Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I went and done it...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: I went and done it... Reply with quote

Ordered some new goodies for the TJ
All from Poison Spyder
1. Rock Crushers w/step
2. D-30/D-35 Diff Gaurds
3. Steering Box Gaurd

The only thing that kinda sucks about it is that I have to get the crushers powder coated locally, they won't ship them coated. I found one place close to where I live that does it, but has a MINIMUM fee of $125.00 Does this seem high to anyone else? Whats the nominal fee for powder coating parts?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new parts.

You might check on getting the corners painted the same color as the Jeep. I've seen one done like that and they looked pretty sharp.

Chuck
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a little high. But, does that also include sandblasting and cleaning?

Powdercoat works great if the surface is preped properly before coating. Without the extra steps the powdercoat will eventually flake off. Once it starts to flake, water gets under it and rust will form and realy make a mess.

If that includes preping, then its worth it. If that just covers coating, keep looking.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah that includes full material prep...so its no so bad then eh?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the time the powder coating places have a minimum charge to cover their setup costs to do the job. With this in mind, if you have any other pieces to get powder coated there is a good chance they will do it for the same price.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Yah, they even suggested that I bring in EVERYTHING that I would need powder coated...unfortunately, I don't have anything and can't think of anything else...I'm certainly not going to pull my motor apart in my car again to get the items I spray painted, powdercoated.

Does anyone in my area (Ft Meade, MD) need anything powder coated, maybe we could split some of the costs here....LOL (It's worth a try!)

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
macb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you just herculine it? you could get a quart for like $35.
roll on the first coat, use a brush for the second coat and it will have a nice texture to it...I have seen this done on several projects by a local shop.

KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macb wrote:
why don't you just herculine it? you could get a quart for like $35.
roll on the first coat, use a brush for the second coat and it will have a nice texture to it...I have seen this done on several projects by a local shop.

NOW THERE is a good idea!!! I'm just not sure how a flat black textured rock gaurd would look against a smooth painted surface...defiantely something I'll have to think about though!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used POR15 Metal Ready, then primed and Rustoleum rattle can black. I considered the other options, but decided that route would be the easiest way to touch up. The only problem I found was the Poison Spyder stuck the shipping label directly on the metal and had a bear of a time getting them off. Confused
LAWrangX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with these guys. I'd rattle can it, Rustoleum hammered is a good finish, and you can always repaint cheap when it gets scratched up. Powder coating is a good finish, but if you are paying extra for it, I'm just not sure that it would be a worth while investment. Things like diff guards and rockers are sure to get scratched up.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, thats EXACTLY what the guy at Poison Spyder said to do...rattle can it!

I know my Jeep won't be seeing much trail action until I can get another vehicle (full size pick-up and I have a TON of debt to pay off before that will happen), its my daily driver and I'm currently making a 100 mile round trip commute EVERY DAY!

Which is why I was thinking about powder coating that would resist stone chips much better than your average rattle can paint...since I've started this new job, the front of my Jeep is a MESS from stone chips (I used to have a 15mile round trip commute). So I was looking for something thats durable and will be as maintenance free as possible.

You guys still think that spray paint is the way to go?

I do like the idea that if I want I can simply have the powder coating place remove the paint and coat them...

The POR-15 metal prep, did you find that at your local parts store?

Thanks for all the ideas and help brohs!!!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the prep stuff as part of a starter set I got a while back. It's worked pretty well and like I said the hardest part I had was the stupid shipping label. I tried rubbing alcohol, wd40, goo remover and finally busted out the torch and burned it off. Neutral
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
I had the prep stuff as part of a starter set I got a while back. It's worked pretty well and like I said the hardest part I had was the stupid shipping label. I tried rubbing alcohol, wd40, goo remover and finally busted out the torch and burned it off. Neutral

Where did you get the starter kit?

Thanks for the heads up on the label, I don't have a torch and I'll be pissed if I have to buy one just to remove a stupid label!!! Especially seeing how much these bad boys cost. When you first talked about it, I was thinking "no problem, I'll just use some goo gone"...guess it might take a bit more than that.

I'm still up in the air about how to coat these things, hopefully I'll get them soon...and I'll be able to decide once I see them. For now, I'm definately leaning towards either the spray can or rhino lining them, due to cost. Has anyone rhino lined any parts? Send me a pic if you have?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got it from Quadratec. I'd had the bottle sitting for a while and finally decided to use it. Hopefully, you won't have the issues with the labels that I did. They sat outside in the August sun all day before I got them which probably baked them on. Confused
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks broh! I'm liking the idea of just using the POR-15 http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=319 and being done with it!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: