Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer light hookups?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Trailer light hookups? Reply with quote

Sooo, anyone who uses a trailer and hooks up their brake lights, any recommendations? I need to get a wire harness and hook it up. I saw 4 wires on one, do they all attach from the inside of one of the brake lights? Any wiring help is appreciated.

TIA
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer light hookups? Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
Sooo, anyone who uses a trailer and hooks up their brake lights, any recommendations? I need to get a wire harness and hook it up. I saw 4 wires on one, do they all attach from the inside of one of the brake lights? Any wiring help is appreciated.

TIA

It's been awhile since I did mine (XJ)...the harness does hook up into the wiring in one of the taillights. The four wires allow brakes turnsignals and hazards to be displayed on the trailer.

As far as which harness to get, I got mine with the hitch. Between the instructions that came with it and my FSM, I figured out which wires I had to tap into.

BTW - If you suck at wiring and want some help lemme know (your in MD right?). I'm always willing to help a brotha out....have tools will travel. thumbs

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to local Jeep dealer.
Order trailer wiring harness.
Pay $38 plus tax.
Install harness by plugging it in to the passenger side taillight harness.
Drink beverage.
blupupher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go to walmart and buy the same harness for 1/2 the price, and have more money for beer. Very Happy
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blupupher wrote:
Or go to walmart and buy the same harness for 1/2 the price, and have more money for beer. Very Happy

I tried the cheaper harness. First, it didn't work right. In addition, no where near as quality of a product. The entire Mopar harness is bundled nicely and the ends finished. It looks and performs factory b/c it's from the factory. Not to mention they provide a separate ground you'll install for the harness, about 5 zip ties, a bracket for the plug (that I didn't use, but it was still included), and all the associated little stuff. Oh yeah, very nicely drawn out directions....not that we use those though.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, it's for a little venture I'm going into, so it'll be a write off Wink I'll go with the Mopar one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: