Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extending CA's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Extending CA's? Reply with quote

What are people's take on extending ZJ control arms (similar to other jeeps)? Using some box tubing, cutting the arm at an angle and welding in a piece of rectangular tubing from bushing to bushing?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesonally I wouldn't trust it. That's just me. I know that you can get some pretty strong welds going, but the fact that there's always two weld spots per CA would make me a bit leery, especially since the stress from wheeling would be added to these welds already. The ZJ's and TJ's share the same aftermarket arms I believe, I'd just shop around for a set of used adjustables off a TJ that just went longarm. There always seems to be some of them floating around. Only problem with that is the owner might not have maintenced them regularly and the bushing might be shot. Not that this has anything to do with what you posted, but I also feel the ZJ to a TJ coil swap is a bad idea. Anything that cuts corners and might be a saftey issue. I certainly don't have much mod money, but definately don't wanna cut corners on certain things.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own control arms and they are holding up fine..
If I where to want to make my own right now... I would cut them like you are talking about and then put something strong inside Like some good thick square tubing. That way you could weld it into the inside.. That way you could get a weld the entire length and it would span the cut section..

Just a thought..

And while you where at it.. Get yourself some 1.25" threaded rod and some nuts and weld that in so they your new arms are adjustable..

I never did a writeup on my control arms because my camera was broken at the time.. But I do have some pics of them now..

Mine where alot easier because I started with Rubicon Express arms and made them adjustable but it would be the same with the stock arms..

I have no dought that it could be done and would be strong enough and would work well..

PM me if you want me to explain how to make the adjustable arms..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: