Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front axle options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Front axle options Reply with quote

After seeing Outlaw's D60 (drool) it has me thinking about front axle options. I don't have any immediate plans to go larger than 35's but I've been thinking about my options. I'm not happy with the TJ's steering setup and I've looked at an HP D30 with WJ knuckles to get the tierod up higher and larger brakes. But is it worth the trouble? A D44 doesn't do much for me since everybody wants an arm and a leg for them. So let's discuss, what would be your ideal front axle set-up? Mr. Green
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 37's on my D30 with Warn inner and outer shafts (had the 5 on 4.5 hub conversion and full detroit with 4.56's) and never broke anything on the front axle.
Can you run the WJ knuckles on the TJ 30? Might look into that or check into flipping the tie-rod to the top of the stock mounts. I've seen a kit for this, but can't remember where.

Chuck
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP is only some 10-15% stronger than LP, if it were me, i would take your d30, get some alloy shafts and ctm's for it and call it a day.

the strength increase in a d44 is only marginal and hte cost offset to build a 44 is great. So for your application i would think building your d30 is more than adiquate.

You can also add the knuckles, but that is not really a strength issue, its a clearance one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm thinking the 44 just isn't worth the cost. ORGS is making spacers for the WJ knuckles. You end up with larger brakes (about 2" bigger) and dual pistons calipers plus it moves the tie rod up some.

I've seen the HP D30's go for $150-200 on ebay but I've already got the gearing and locker up front in my existing axle.
Since we're on the subject (though I'm not considering it), I've read that the TJ rear D44's use the same axle tubes as the D35's. Does anybody know if the fronts are much different than the D30's?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:

I've seen the HP D30's go for $150-200 on ebay but I've already got the gearing and locker up front in my existing axle.

See, that's where my justification for the HP30 comes in. I'm looking at using a Super30 kit, so adding a cheap used housing and set of gears is a minimal add-on. Your case wouldn't make it very prudent since you wouldn't be replacing the stuff that the Superior kit comes with like ya said. I dunno, I'm in the same boat. Don't ever plan on going bigger, really, I don't eyebrows . Money is always gonna be a factor, so my ideal setup isn't gonna become a reality so I don't really plan that sorta stuff. Not really anything constructive, but it kinda helps justify if the HP30 can be justified in one case and considered a waste in another. I think most of us agree that a D44 (unless you're talking one helluva bargain/building it yourself/setting your own gears/et al.) isn't really that much better than going with the HP30, so is starting to really get dismissed as "the next step up" in axles.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't have any experience with this, but I read it in a magazine recently (4WD's Off Road Adventures Magazine).

The GM 10 bolt axle is supposed to be hella strong AND about half the price of a D44. I guess maybe call around to a boneyard to look for one. I haven't even tried googling it yet. Like I said, I just read about it. Rolling Eyes

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Since we're on the subject (though I'm not considering it), I've read that the TJ rear D44's use the same axle tubes as the D35's. Does anybody know if the fronts are much different than the D30's?

Yes, the front TJ D44 is a TJ D30 with a D44 center section and the D44 inner shafts. Everything on the housing from the differential out is the same as a D30. Everything internal from the U-joints out is the same as a D30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: