Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ Rear Axle Options

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: XJ Rear Axle Options Reply with quote

So, I found out that the drivers side tube on my 8.25 is bent. It's not bad and it's still driveable...but I need to start thinking about replacing the axle. To me, there is no sense going with another 8.25...I might as well just go D60, 8.8, etc.

The question therefore is, what vehicles should I be looking at to obtain one from? I'm sure that some fab will need to be done to make it fit and gearing is not an issue as it will be regeared and an ARB installed prior to installation...it's more about overall width.

Right now, I'm thinkin' 8.8 out of an Explorer...any other ideas?

Oh yea, it's a 1997 XJ Sport, Auto, I6.

TIA

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A D44 from an older XJ would be real easy to swap in as all the mounts and brackets are already in the right places. Throw better gears and a traction device in there and be done with it. The XJ D44's don't have the weaker tubes like a TJ D44 does.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.8 is an easy swap. I did on into an xj no probs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, an 8.8 should work fine. I've been reading more and more stuff about a GM 10 bolt too, and they don't cost an arm and a leg like D44's do. I'll see if I can dig up some more 10 bolt info.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you go with a 10 bolt front, you can then happily swap in a 14 bolt rear. Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
A D44 from an older XJ would be real easy to swap in as all the mounts and brackets are already in the right places. Throw better gears and a traction device in there and be done with it. The XJ D44's don't have the weaker tubes like a TJ D44 does.

Eric - I was originally thinking D44 too. The thing is that D44's were only put in some XJ's from 87-89. So they are in short supply. That's why I'm thinking 8.8. They are easy to find (I mean, there are tons of Explorers out there) and thus easy to get parts for.

DozerDan wrote:
8.8 is an easy swap. I did on into an xj no probs

Dan - when I'm ready to do this I might have to pick yer brain a little... Mr. Green

qadhafi wrote:
Yeah, an 8.8 should work fine. I've been reading more and more stuff about a GM 10 bolt too, and they don't cost an arm and a leg like D44's do. I'll see if I can dig up some more 10 bolt info.

Derek - A GM 10, 12 or 14 bolt might be an option too....I need to look into that. Thanks.

Code3TJ wrote:
And if you go with a 10 bolt front, you can then happily swap in a 14 bolt rear. Mr. Green

mmmmm...beefy

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to try to find a D44 for now...I need to get something in there and I'd rather not just slap another 8.25 in.

So I figure D44 - gear it, disc it, truss it.

Steve

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
I've decided to try to find a D44 for now...I need to get something in there and I'd rather not just slap another 8.25 in.

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473533649&category=6763

found this

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473533649&category=6763

found this

Thanks Derek, but I found one in MD out of an 87 XJ...so it's the correct width (no need for spacers) and it also has the correct gear ratio. I should be picking it up this weekend...

Steve

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:

Steve

found this

Thanks Derek, but I found one in MD out of an 87 XJ...so it's the correct width (no need for spacers) and it also has the correct gear ratio. I should be picking it up this weekend...

Steve

How much $$? Do tell.

Back from the Dead??
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$350 It's basically ready to be bolted right in. All the brake lines and cables are there, but I'll prolly do bearings, seals and brake shoes beforehand (I can do a disc conversion later). I already spoke to Dan about making a truss for it as well. I spoke to the guy Sunday night and should be picking it up this weekend.

The only question now is the driveshaft length, but from what I'm hearing over on NAXJA, it's a direct swap...

Here's some pics.

Quote:

Last edited by ThePhantum on Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's in nice condition...although I'm sure that fresh coating of paint has skewed it's appearance a bit.

The shoes look alright yet too...but it you've gotta tear it apart for the seals and bearings, might as well just replace the shoes and the hardware. The spring kits are like $5.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Looks like it's in nice condition...although I'm sure that fresh coating of paint has skewed it's appearance a bit.

Yeah, that coat of paint makes it look real good don't it? Most importantly it ain't bent like my 8.25 is.

ehirner wrote:
The shoes look alright yet too...but it you've gotta tear it apart for the seals and bearings, might as well just replace the shoes and the hardware. The spring kits are like $5.

That's exactly what I'm figuring...why do seals and bearings and then put the old shoes back on? I'd really like to do a disc conversion as well, but this whole thing is an unexpected expense...so the finances are not there for it right now. Confused

What I'm heariong about the drive shaft is that the existing one will work along with the same ujoint. From NAXJA:

"An XJ D44 is a direct swap for an XJ 8.25. The only difference maybe the length of the rear drive shaft. Ujoints are exactly the same."

"Just did the same swap 500 miles ago.8.25 out,D44 in,It looked to me that the drive shaft moved out(longer) when attatched to the 44.This was eye-balling the wear area under the grease seal."

Steve

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, I talked to the guy tonight...looks like I won't be getting the axle until next weekend. Oh well, gives me some time to track down some parts for a ZJ disc brake retrofit. I found this writeup on it ==> D44 disc retrofit

...and time for Dan to get back to me on building an o'er the top truss for it. Finger

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the D44 today! thumbs

So now it's time to start perusing the local boneyards for parts to do the disc conversion as well as start shopping around for some alloy shafts...still toying with throwing a locker in as well...but that depends on finances...

Stay tuned campers....writeups on the buildout will be coming! Wink

Steve

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: