Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD Wheelin' pics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: FM2CD Wheelin' pics Reply with quote

OK, so here's the way this is gonna work.

1) Post up your pics to the Events Forum

2) PM either myself and/or Qadhafi and let us know.

3) We'll add the pics here to this thread and include a link back to the original post in Events (where y'all can post replies).

The reason I'm doing it this way is to keep junk posts out...that means you Nikon! Finger Seriously, I want to only have wheeling pics of FM2CD sanctioned trail rides in here...so it seems the best way to avoid any confusion.

Qad, if you have anything to add or a better way to do it lemme know.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: FM2CD Pics from some backwoods hick road near Homer, GA. Reply with quote

FM2CD Pics from some backwoods hick road near Homer, GA.
qadhafi wrote:

Bryan and I felt the need for some mud, and after winter buildups, we had to have a shakedown run.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: FM2CD Pics from Shoe Creek Trail in VA. Reply with quote

FM2CD Pics from Shoe Creek Trail in VA

thephantum wrote:
We had an awesome time on Saturday! This pic says it all....

That's Dale and Lydia (Mark and MJ's daughter) grinnin' like fools... Mr. Green

We had 5 Jeeps on this trip (2 XJ's and 3 TJ's) with all kinds of terrain to play in: forest roads, steep inclines, lots of rocks and even a little mud...

Here are the first round of pics. These are from one of digi cams on the trail. We had a total of 7 cameras, including one videotape...so stay tuned for lots more pics...

This first group of shots are from a little hill climb that is tougher than it looks. Only three of us attempted the climb, Jen, James and myself.
...of course I did it like 4 times each way... Finger

Trevors parking job...

Dale's parking job (MONSTER flex on the stocker laugh )

Climbing pics:
Jen -

James (with me spotting him)

Me -

Here's a couple from a mini rock garden we found where I almost rolled my XJ. Was doing fine here...

If I had not steered into the direction of travel to keep the wheels turning it would have rolled onto it's side here...I will say I was gettin ready to reach for the key, I thought it was going over....

Finally, some shots of Dale goin' through the "car wash"....

Like I said, there's a boat load more pictures...so stay tuned!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Some more pics from the Shoe Creek FM2CD run! Reply with quote

Some more pics from the Shoe Creek FM2CD run!
thephantum wrote:
Just got a whole slew of pictures back today!!! Here's a few of them...

FM2CD in da Waffle Hizzouse! laugh

Lined up and ready to go!

A little flexin'...

More flexin'

OK...she wins!

Yeah, that's right...she can drive!

A little more flex...

MONSTER flex on the stocker!!! rofl

WOW...that stocker can flex!

More monster flexin'

mmmmmmm...mud!

Dale makin' a splash!

FM2CD has left the trail!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics from the run this past weekend.

thephantum wrote:
These are all pics from Drake69's digi cam. You can see all of Drake's pics here ==> Clicky. I'll have some from my camera in a few days.

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics from the run on May 23rd

thephantum wrote:
Some more pics from the 23rd. Click for the full size versions. I thumbnailed these because the pics are large...so dialup users beware.

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: "Unofficial" FM2CD VA Trail ride - Rapidan, VA Reply with quote

"Unofficial" FM2CD VA Trail ride - Rapidan, VA

thephantum wrote:
OK...so it wasn't really a trail ride. Dale (majikxms) and I went searching for some legal trails for future FM2CD VA trail rides. Of course, Jen came along for the ride and Dale's cousin in law Brian rode with him. We went up north of Charlottsville into Rapidan...and we hit the jackpot. We found a few Jeep trails to plan rides around and only explored maybe a third of the area! So it was a good day.

Enjoy the pics...

It was raining almost the whole drive out from Richmond and that meant one thing...MUD!

Although we hooked up at Waffle House, it was mobbed. So we decided to do BK instead and eat in the parking lot while going over the maps. Not only did we have these (Dale has a thing for maps), but we each had GPS and I had brought the laptop with all the 24K & 50K Topo maps for the area on it...that's a lot of maps. Shocked

As we headed up Rt33, things started to look a little better...like it might actually clear up...but it never did...

This was the first trail head that we found...the rocks at the entrance seem to have been deliberatly put there to keep out the riff raff. Problem is, not all of our club members have the armor to make it over them without serious damage. Still, it's a legal trail and a small group of us could get in there...

Since Dale's XJ is bone stock, has almost no armor and is his (actually his wife's) daily driver, we had to figure out another way into the system...time to bust out the laptop. From left to right that's Brian, Dale and me.

"Dude, I knew we should have turned right at Albuquerque!!!" laugh

These next few were taken very close to Buzzard Rock, which is just about the highest point in the area. Unfortuantly, it was really overcast, so this picture overlooking the valley does not do the view justice...I mean you can't even see the Blue Ridge montains in the backdrop... Confused

Also from the same spot. That's Dale, Jen and Brian.

...and me and Brian...

Me and Jen on a logging road on the way back down from the top.

A few shots of a side trail that I decided to go about a 1/2 mile up and then come back down on. It's much steeper and much narrower than it looks in the pics...I ended up taking out a small tree on the way up trying to avoid his great grandfather who jumped out at me....damn trees...

After a busy day of wheelin' and exploring and playing in the mountains...it's time for some nourishment....
mmmmmm...Mexican Food! drool

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM2CD VA at Rapidan

thephantum wrote:
Had a lot of fun today...despite a number of disappointments, at least for Dale and I....but first the fun!!! Mr. Green

These pics are from Dales digicam. There will be more pics as I gather them from everyone. First here's all of us airing down at the turnaround that leads into the forest/logging road at around 9:45am.

After getting ready we headed up the logging road and turned off into the trail head. We gave the word to drop into 4lo and the word came back over the radio that Vic's t-case lever broke when he tried to get it in...

Here's the offender (that's Vic).

Basically the retainer "let go" and the entire lever came out in his hand. rofl Sooooo...we had to tear out his center console to get it back in. It took us about 15 or 20 minutes. Here's me and Vic workin' on it.

...and the finished product...it ain't pretty but it functioned.

So then it was onto some trail riding! Here's Dale and James going though some tight, narrow turns.

Then me going up and over a couple of rocks in the trail.

Fun stuff...but here's one of the dissapointments...the pic says it all.

It HELLA SUCKED! It seems the legal trail got washed out recently (within the last year). We were on a narrow stretch of uphill trail and the no tresspass signs we're at the point where a side trail turned off and dropped down steeply AND we had 6 Jeeps that we now had to get turned around...with no room to do it. pissed

We turned the three lead vehicles around up top. I backed into the side trail as far as I could go (with out sliding down) and let Dale and James get past me. Then I turned out and they turned around the same way. Then we backed the other 3 (Allen, Jen and Vic) down about a 1/8 mile or so to a spot where there was more room.

So we basically came out the way we went in and since it was just after 1pm, we decided to go up to Buzzard Rocks and have a little lunch.

Dale

James and Megan

Jen and MJ

Allen

So you might ask, "Steve, why are you and Dale standing on those big rocks, we thought you were eatin' lunch?!?"

This would be why...them buzzards sure have a nice view... Shocked

I had to include this pic. That's Vic's kids, Christopher and Sarah. I have decided to give up trail boss duties and turn them over to Christopher...that's how cool a kid he is!

So, we made our way down from Buzzard Rocks and decided to try to head further up the logging road in an attempt tp find our way to the other side of the trail. But the road we thought lead there dead ended (the next disappointment). So we decided to call it a day. Dale and I had planned to hit a Geocache north of the trail system as he had located one of the little yellow Jeeps...he was gonna stash it in a cache in the middle of nowhere. Since we couldn't get through the way we had planned we decided to go around and up Rt664. James and Megan headed out to Megan Grandparents house and Allen and Sandy split the scene as well (I think they went to Outback). Everyone else headed back to Charlottesville where we would meet them.

Well we got about halfway there and...guess what...we dead ended into a hiking trail. Every map Dale had looked at showed it as a road all the way through. So we pulled out the laptop and even though all my TOPO's showed it a thru route, the highways map showed it as a deadend (the ONE map Dale never checked). So that was another disapointment.

Oh well, we drove down to Charlottesville and met everyone for dinner. Despite the disappointments, we did have a lot fun...and that's all that really matters. Wink

Like I said, there will be more pics in a few days as I gather them from everyone...including MONSTER flex shots of the stocker! Here's a poorly exposed teaser...

rofl

So, once again, FM2CD has left the trail!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: FM2CD VA Trail hunting: Big Levels Reply with quote

FM2CD VA Trail hunting: Big Levels

thephantum wrote:
Another one of our "trail runs that's not a trial run". Once again the main purpose was to explore the trail system prior to taking a large group in there (Dale says it was to test out his new tires...he just got a set of brandie new BFG AT's). We applied the lessons learned at Rapidan by not just eyeballing the trail head...this time we took the trails and looked for obstacles, bypasses, dead ends, turnarounds, etc.

Big Levels is actually a number of trails: Kennedy Ridge, Stoney Run, Cold Spring, Mills Creek and Torry Ridge, most of which collapse into Bald Mountain Jeep Trail. This is all George Washington National Forest, BTW. Of course we both had our GPSes running and got some awesome track logs...everything between BGLVL6 and BGLVL40 is trail.

We came in from the North side (BGLVL6). There was a gate but it was open. By contrast, on the South side (where we exited) there was no gate. Although at this scale you can't see it, on the obstacles/bypasses we encountered there are "loops" in the track as we went around 2 and 3 times...first over the obstacle then back around through the bypass, or vice versa. So we now have our own extremely detailed maps of each challenge in the trail system.

Most of the trail system is made up of forest road, which gets very rough in some places. There are a few places to play along with lots of mud holes...I mean lots (prolly due to all the rain we've had here in VA). Using Dales XJ as an example:
Before:

After:

Oh...and did I mention the veiw?

As is now obvious, Dale had his XJ and Jen and I were in the TJ. Since, the mountng system for my GPS is in the XJ, I had to improvise...nuttin a lil duct tape can't fix...git er dun!

A little hill climbing that ends up in some small mud puddles...there was a bypass here, but pics of the bypass would be boring!

A little mud....

Now what would an FM2CD post be without some shots of {drumroll}

MONSTER FLEX ON THE STOCKER!

...and of course the TJ.

Now I think this was the highlight of the trip. As we were almost out of the system, we came across this:

So, naturally, all three of us reverted to being 5 year olds. I mean, what would you have done? So allow us to share our play time with y'all...

WELCOME TO BALD MOUNTAIN BUSTED DOWN BUS LINES.

WON'T YOU STEP ABOARD?

OUR ACCOMIDATIONS ARE COZY...

AND OUR DRIVERS ARE OH SO FRIENDLY...

laugh laugh laugh

So, if ya couldn't tell we had an awesome time. But it was very productive too. Dale and I were hauling ass though the system and we covered a lot of ground. When we bring a larger group through, things will slow down a lot, so, we've set up at least two future trips for the chapter...without having our members see the same trail twice. We are targeting early November for the first club run up there.

So let's see, are the Jeeps happy?

Is our Trail Master happy?

Shocked ...um...a bit too happy there Dale....take it down a notch buddy... rofl rofl rofl

Anyway, since everyone is happy, the FM2CD VA Trail Boss and Trail Master have left the trail!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: FM2CD at Shoe Creek on 8/28/04 Reply with quote

FM2CD at Shoe Creek on 8/28/04

thephantum wrote:
So it was time for another trip to good ol' Shoe Creek. We were all looking forward to this trip...as a matter of fact, Vic and Dale had been counting down for weeks! Surprisingly enough, as many times as we have been there, we had no good GPS track logs for Shoe Creek...only a few scattered waypoints, so that was one of our goals. Another was to explore a side trail that T.O.W. had told us about and that The OffCamber Crawlers had taken just prior to Camp Jeep.

So, Jen and I packed up the Jeeps and headed out to Charlottesville to meet everyone. On the way out, I noticed a unmarked 5-0 speed checking everyone. I can't say how...it's illegal here in VA to own such devices. Mr. Green

Anyway we get to C-ville right about 8 on the dot. Allen was waiting for us and Dale wasn't (plus we hadn't heard from him). He didn't show up until about 8:40...here's why:

That unmarked 5-0 tagged him for doing 80 in a 65 as well as gave him a ticket for his window tinting. There's a lot more to the story, but I'll let Dale tell it...since it happened to him. Suffice it to say that this cop was hardcore. It's a funny story. rofl

Anyway, we had a pretty good turnout, six Jeeps. We all left C-ville at around 9 and made our way to the trail. We went in on the northside entrance, which takes you past Crabtree falls and up to the Appalacian Trail. Here's all of us...although I'm not sure if we are getting ready to disco/air down or if we are already aired down and about to set the running order...Dale took the pic...he'll know. From front to back in the picture that's me (in Jens Jeep), Dale, Jen (in my Jeep), Vic, Allen and Trevor.

We took most of our pictures just after crossing the AT. There was a nice section of the trail for some poser shots, so we made sure to get pics of everbody.
Me (again, in Jens Jeep)

Trevor (who's finally talking about lifting that thing so he can fit those 33's right)

...and of course, Dale showing (drumroll please) MONSTOR FLEX ON THE STOCKER!!!

Vic & family (Kristy, Christopher and Sarah)

Allen & Sandy

Jen (in my Jeep)

From there we continued down the trail...hitting some fun stuff along the way...like this:

Then we hit the obstacle that I saw back in May and vowed to take on our next trip. It's actually about 50 feet off the main trail...making it totally optional. You can sort of see the start of it in this pic.

Basically, there's a huge rock on one side, a tree on the other and a series of medium sized boulders in the middle...needless to say, I was the only one with enough balls (or lacking the brains...not sure which) to go over it. Ended up tearing up the soft top on the tree getting through it (damn trees)...oh well...time to upgrade. There's a vid of my first attempt at it, but it's like 50MB. I'll see if I can edit and shrink it down...it includes me snapping...'cause everybody was barking out spotting instructions at once. I had to tell them all to shut the F up and let Dale spot me. rofl

After that, we continued down and started up the side trail. We got a little ways in and stopped for lunch...we had barely finished when it started raining. So we pushed on in the rain. The side trail was fun, no real obstacles...just nice rough forest road. After coming out of the side trail I ended up misjudging an easy obstacle in the rain and got hung up on the front diff. Rolling Eyes Trevor had to strap me out.

That was about it, we hit the little hill climb and got a track into the rock garden for later reference....

Trail damage - aside for the soft top on the TJ, Vic busted one front shock and bent the other...I suspect it was the extensions he had...

After the ride, Vic's Jeep has been dubbed with the first ever FM2CD VA nickname...someone cue Blue Oyster Cult please...

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh No! They say he's got to go....
GO! GO! GODZILLA!

Oh No! There goes Tokyo...
GO! GO! GODZILLA!

rofl

Seriously, the thing is a beast...nice work Vic! thumbs

Once again, FM2CD has left the trail!

That's all for now...

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: FM2CD VA at Big Levels on Oct 30, 2004 Reply with quote

FM2CD VA at Big Levels on Oct 30, 2004

thephantum wrote:
So it was time for our last trip of the year and it was an awesome one. Everyone was looking forward to the trip. Dale and I had done our homework on this one. We went up there on a scouting trip in late July. So we had seen the entire trail and had created our own highly detailed maps from our GPS track logs. The following is the tracklog from this past weekends trip:

We all met up at Shoneys on Rt 340 at 9AM. We had a good turnout for this trip; 8 Jeeps in total. After stuffing our bellies full with an all-you-can-eat-breakfast, we rolled on over to the Super WallyWorld parking lot for a group shot:

From left to right - Vics' XJ, Allens' XJ, Trevors' TJ, Jens' TJ, My XJ, Dales' XJ, Jim & Sherrys' Unlimited, Ricks' TJ.

We then got in order and headed down to Big Levels. The running order was me in the lead with the modded Jeeps behind me, followed by Dale (in the middle) leading the stockers with Allen as our tailgunner. Dale, Allen and myself are the only ones with CB's...the entire group used FRSes for communication. So the three of us could have clear communications with each other, which worked out quite well.

We stopped at a little water crossing about 1.5 miles shy of the trail head to air down and disconnect as well as take our first wheeling pis of the day (Dale took the pics so there's none of him crossing):

Me

Vic

Trevor

Jen

Jim & Sherry

Rick

Allen

We then got back onto Coal Rd and headed down to the trail head (BGLV02 on the map). Once we pulled in, I called out for everyone to go into 4 Lo and guess what?

Yep, he did it again...the T-case lever came right out in his hand. It took about 15 minutes to get the center console out and fix it...the plan is to weld it in this winter so it doesn't happen again. rofl

We then proceeded down the trail and to the first obstacle (BLOBS2 on the map). It had degraded since we were up there in July. Back then it was a simple hill climb. Now it was all uneven and rocky...WOOHOO! So, we got out to let everyone get a look at it.

Then we had at it..basically we let the lifted Jeeps just go for it and then Dale and I spotted the stockers over. There is a bypass, but everyone took the obstacle...good stuff.

Me

Oh no....they say he's got to go....GO! GO! GODZILLA!!! headbang

Trevor. Yes campers...he did go airborne. Hopefully, I've got it on film. Mr. Green

Jen

Dale

Jim & Sherry

Rick

Allen

We then continued down the trail to the first split. If you look at the map you can see the split highlighted in yellow. We had planned to take everyone up the more direct way, but once I went about 50 yards in, I realized just how much it had deteriorated. It was totally knarly (aww yea) and not stocker friendly. So we split the group up. The lifted folks followed me and the stockers followed Dale up the longer section, which was a bit easier. We met back up where the trail rejoins...then we went to the overlook:

Good stuff...but now it was lunch time! So we stopped at the clearing where three of the trails converge (BGLV07 on the map) and busted out the coolers. Of course, while the big kids were taking a break from playing...the little kids were unleashed from the Jeeps to play. Smile :

The rest of the trail is pretty easy stuff, a couple of rough spots but nothing that couldn't be handled. There was lots of this though:

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!

After a stop at "the bus" we headed out of the trail system. Damage...let's see: A t-case lever pulled out, an XJ rocker panel pushed in, a busted JKS disconnect, Trevors "Mystery Dent" (it's not really a mystery, he went airborne...twice!) and the obligatory damage shot...I think it's time for me to go flareless:

So let's see...is Godzilla happy?

Oh Yea...that is one happy Jeep right there...

Is our Trail Boss happy?

Well then, it's that time again: FM2CD VA has left the trail! This time we're leaving for 2004. See y'all next year!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: FM2CD Shoe Creek Dec 18th, 2004 Reply with quote

FM2CD Shoe Creek Dec 18th, 2004

majikxms wrote:

Couldn't sleep the night before, but that was normal. We were all excited to get on our way to C-Ville. Allen called me at 0722 to see if we were meeting, I told him to stop by the house at 0745 and we would be on our way. 0750 we were on the road: Myself, Rick and Allen with passengers. One emergency pit stop for Justin and we arrived at Waffle House 0915. The four other Jeeps that were meeting us were no where in sight, not even Godzilla. Smothered, covered, diced and sliced were waiting for no man, so we went in to eat. Godzilla and his driver Vic showed up about 0930, but no others at the 1000 depart. Forty-some odd minutes later we were at the the South side trail head of Shoe Creek and with the quickest air down in FM2CD record we were on the trail by 1100.

Pam (left) and Angie (right) keeping warm while we aired down.

Rick driving through the second creek crossing.

Godzilla playing on the little rocks.

Blue, not to be left out, thought he'd try it too.

After taking the left trail at the camping area, we continued on the main trail up the hill. We got a good ways up the hill when I heard on the radio, "WE'RE SLIPPING!!!" Rick is running his stock tires and was unable to get up the hill on the ice. On a side note: Rick has a 2.5 inch OME lift in the garage and will be stuffing 33's under it, this however does him no good at this point so he continued to slip on the ice. Back to story. We turned around and went back to the camping area. After the hair raising slip and slide, did I mention he almost went off the side, or at least when he tells the story he did, we did what any troop would do...eat lunch. Blue and Godzilla weren't hungry so they went to find the rock garden.

Blue and Godzilla were gone for about an hour and I had lost them on the FRS. Angie and I jumped in the XJ to see if we could pick them up. The first thing I heard when I finally got them was, "Vic, I need a tow rope, I can't move or I'll roll!!!" Oh !@#$, what the heck have they gotten into. According to Allen they got to the top of the hill and it turned into an ATV trail, they decided to turn around. I'll let them tell the story, I think they deserve it. The next time I heard from them the term "trail damage" was being used most frequently and Vic was stuck on the trail with his T-Case drop missing a bolt. He was eventually able to get it back in place and motored back to camp. I think we were all done by this point and it was time to relax and have some more lunch.

Allen's broken light.

And last but not least, what's an FM2CD Trail Ride without me acting stupid. Enjoy, I did!!!

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: FM2CD 02/26 trip to Shoe Creek Reply with quote

FM2CD 02/26 trip to Shoe Creek (the writeup)

thephantum wrote:
This was a good trip. With very few exceptions, we had all changed our rigs in someway over the winter. Vic added some RE front springs, Dale put in a BB, Allen added some new rear springs, Kristy got an XJ and we put a BB on that, plus I lifted mine up to around 3.5" and added a winch...so this was a major shakedown run.

We all met up at McDonalds on RT 29 in Lovingston around 9:30am. We had a good turnout...10 Jeeps. After eating we all headed over to the Food Lion parking lot for a quick meeting about Paragon and the traditional "Jeep Lineup" photo op:

From there we headed out to the trail head where we got all staged up. Dale and I decided to run this one as a two headed trail boss...besdes we were practically dressed the same anyway. rofl

I'm not sure what was up with this...but while we were staging up, this dog started hanging out wth us at the trail head. He ended up following us most of the way up the trail...everytime we turned around he was right there. It was a friendly pooch and the kids as well as adults enjoyed his company.

Anywayz, it had snowed a few days before and then gotten warmer (in the 40's and 50's) so all the snow melting made it muddy and slick. WOOOHOOO! We hit the first obstacle right away...a little hill climb that's usually moderatley fun, but when muddy it turned out to be a challenge for some of the stockers. Here's Jays yellow stock monster...he made it:

Jen made it with no problems too:

We then made our way up to the clearing. There's a couple of ways into it ranging from easy to difficult. Most people took the easy part of the intermediate path.
David

Nathan

Steve-a-reeno

Once we all got in Dale and I proceeded to break in the wire rope on the winch. Since we were gonna be a minute, we put Jen and Vic in charge of the pack and sent them on up the trail. We got lots of pics and they'll be a writeup on basic winching techniques shortly.
The single rigging:

The double rigging:

Now, Jen and Vic were worried that they would be waiting for us at the top of the trail. But after we finished up, Dale and I got in our Jeeps, WHALED up the trail (even the dog had a problem keeping up) and ended up catching up to everyone...they wheel like turtles. rofl

So we made our way up to and just past the AT to the Crabtree Falls parking lot. Since we had 10 Jeeps with us, we didn't want to block up the trail by stopping at the AT like we normally do. Plus there's bathrooms there, so the ladies and kids were happy.

Steven and Nathan decided to go out the North side since that put them closer to home, while the rest of us decided to go out the way we came in. It was going back down that we had some of the most fun. First we hit this little offshoot that runs for a few hunderd yards about 50 feet off the main trail...well within GWNF. We got some pretty good flex shots of everyone:
Kristy:

Jay (Monster flex baby)

David (we'll get him to disconnect next time)

Jen

Allen

At the same spot, Vic decided to play on the rocks that I did in the TJ last year (where I tore the top on a tree). He found the right line through it and it made for some pretty good shots of 'zilla in action.

So now was when the real fun started. There's this climb that none of us attempted in the past...but since I'm out of my skull and so is Vic we both decided to try it. I tested the ground first:

Turns out that all the mud made it so slick that it was not doable without a locker. So I ended up winching myself out.

Being nuts is contagious, so despite the fact he doesn't have a locker either, Vic gave it a whirl too:

It was the same result though...I ended up winching him out.

Like I said at the top...it was a good day. I don't think that anyone even broke anything. We'll finish off with some XJ flex poser pics.
Not bad.

Some flex on the not so stock XJ (formerly the stocker).

WHOA! MONSTER FLEX ON THE STOCKER!!!

roflroflrofl

I think that's about it....oh, I can't forget the "Dale is an idiot" picture. Um...Dale, you've been hanging out with that dog a little too much. laugh

...and since I know turnabout is fair play...here's what Dale would prolly use as revenge.

rofl

We'll see y'all in Kentucky!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Paragon 7/30-31, 2005 Reply with quote

FM2CD at Paragon 7/30-31, 2005

Quote:
So this past weekend was our trip to Paragon. It was an awesome time. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words...this one says a lot about the trip (well, day one at least)...

The stocker took a beating...it was pushed, pulled, strapped, dragged, hi-lifted and winched, but we got it through...and it drove back to VA under it's own power.

For those that don't know the park, we pretty much stuck to low-mid intermediate level trails (Blue 1's and 2's)...although after day 1's adventures with the stocker (we ended up being late coming out of the park), on day 2 we split up into two groups. Jen, David and Mark stuck to the greens (beginner/novice trails) and Trevor, Jay, Allen and myself stayed on the blue trails.

For those that do know the park (and in terms of the blue trails we ran), we took Chicken Run, Cherokee Ridge, Sleepy Hollow, Campground Trail and Bypass Trail...nothing too knarly but still fun stuff.

I don't have a lot of pictures because I was too busy either getting myself through trails or spotting others through. Some of the other club members (Jay, Allen, David and Trevor) took a lot of pictures...so there should be some more coming. All of these were taken at Chicken Run which we hit first thing Saturday morning.

Trevor on the first set of rocks for the day.

Jen coming off the easy line at the end of the trail.

Me taking one of the more challenging lines out:

The plan was to clear that tire over the rock and then turn to my left to get over the ones in front....well...the road to hell is paved with good intentions. When the tire cleared, it slipped off into a rut, the rock rail/slider came down and basically the slider did just that...it slid.

Good times. It actually looks a lot worse than it was...that's a solid tie rod out of a V8 ZJ. Where it looks like the rock bent the rod, is actually the factory shape of the rod. The rod itself is a little deflected in the center, but once I got strapped off it was straight as an arrow again. You can also see the shot the diff skid took though...like I said...good times.

Day two was really only half a day in the park since we still had a 5 hr drive home to VA. Jen and I will be going back in September with the VA Jeep girls...we'll see more of the Park then. Wink

Damage, let's see...We tore up the rear bumper on the stocker, I put a really nice dent in the middle of my pass side fender (damn trees) and Jen bent the front of her fender a little ('nother tree). She also put a nice gouge in the sidewall of one of her tires (deep enough to warrant putting the spare on before the trip home). Jay managed to knock off a flare...oh, how could I forget...David lost his balls. Don't ask...if I have to explain, it won't be funny anymore.

That's about it...so since you all know you want to see it....here it is:

MONSTER FLEX ON THE STOCKER!!!

Mr. Green

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: