Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My engine is sputtering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: My engine is sputtering Reply with quote

Don't know WTF is going on here but this morning a made a quick trip to Blockbuster to return a couple of movies and my engine started to sputter when I just about got to the Block. Only happened when stopped and does it in N too. Last night I made a 55+ mi trip to see a buddy of mine and no problems. Then I go to Block this morning, about 2.5-3 mi away and it starts. Made it to work and there is a long light in front of the office and I had to throw it in N and keep the engine going at about 1500 rpms so it wouldn't sputter on me. Pull into work and it started doing it again real quick when i stopped and threw it into reverse to back into the spot. Got out and let her run in P for a couple of minutes and nothing - no noises.

Thoughts? First thing that came to mind was the alternator. My second thought is gas. Last night on my way to Franks I stopped a Mobil that I have only been to once before cause I was on E. She took a little over 12 gal so I was pretty well down there. THen I drove to Franks and back without issue. COuld it be the gas? I am going to swing by a gas station while at work (I could def use a couple of dews right now - F'in day shift) and pick up a couple of bottles of drygas an toss those in. My YJ gets a lot of short travel runs so there is a good chance of condesation building up in there and then I threw in a full tank of new stuff (only 87 - I broke) and I almost bought some drygas last night but I didn't for some reason.

Thoughts? Makes me nervous to drive her to far away...... Rolling Eyes Sad
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis the season for drygas. You probably got some moisture causing your problems. With the temps jumpng up and down like they do this time of year, small amounts of condensation can form inside the engine, especially inside the intake. It can also form inside the gas tank and it dosent take very much to make the engine run rough.

If that dosent work then start looking at the plug wires and distributor for potential problems. A cracked cap or wires can give the same symtoms.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks boss. I was thinking it was something to do with the gas too. I put in one thing of the STP gas treatment (at 2.59 a bottle Evil or Very Mad ) but I think that at some point today I am going to get another bottle of it and toss it in too. When it started to sputter on me I turned off the stereo and heat (all that was on) to see if that helped, figuring at that point about the alternator. Now I am more and more thinking about it being something to do with the fuel.
I have never done anything with fuel filters, spark plugs or anything like that so I need to pick up one of those manuals so I can get some instruction on how to do it. I told the dealer when I got it that I wanted him to go over everything and do all the liquids for me. I don't know how competant he is so I have been thinking about it a lot that I would like to get in there and check things out myself. Of course, with all the snow, and now rain, I haven't had a chance to check things out. I really want to get my engine cleaned up and check everything myself just so that I know where I stand with everything.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I have all but ruled out the alt. Anyone feel like telling me how I would go about checking on the fuel filter/spark plugs and other stuffs? I know I know - get a manual and a clue, right? Very Happy

Here's another newbie/rediculously dumb question.......is my 95 YJ carberated or fuel injected? My boss asked me this today and I really didn't know....She didn't come with an instruction manual, or a jack Evil or Very Mad for that matter, when I bought her so I know very very little.

Thanks for the patience with me as always Very Happy
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the sputtering stop compleatly after the engine is warmed up?

If no, then its probably the fuel.

Another thing to look at to see if its a cap/rotor or wire problem. After dark, in a dark spot in the driveway away from street or house lights, pop the hood with the engine idling and see if you see sparks jumping from the wires or cap. The darker it is the easier it is to spot a potential problem. Depending on the wires sometimes you can actually see the energized spark travelling through the wires. You want to see if any sparks are jumping from one wire to another or to some close steel part of the engine. Sometimes you may see sparks at the cap also. Anything like that and its time to replace those parts. Spark plug wire should never touch each other either. The spark energy can jump from one wire to another and cause rough engine. This happens often with cheap parts store wire sets. Ive seen people wire tie all the plug wires togther thinking they were doing themselves a favor and keeping the wires tidy, but in fact created problems for themselves.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. some interesting stuff there. I put in 2 bottles of the gas streatment today and i came back from the office, did a little wheelin in the mud ont he way home, and she seemed to be runnin fine now. I didn't go far but got a chance to get the engine warm and she seemed ok for now. I hope that the treatment stuff did it but I am going to keep a close eye on it for a little while. Goin out tonight and am gonna take it so we will see what happens
FM2CDJC Member #10

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: