Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coolant overflow tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: coolant overflow tank Reply with quote

Please bear with me if I ramble. Mr. Green
Last fall, I bounced the jeep around pretty good on the trail and was trying to fix one of my flares. While I was screwing with it, I found coolant splashed on the axle. Fearing that I had a leak, I started looking around until I figured out that it was splashing out of the overflow tank. Not wanting to cause a major fish kill by merrily spraying coolant everywhere, it got me to thinking. I know that as the engine cools, a vaccum is formed which draws fluid from the overflow back into the radiator. If I were to somehow seal the overflow, would that cause a problem (i.e. create too much pressure inside the plastic bottle)? And if I were to win the lottery, does anybody see any issues with the sealed (and nicely polished) recovery tanks used in racing?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sealed ones are the ones used for drag racing. When only running 1/4 mile at a time they dont worry about blowing hoses or radiators......they run sealed to keep the fluid from getting on the track.

Oval racers run vented tanks. Venting is important for the vacuum forces needed to push/pull the coolant back and forth from the radiator. Sealing the coolant system will potentially cause.....if overheated....blown hoses or ruptured radiator.

I guess this is one of those "if it aint broke, dont screw with it" things. If the resivour is cracked and leaking, then one of the trick aluminum tanks made by Morosso would be a very trick way to go.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, that's what I was wondering - if the pressure would screw things up. Guess it's back to the drawing board. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: