Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axle shift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
striker_3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: axle shift Reply with quote

Great new site, has a lot friendlier atmosphere than some of the other sites I have visited. Now for my question.

I ordered a complete kit, hoping it would fix a left to right lean on my TJ, but received the wrong kit. So I had to have a budget boost overnighted to me so I could get my Jeep up and rolling. The lean was still there, and it took me forever to figure out why. My axle has shifted 1 to 2 inches to the left, making my springs go at an angle and my right front lower by 1 in. I thought it could have been a bent frame or maybe the body was on at an angle, but a body shop told me it was OK. I didn't like the feel of the place, so I'm going to take it to another one. Supposedly it wasn't wrecked, but who really knows since it was used. Could it be a bent control arm? I'm open to suggestions at this point.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: axle shift Reply with quote

striker_3 wrote:
Great new site, has a lot friendlier atmosphere than some of the other sites I have visited. Now for my question.

I ordered a complete kit, hoping it would fix a left to right lean on my TJ, but received the wrong kit. So I had to have a budget boost overnighted to me so I could get my Jeep up and rolling. The lean was still there, and it took me forever to figure out why. My axle has shifted 1 to 2 inches to the left, making my springs go at an angle and my right front lower by 1 in. I thought it could have been a bent frame or maybe the body was on at an angle, but a body shop told me it was OK. I didn't like the feel of the place, so I'm going to take it to another one. Supposedly it wasn't wrecked, but who really knows since it was used. Could it be a bent control arm? I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I may be missing something, but I'm assuming you do already have a lift on there, say, at least 2" and all.. If this is the case and the axle seems to be farther out to one side than the other and that's the issue, then it's most likely your front trackbar to blame and all..

Check to see if the front track bar has been relocated with a bracket, or by a hole drilled, or if there is an aftermarket one there. If none of the above, then that makes sense that your axle shifted, you see, you lift the vehicle and the trackbar goes with it. so, your front axle will shift to one side as the trackbar at the frame side has been raised, however, the trackbar at the axle side hasn't changed at all, forcing the axle to shift..

So, if it's a normal case of an axle shift causing issues, the trackbar, whether relocated, or replaced with an adjustable one, will solve this issue. Good luck and welcome around here!
nikon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: axle shift Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
striker_3 wrote:

I may be missing something, but I'm assuming you do already have a lift on there, say, at least 2" and all.. If this is the case and the axle seems to be farther out to one side than the other and that's the issue, then it's most likely your front trackbar to blame and all..

Check to see if the front track bar has been relocated with a bracket, or by a hole drilled, or if there is an aftermarket one there. If none of the above, then that makes sense that your axle shifted, you see, you lift the vehicle and the trackbar goes with it. so, your front axle will shift to one side as the trackbar at the frame side has been raised, however, the trackbar at the axle side hasn't changed at all, forcing the axle to shift..

So, if it's a normal case of an axle shift causing issues, the trackbar, whether relocated, or replaced with an adjustable one, will solve this issue. Good luck and welcome around here!

wow...that makes perfect sense but I would have never thought about that.
(ever see Analyze This?)
[robert deniro] You're good....You Are Good[/deniro]
Finger
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
striker_3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying about the trackbar, but the lean was there before the spacers were put in. I just had shoulder surgery, but when I'm able I plan on taking the control arms and the trackbar off so I can look at them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: