Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smittybilt Tube Steps are JUNK!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Smittybilt Tube Steps are JUNK! Reply with quote

I've had these for less than 2 years and I've got rust UNDER the paint already, not a little but a TON of it, which is why I opted to get some PoisonSpyder stuff http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=14439#14439

I just wanted to let ya'll know, just in case someone was contemplating getting these. Unfortunately I didn't know much when it came to Jeeps or respectible parts for them when I got these...heck, I still don't know much. But, I do KNOW that these SmittyBilt tubes are TERRIBLE!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops...mods feel free to move this to the "Reviews" section...just saw we had a Project AND Review section in the same page...

Thanks

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Smittybuilt bought the Steel Horse product line when Steel Hore filed for bankruptcy though I'm not 100% positive. If it's true though, their quality went further down the toilet with that move. bling
FloridaJeep11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Smittybilt Reply with quote

I agree....when i first bought my Wrangler back in 1998...I also did not know much about accessories....so I went ahead and purchased some of them.
about two years later same thing happened....and i'm still driving whithout side steps.
I guess "you get what you pay for"
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZJ had a set of those Shittybuilt tube steps when I bought it. The very first time I took it off road, I came down on the driver side a bit hard and snapped the tube clear through, right before the front mounting bracket. Luckily, it wasn't hanging down too much and I was able to make it home. Once I got home and inspected the damage, I was amazed at the amount of rust inside those tubes. There's big holes under the step pads that allow mud, sand, water, etc. to get into the tubes and stay there. I would never use that brand again or any other that uses the Shittybuilt step design. Needless to say those tubes were removed completely at that point. I'm currently cutting out my rockers and installing some boxed rockers I fabbed up. Thin walled tube steps are just for looks, and even that doesn't last long, once the rust starts!
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all smittybuilt products crap or just their tubesteps? I was in my local 4x4 shop the other day and was checking out their winches- the price was cheap, like around $300 and I don't have that much cash to spend on a winch right now so I was interested in them. Are their winches made in China or are they made in North America with such crappy quality that that's the reason why they are so cheap?
-nixt

P.S. China & everything from there SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!
Commie bastards can't even get communism right!
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't call 'em "Sh!ttybuilt" for nothing... Mr. Green

Although WARN is one of the priciest winch manufacturers out there, the product name as one of the toughest winches on the market is well deserved. Milemarkers aren't too shabby either from what I've heard, but WARNs usualy eat everything else performance-wise. My recommendation is to save up your pennies for a good WARN winch and strong aftermarket bumper to put it on and you won't go wrong.

And take it from me, tube steps aren't the way to go either. They support zero load under pressure and crush easily on rocks and stuff. Either fab up or save some extra money for some good rock rails and get that tubing junk off your rig.

Hope this helps. Mr. Green

HAWK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
It seems like Smittybuilt bought the Steel Horse product line when Steel Hore filed for bankruptcy though I'm not 100% positive. If it's true though, their quality went further down the toilet with that move. bling

then they got bought out by 4 wheel parts, maybe i should make a new thread about it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: