Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kennesaw Mountain Multi- Carrier & Bent Crossmember

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Kennesaw Mountain Multi- Carrier & Bent Crossmember Reply with quote

I just recently acquired a Kennesaw Mountain Accessories Multi- Carrier for my YJ. (pics at http://www.kenmtn.com/html/multi-carrier.html )The carrier had bent the crossmember of the jeep that it was attached to (not mine) and that is one of the reasons why the guy wanted to get rid of it. It attaches through the 8 holes that originally held on the bumperettes. No other mounts are provided.

My question is does any one have anyone else have this (or a similar) one piece bumper/carrier? Or know someone that does? Have you had any problems with the weight of the bumper/tire carrier actually BENDING the crossmember?

Does anyone have any ideas about strengthening the crossmember? I'm thinking maybe getting some steel plates cut to go over the crossmember (essentially acting as a big one piece washer).

Any help or replies will be appreciated. Dan this means you. Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little trouble seeing the set-up in the pic but I'd think that putting a plate over the crossmember would help. Also, I don't know if it would work with that particular bumper, but you could fab up something like this.

ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
I had a little trouble seeing the set-up in the pic but I'd think that putting a plate over the crossmember would help. Also, I don't know if it would work with that particular bumper, but you could fab up something like this.

I'm with Troy. Something like what's pictured above should work fine. If the carrier uses the stock holes in the rear crossmember, then any YJ frame tie-in kit that uses the stock holes should work fine. Check with Jeeperman/Raingler if they have a YJ frame tie-in kit.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

I'm with Troy. Something like what's pictured above should work fine. If the carrier uses the stock holes in the rear crossmember, then any YJ frame tie-in kit that uses the stock holes should work fine. Check with Jeeperman/Raingler if they have a YJ frame tie-in kit.

Thanks yall. I PM'd 007 and hopefully he'll get back with me sometime this week.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YJ version is available and yes w/o the frame to strengthen the Xmember may bend just due to the weight of a carrier and the stuff bolted to it. Seen it done and not fun to fix. Very Happy
http://www.raingler.com/shop/productDetails.asp?productID=152

DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007 wrote:
YJ version is available and yes w/o the frame to strengthen the Xmember may bend just due to the weight of a carrier and the stuff bolted to it. Seen it done and not fun to fix. Very Happy

Not to mention what happens when you pull the bolts through the crossmember d'oh
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007 wrote:

Sweet, I'll definately grab a set of those of of you.

Now that I really think about it, it seems like the holes in the bumper were... well, threaded. What I am trying to say is that in theory I could run the bolts through the Crossmember and that they actually thread into the mounting holes in the bumper. I think that this is a bad situation casue I can't really get the nuts to the proper torque on the bolt.

Any thoughts?

Back from the Dead??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: