Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a used YJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Buying a used YJ Reply with quote

One of my coworkers is looking to buy a YJ or TJ to tow behind his motorhome. tool
In any event, he asked me what to look for in a YJ and since I don't know that much about them other than they have the wrong shape headlights ( Finger ) what should I tell him? Any certain years that had quirks that would make them less desirable than others? TIA
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91 and newer 6's had fuel injection. The 95 came with the ax-15 tranny. Don't know much other than that. Mr. Green

Chuck
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's about what I was able to tell him. Mr. Green
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.... what's all this about the headlights being wrong? tool

Anyway, I would look for an I6 from 91-95. The obvious stuff to look for would be rust. Saharas has 19 gal gas tanks (stock) even though a mod can change any YJ tank to 19 gal. 92-95 should have family style roll bar, 91 and older have the CJ- style Slant back.

If he's looking to tow it I would try to get as stock as possible, maybe a small amount of lift. Hardtop too, Nothing worse than geting somewhere and having to suffer a wet ass when your soft top has sprung a leak. Full steel doors are always a plus.

The rest of it would be standard car stuff: A/C, stereo, Manual or Auto, etc...

Personally If I had my pic of the litter it would be a 91 sahara with hard top and full steels with towbar shackles and some 31's (cause of the towing) I get the EFI I6, slant back roll bars and those SWEET headlights.

Tell him not to pay over $5000 unless it still has the factory sticker price on it.. Finger

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to also be on the lookout for the hidden YJ body rot: In line with the cowl, under the stock YJ step. The rot I found under there was unreal when I (oops, Dan) removed the steps.

(And someday I may even fix it Mr. Green )
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, she's right. I removed my steps just as the "rust line" was starting to form. Luckily I caught it and used some of the world famous rust converter on it. I love that stuff. Rust=Primer. Mr. Green

Also check the tub area just over the gas tank. For some reason that area is double pane (2 pcs of sheet metal with about a 1/2" gap.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for. thanks
He showed me a stock 91ish in Hemmings with a 4-banger that somebody is trying to sell for $12,000. Shocked
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked shock rofl laugh That thing better have about a foot of lift, 40" tires, D60's, Arbs, winches front and back, and a suitcase of ca$h in the back seat. shock

Back from the Dead??
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing special about it. It had over 100,000 miles from being towed behind a motorhome. The sad thing is, there's probably somebody out there who will pay that much. shock
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if he can find a 95 they have stronger u joints i think other than that whats been said before 4.0 91 or newer sahara maybe hard top full steel doors etc..

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Absolutely nothing special about it. It had over 100,000 miles from being towed behind a motorhome. The sad thing is, there's probably somebody out there who will pay that much. shock
If you find someone who is willing to pay that, I have a nice trail rig that I'd sell for about $15,000 Finger

Back from the Dead??
St.LJustin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
see if he can find a 95 they have stronger u joints i think other than that whats been said before 4.0 91 or newer sahara maybe hard top full steel doors etc..

Yes, this is true. The front driveshaft on 95 to newer has 297 series u-joints as opposed to the 260 series u-joints used in 94 and older.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How troublesome are the axle disconnects? Are they pretty much univerally a problem?
St.LJustin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vaccuum disconnects usually become a problem in almost all YJ's. Most problematic areas are usually the actuator pump on the axle as well as the tubes themselves. Once all of those are replaced as well as the pump, the system usually works like new for another ten years. The actuator switch on the transfer case can also become a problem as well. The posi-lock kit that changes the switch from be actuated by vaccuum to a more reliable a maintinence free cable. Can usually get those for somewhere around a hundred bucks. Or you can simply have the shift collar that connects the two passenger side axle shafts together welded to in the engaged position. I've heard of people doing that too. Just a few options for ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: