably still in a box waiting to be opened. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:
Yeah I think they are called privacy channels. I do recall the manual talking about that when I was playing with them. Something about if you get bleed over you can switch to a private channel to talk with everybody in your family.

I would post the model number, but since we've moved I haven't seen the radios. Probably still in a box waiting to be opened. Wink

If they have privacy channels, then they are FRS's and won't work with CB's....they transmit on different frequencies....

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup - what he said. chances are that they're the frs ones that are only good for those frequencies (they usually come bundled in packs of two so that you can talk to another person) but in the event that they turn to be handheld cb's then you can get away with just a magnet mounted antenna and an adapter to fit it to your cb. this will bump up the range considerable and keep you from having to hard mount a cb.
chris

frs basic design

handheld cb basic design

mikeleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have an HT (handheld transceiver or handheld HAM radio), you won't be able to talk to CB's like the guys said above. With an HT or any other HAM radio in that band, you can set it up to talk to the FRS (and similar radios). My wife's uncle and I do that very thing. He carries his Kenwood EVERYWHERE and has a few memory channels set up for my motorola's. (and a few others for some Cobra's and Panasonics his friends carry). Other than that, they sell some cheap handheld CB's at Walmart, but for the sake of car-to-car and trail/obstacle spotting, the FRS won't be a bad backup. I use them a lot because I have them set up well and don't have to worry about a bunch of mall traffic. Also having the HT gives me more options as well, but an FCC ticket and the cost of the radios is something that's not an easy thing (like a CB or FRS).

Hope this helps (or at least gives you more ideas...)
Michael A. LeBlanc
97 TJ Sport (It's BLUE damnit!)
too much to list, so just be happy I'm alive...
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what you guys said helps a lot. Im just curious and would like to get a CB for when I need it. Aswell having an extra handheld for traveling with others opposed to my wife racking her cell phone bill in the 2342342352353223535423 of dollars. Wink
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some thoughts for CB's. Mine works pretty good with an external antenna and I have the option of taking it with me if I end up needing to hike out of some canyon. Embarassed
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I'm with Troy here. I have handheld Cobra HH 38 WX ST's with handheld mic/speakers in both Jeeps. They are hooked up to 4' Firestick II FS-4's. The setups work great, and like Troy said, you have the option of taking them with you if you need to.

Whichever way you go, make sure that you get them tuned...it makes all the difference. I got a cheapo $35 SWR meter from Radio Shack and did it myself...

HTH

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to add to this...make sure to use a good quality cable. I used the Fireflex Coax with the "Firering" and stud setup from Firestik.

Also, here's an image and link to the SWR Meter I got...$31.49

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: