Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OME Shocks with JKS BPEs - It is possible!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: OME Shocks with JKS BPEs - It is possible!!! Reply with quote

Why this writeup: So, here's the deal, after searching like nuts over the Internet and other forums, I've seen folks say that OME shocks and JKS BPEs could be used together even though JKS says that they can't. This writeup will serve as a means to make them work in conjunction with each other, as I was unable to find an actual writeup, or how someone approached this combo!

My Issue: I've had this horrible clunking from the front and rear since I installed the lift and finally figured out that it was the bar pins in the shocks causing this issue. It sucks, yeah, I know, it's just noise, but I imagine that it's causing more wear than necessary on the shock bushings as the shock moves back and forth on every bump. So, when I have the top off and doors off, all you hear is clunk clunk clunk down the road!

The Solution: JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, which keep the shock from moving side to side on the pin.

The Problem with OME/JKS: I think they says it's the pin being too large, but if you remember installing your Bar Pins in those shocks in the first place, it was just as much of a PITA as fitting this pin. I found another minor easily avoided issue, which has to do with putting the bolts into the BPEs, I'll point this out later!

Tools Needed: I always forget to take a picture of this part, so off the top of my hea...

- Socket Wrench
- Open ended 13mm wrench
- 13mm socket
- 17mm socket

Installation:

I am showing you how to do the front, I would recommend following the same proceedure for the rear, except the pin is at the top, not the bottom of the shock as the front is.. I'm going to skip over how to remove a shock, if you already have OMEs or are installing them, it's easy, just remove the 17mm nut from the top of the shock and the 13mm nuts from the bottom and squeeze the shock together and pull out!

Here is a pic of the old bar pin, you'll notice, I never installed the washers that would have helped a little bit with my issue, but according to Drack, they are shipping weights Smile

Not that difficult to remove these, you just gotta use the appropriate leverage. I chose to put a little grease on the opposite side of the pin I was going to pull through to help it "slip" out a little easier, then using a screwdriver, make a "T" by putting the screwdriver through the pin hole and pull while twisting. You could do the same thing and push if you'd like! This was fairly easy and took a minute to do..

Here's a pic of the new setup assembled sort of, just missing the shock:

Now, put some grease on the end of the JKS pin that you are going to push through the shock. Use plenty of grease, even though it gets sloppy, it will make a huge difference in getting that darn pin through! Place the pin where it needs to go and just start pushing with your hand until it gets barely in, it will take a few seconds to get it to feel like it's going... Then, use the "T" technique to push the new pin in and give a good bit of pressure while twisting.. It will go, trust me, again, it will take an intense minute to do this!! If it's not "slippery" enough, add some more grease.

You should be feeling good about this now! Once you have the pin in the hole with equal distance on each side, turn the pin so that the bolts will go in sideways, rather than up and down. Here's the issue, the bottom of the OME shock is sooooo big, that you can't fit the bolt in the hole unless you do this. Maybe this is the other issue. Then put on the squares that come with the pin and slide each bolt in each side, and put a piece of tape on the bolt head, you'll see why in a second..

You can now twist the hole pin so that the bolts are up and down, this should be easy as the inside of that shock bushing should be well lubricated from all that grease you put on. I did this by hand easily..

Now, compress the shock all the way and quickly crawl under your Jeep and as the shock decompresses, line it up on the bottom with your taped bolts and the top with the top of the shock bolt.. You've successfully kept the bolts in place now, so finger tighten the nuts onto each bottom bolt, then remove the tape and tighted up the 13mm bolt/nut. Also, put back on the top nut and tighten that puppy up as well. You are good to go, you've just successfully proven JKS wrong!

Review: I like them, they don't clunk!!!!!!!!!! What more could I say??

Disclaimer: You can use these instructions however you choose, but I am not liable for anything you do.. Please feel free to link to them from other sites, but you must get my permission first before copying them off of this site to elsewhere.

Thanks and Enjoy!
Keith
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith,
nice write-up and good knowledge for down the road. my DT3K's are decent...but i'd like a better ride next time around. we installed a set of OME's on a friend's '00 sport - but i used the washers and snap rings. as long as you keep an eye on them they may hold them tight enough in the long run. hey, have you heard if OME makes a longer shock (longer than 4")?
chris
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all.....

good mod good mod good mod dancing banana headbang thanks

Im glad you posted that, its great info to have!

2nd of all........

Where the hell were you and this write-up a week ago?
tool Finger

I just got my OME lift done this AM with the standard barpins that come from OME.....But now I know how easy it is to seal with BPE's when it comes time.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I was wondering about the longer shock myself.. However, for the rear, with BPEs and shock relocators, I bet 5" - 5.5" of lift, you'd be at the max with their LTs.. For the front, you could probably use the BPEs and maybe something at top to give them enough travel.. I haven't heard of anything longer though Sad The BPEs definitely give you .5 - 1" of compression over not using them.

Hey Todd Finger I just did this in the morning today!!!! They come on and off easy though!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup Keith! Good job! thumbs

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this...........yeah Troy, I'm doing a bang up job here rofl rofl rofl . This is great to know, been considering this myself for quite awhile. And the shipping weights were with the trackbar relocator for the rear, the washers for the shocks were a 'damn, just tell him they're extra's' flipoff agree. Since this thread's like a jillion months old now, how are they holding up? Still working out for ya? Do tell Mr. Green .
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
I just saw this...........yeah Troy, I'm doing a bang up job here rofl rofl rofl . This is great to know, been considering this myself for quite awhile. And the shipping weights were with the trackbar relocator for the rear, the washers for the shocks were a 'damn, just tell him they're extra's' flipoff agree. Since this thread's like a jillion months old now, how are they holding up? Still working out for ya? Do tell Mr. Green .

I guess they are Confused No complaints, the shocks are in the right position... I think you could make your own for a few bucks though!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to one of the more reputable vendors (who shall remain nameless) the other day and found out why JKS says it won't work...it seems some tool tried to do this a few years back and couldn't get the pins in. So he complained to JKS and got very noisy. So to avoid any more flak about it in the future, JKS now claims it can't be done.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty lame... I'll have to let them know I'm for hire Wink
PBJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like OME updated their shocks. I just tried to put my BPE's into my new OME N66L shocks and the entire bushing got ripped apart. The bar pins now come stock with the shocks so I guess the bushing is made with it.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBJ wrote:
Well looks like OME updated their shocks. I just tried to put my BPE's into my new OME N66L shocks and the entire bushing got ripped apart. The bar pins now come stock with the shocks so I guess the bushing is made with it.

Throw up a pic if you can.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

I know I am bumping an old thread but FWIW I just installed JKS BPE on front of my XJ with its OME Shocks. Was much easier getting BPE pins into shock than the the original Bar Pins were!

GREAT write up!

Seems to have corrected my clunking issue.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI or FWIW here is my conversation with Jim Noellette of JKS
(I asked his permission to post this here.)

I am an advocate of getting the straight scoop vs. knocking around the same rumors over and over again!

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 7:10 PM
To: Mark H. Easter
Subject: Re: BPE and OME Shocks?

Mark,
I don't see a problem with posting my response but I will always stand behind our footnote that they are not compatible with the OME shocks. Too many returns and too many complaints not to stand behind that statement.
Jim

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Jim Nollette'
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 4:24 PM
Subject: RE: BPE and OME Shocks?

Thank you very much for your information and prompt reply. I have also recently installed them and didn’t have too much problems. I was just curious to the reasons why JKS said they were not compatible. I certainly understand your reasoning.

For the sake of accuracy and clarifying/dispelling “rumors” I would like to have your permission to post your email below to the Forum where I normally hang out and read posts. It is www.jeephorizons.com

I see this as probably increasing your sales with users accurately informed that they CAN be Installed BUT be FOREWARNED of possible difficulty that may be encountered. I believe the type of readers of this board will not increase your kit return rate as they are mostly all hobbyists that have already performed many more complex modifications to their vehicles.

Please let me know if this is ok with you.

THANKS!

Mark

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 10:46 AM
To: Mark H. Easter
Subject: Re: BPE and OME Shocks?

Mark,
OME changed their shock bushing ID from the industry standard size of 5/8" to a non-industry size of 9/16". Obviously we build the BPE's using the standard size of 5/8". You can you get the 5/8" pin in a 9/16" with some grease, vice and/or a hammer but you can also drive a square peg into a round hole with enough force! :-) I have quite a few customers tell me they made our product work with the OME shocks but I also have quite a few customers return them because they didn't have a vice or felt they shouldn't need to use such measures to install them (which I don't blame) therefore I do not and will not claim they work with the OME shocks.
Regards,
Jim Nollette
JKS Manufacturing
308-762-6949
tech@jksmfg.com

----- Original Message -----
To: tech@jksmfg.com
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:28 PM
Subject: BPE and OME Shocks?

I know this is probably an old question for you by now but I figured I would try to go Straight to the Horse’s Mouth instead of, oh you know all the other folks out there . . . .

Can I get you to elaborate on why you state your BPE’s will not work with OME Shocks?
THANKS in Advance!

Mark

Oh yeah, Did I state that I am a great fan of your products!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: