Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Cell Phone, which one to get?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What phone should he buy folks?
Kyocera SE47
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Motorola T730
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Samsung SCH-a610
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: New Cell Phone, which one to get? Reply with quote

So it's time to change cell phone companies and I'm torn on which phone to get. I'm going to get service through Verizon and these are the phones that I am looking at.

Kyocera SE47- pretty cool, it is super small (it slides) $50

Motorola T730-personal information manager, FM radio. I've always liked motorolla phones.$50

Samsung SCH-a610 Camera phone, voice recognition, picture caller id, swivel display.$179

If anyone has heard anything positive/negative about any of these phones let me know. I'm going to get one next week sometime.

Thanks

Back from the Dead??

Last edited by qadhafi on Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slightly older version of the Motorola - had it about a year. It's held up well considering how many times I've dropped it. Embarassed Don't have any experience with the others though so I can't say if they're any better.
However, I do have a comment about providers. Avoid Cingular Wireless at all costs. I got a phone and service for them prior to an out of state trip. The phone broke within a week. I was unable to check voicemail because the phone was broken. I called countless tools at Cingular (stores, customer service etc.) and got nothing but a runaround. I've been battling with them for months now - I refuse to pay for the service they billed me before I was unable to cancel it. Anytime I call, I always get somebody's voicemail who never calls back. I've now undertaken a letter writing campaign telling them how shitty their company is. soapbox
Now, what was the question? Mr. Green
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had cingular, and will never have them again. My mom had AT&T Wireless and hated it. Her company phone is Verizon and it picks up everyfrickinwhere.

I have Nextel now, and their service is great. Awesome Customer Service (the best company I've ever dealt with). The only thing is their coverage area isn't the best, especially in Rural Areas. I also made the mistake of letting my girlfriend add a phone on to my account. Lets just say that I end up paying the whole bill most of the time. I now have the excuse that Nextel is so expensive and I need a new phone company. They're really not any more expensive than anyone else, and the Walkie Talkie is kind of cool. Also, I used to know a lot of people with Nextels, and that's when they pay off. Almost everyone has switched companies and now I've got a walkie talkie to only one person.

I was dead set on getting a new phone (know how you are when you have decided on something but have to wait? Evil or Very Mad ), but my current month with Nextel doesn't end until the 8th. So I would be wasting like 3 weeks of service that I have to pay for anyway.

I hate waiting. Evil or Very Mad

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Verizon - much better company. We have about a zillion Nextels at work. Nice features but coverage can be spotty due to location and the system usually gets bogged down and becomes unavailable every afternoon at 5pm. Rolling Eyes
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to Nextel from ATT Wireless. Best move I've ever made. All the places my ATT phone didn't work, the Nextel does. All the places my ATT did work, the Nextel does also. Coverage is pretty good in my area. I'm like smack in the middle between NYC and Philly so we get some benefits as they beef up the entire area b/c of people that live between the cities and commute. I'm curious how well it'll work at PAP. My ATT phone sucked up there.

Right now, two of my buddies switched from T-Mobile to Cingular. I didn't think it was the brightest idea but the one really wanted a specific phone. I showed them a Nextel plan that was better and cheaper for them. (I'm trying to get as many people to switch now) We can get 10% off the service and a minimum 30% off the phones under the government contract Nextel has with the State of Pennsylvania.

Now they're both having problems. They tried to port their numbers from T-Mobile. The one number didn't port and he ended up going back to the store for help. Turns out something was wrong with his SIM card. Now he's tried setting up the voicemail. Went through all the prompts and it worked for a day....now it doesn't answer if he doesn't.

The other guy....well, his service hasn't even been turned on yet and it's been a week. The 2 of them were on a family plan with T-mobile with the account in the other guys name. Cingular can't port the other guys number into their service...but his T-mobile phone won't receive calls. He can dial out...but when you call him, you get a message saying the number is not active.

Eventually they'll learn to trust me. I called Nextel. Met with sales rep at a Subway. Signed all the papers. Phones arrived the next day. Happy with nextel service. Called Customer Care to port my number from ATT. 2 hours later, it's been ported and ATT service is shut off.

I really like the phone and service though. I've got one of the free incoming plans with unlimited direct connect. The 2 people I talk to most, one has a nextel from the borough and the other is the g/f who I took with me to Nextel under my account. We'll likely have a nextel in each fire apparatus so I think I made a wise decision. Haven't had a problem with the system bogging down yet either.

qadhafi, you should be able to cancel service and they'll prorate your bill for the amount you didn't use. I believe. I don't know how Nextel really works yet. It's only been about a month. The first bill hasn't arrived yet.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric- DON'T LOOSE YOUR PHONE!!

My phone got stolen out of my Jeep (I forgot to bring it in) and so I had to file a police report (1 day), then call it in to the Nextel Insurance company that will only SHIP you a new phone (2-3 days). Any other phone company that I've ever had will just give you a phone out of stock (after you pay the deductible, that is). I thought that that was the suckiest thing in the world. If I loose a phone/ get it stolen then I should have a ohone by the next day at the latest, I shouldn't have to wait for a phone to be shipped to me when there is a store 5 minutes from my house. You'd think that they would want me on that phone as soon as possible so I could burn up minutes.

Other than that incident, I've been more than pleased with the service that Nextel has given me. Their 411 is top notch and you'll never spend more than 1 minute on hold for customer service.

Back from the Dead??
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Eric- DON'T LOOSE YOUR PHONE!!

My phone got stolen out of my Jeep (I forgot to bring it in) and so I had to file a police report (1 day), then call it in to the Nextel Insurance company that will only SHIP you a new phone (2-3 days). Any other phone company that I've ever had will just give you a phone out of stock (after you pay the deductible, that is). I thought that that was the suckiest thing in the world. If I loose a phone/ get it stolen then I should have a ohone by the next day at the latest, I shouldn't have to wait for a phone to be shipped to me when there is a store 5 minutes from my house. You'd think that they would want me on that phone as soon as possible so I could burn up minutes.

Other than that incident, I've been more than pleased with the service that Nextel has given me. Their 411 is top notch and you'll never spend more than 1 minute on hold for customer service.

ATT is the same way. Everything has to go through customer care and any thing that's being replaced under warranty or through the insurance coverage was shipped out. You can't go to the store. Hell, ATT doesn't even take payments at the stores any more either (it's been this way for about 2 years now). ATT stores have salespeople that are intended to push a phone and some minutes to new customer. That's it. The stores were horrible to deal with if you were a current customer.

EDIT: Just wanted to add how much quicker the Nextel Customer Service people actually answer the phone. I've called ATT CC multiple times and at a variety of different times of day and even days of the week. Every time, it was at least a 15 minute wait...minimum. The last 2 times, upwards of 25-30 minutes each time. I called Nextel twice since starting my service. The first time, the rep picked up in 2 minutes. The second time, 3 minutes. I was timing them b/c I wanted to see how the experience was going to be when compared to Nextel. Right there...I knew I had made a good move.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sprint which sucks sometimes (like when i want to send a text message) but usually it works great especially at my school which is in the sticks.

I have had experience with samsung phones and have never been impressed with the mechanical quality and durability of their phones (im alittle rough on them) We sell that samsung at Best Buy and i've played with it. The hinge looks like it would break the first time you dropped it, it is way to small for the size of the phone. Motorola is always a good choice, i've seen some with alot of scratches and dents from drunks dropping them and still working. The kyocera is probably a decent phone but i'd wonder how durable the slide mechanism is on them.[/code]

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
The kyocera is probably a decent phone but i'd wonder how durable the slide mechanism is on them.

Same here. The salesman at Cingular that sold my buddies their phones didn't recommend it. He said the slide mechanism wasn't that great. He also pointed out that there was an indentical phone, minus the slide mechanism, that was approximately $200 cheaper.

One of my other friends is really hard on phones. At one point, he went through 5 phones in 5 months. His recommended brand, Panasonic. It went through hell and back and still worked. For example, one day he dropped it out in the snow without realizing. It was there for a couple days and worked fine once he found it and brought it inside to thaw. His Samsung from Sprint lasted also. I do not know which model he had. But he hated the service.
Owen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That slider is awesome. I am getting one next month when my trade in comes up...

Verizon > everything else Mr. Green
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone wanted to know.

The Kyocera Slider or the Motorolla is gonna run me $50

The Samsung will run me $179.

Back from the Dead??
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: I got the Slider Reply with quote

Only $50 with a mail-in rebate.I have 15 days to make up my mind, I can get a different phone or totally cancel everything withing 15 days.

Back from the Dead??
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to find the article, but Samsung makes some of the best phones, I've never had one but a lot of my friends have that one through sprint and love it. I'd go with that one, plus the camera is fun to have so you can snap pictures of cute girls.
Say hello to emily one of my good friends Wink

My Morning Jacket
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Dude, You know that you stalked that chick and then ran up to her and snapped the picture. You then proceeded to scamper back to your belltower and seclusion. laugh laugh

Back from the Dead??
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well sometimes the camera phones can allow you to take picture of things that are very nice! It's just fun when you have one and friends send you pictures of boobs, I mean you can't go wrong.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: