Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Changed my plugs, now the ride is jerky.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike culver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Help - Changed my plugs, now the ride is jerky. Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Wrangler Sport. I changed my stock plugs with Bosch Platinium plugs, did a .035 gap and about 30 lbs of torque. I replaced them all at once, put the casing back on and took it for a ride.

Everything seemed fine on the initial ride. Later that night took it on the highway and at about 70mph the jeep started to jerk a little like it was running out of gas(but full tank). It still has this problem.

I'm an idiot....is this some kind of breaking in period of the new plugs? Have I done something wrong? Could it be I am using the wrong plugs?(the guy at Autozone recommended these ones)

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Bosch, now I'm using the Champion, I doubt that would have caused an issue though (using the bosch).. However, do you have any error codes/check engine light or something? Have you tried the drive again and did it get better? Did you install the rail properly and remember to lock the plug that plugs into the rail (you do have the rail right, I can't remember which year got what)? I'll check the manual for anything else it could be.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, did you remember to disconect your battery before swapping plugs? If not, do so now so you can reset the computer by cutting it's power. Maybe the computer just needs to readjust. Then drive around time without nailing the gas and get up to highway speeds to help the computer reset..
mike culver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the rail. I did not disconnect the battery. I'll try that and see what happens. Thank you.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike culver wrote:
I do have the rail. I did not disconnect the battery. I'll try that and see what happens. Thank you.

No problem, that should definitely help! When you disco (neg terminal), turn the key to on (don't try to start) to just ensure every bit of juice is drained, reconnect, start it, let it warm up, then drive around, hopefully you'll be good!

When I install plugs, my engine about chokes when I first start up, then all good for 30k, till I change again!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if your rig is alergic to the Bosch Platinum plugs. I have heard of this more than once. It seems to be a hit or miss issue. I ran the Bosch platinum +4's in my 02 x and also my 03 Rube with out any problem.

Maybe try another brand of plugs.

Lets us know.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran with the Bosch's for 30K, they were fine, I was just curious, so I switched to the chapion copper's this morning since I am at 60K now.. I had no issues though with the bosch's, but heard of folks having them..
mike culver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a no go. Took it out for a ride and still having the sputtering problem.

Before the ride I disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour, turned the key to release any juice left over. Ran it very easy for 15 minutes then took on highway and ran at like 60 for 10 miles. Still sputtering. Hit the gas and it sounded like a backfire coming from under the hood, scared the hell out of me.

Does it sound like a bigger problem here than just the plugs? I replaced them all one at a time. There is no way to screw up the firing order because of the casing system, right?

I'm going to replace he plugs in a few hours with the Champion. In the manual it states I should only use a certain plug as indicated under the hood. Will the Champion Coppers meet this requirement?

Thanks for all your help.
mike culver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did you install the rail properly and remember to lock the plug that plugs into the rail"

I think I did. I put the rail back on, covering all the plugs then screwed the four bolts back into the casing. That is all I need to do, right?

What is the LOCK THE PLUG THAT PLUGS INTO THE RAIL?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the old plugs? I'd try throwing those back in before going out and buying more plugs. If you weren't having the problem before, changed the plugs, and are now having the problem, I'd be led to believe it might be a problem with the plugs. Ok..it's longwinded, but try going back to the old plugs.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely try the old ones.. The lock is just that, a little red slider that locks, I wouldn't be too concerned, if you left it unlocked, chances are that the plug will never fall out, and if it does, your jeep wouldn't start at all with no spark!! It kinda sounds like you didn't remove that plug from your question, if not, then it's not a worry either.. The rail goes on easily, one thing to note though is that it has springs (or something like that) where the rubber boots goe over the spark plugs, when you take the rail off, just verify they are all in there...

I agree with Erik, throw in the old plugs.. You have no errors thrown though? HOpefully it's just hte plugs, and a new set will do you good.. I got the champion coppers, no issues here, you will be fine with those if you switch..
mike culver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. replaced the plugs with Champion Copper.....and my Jeep is back to normal! Razz

Thanks for all the advice.
young yeller

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
I wonder if your rig is alergic to the Bosch Platinum plugs. I have heard of this more than once. It seems to be a hit or miss issue. I ran the Bosch platinum +4's in my 02 x and also my 03 Rube with out any problem.

Lets us know.

A few months ago I installed the Bosch Platinum +4's in my '01 and it ran horribly- like it was misfiring. I was able to return them and got Champions and it now it runs fine. The guy at the store I got the Bosch's at said that he'd had other truck applications come back with the same symptoms and thought that perhaps it is because they are suited more for higher revving applications (ie, 4cyl cars).
Yours work, and that's great- just wanted to share what he'd told me.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young yeller wrote:
WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

Lets us know.

A few months ago I installed the Bosch Platinum +4's in my '01 and it ran horribly- like it was misfiring. I was able to return them and got Champions and it now it runs fine. The guy at the store I got the Bosch's at said that he'd had other truck applications come back with the same symptoms and thought that perhaps it is because they are suited more for higher revving applications (ie, 4cyl cars).
Yours work, and that's great- just wanted to share what he'd told me.

Yup......its a Jeep thing I guess. It dosent make sence why Platinum plugs work in one rig and not another. Cool

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Plugs Reply with quote

I tried the Champion Truck Plugs #4412 and these have really been good to my jeep,still gottem in there after a year and no problems..Just my $.02 worth.. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: