Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fram Sure Drain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Fram Sure Drain Reply with quote

I've had one of these on my jeep for about a year- thought it would be a great thing. It worked fine the first time I used it. Today, it didn't work so fine. As soon as the oil started to flow, the hose came off and fell to the bottom of the bottle I was draining in. And then I got hot oil everywhere. Rolling Eyes
So if you've had one or plan to get one, be sure to tighten the hose before every use and then don your protective suit. angry
http://jeepin.com/news/suredrain.html
mikeleblanc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to use a small hose clamp (the pinch kind) around yours? A friend of mine did that and seems to work ok... but I can't remember exactly how they're designed, so I'm just going by what he said... cause your problem was one of the first things I thought about... especially with my luck.
Michael A. LeBlanc
97 TJ Sport (It's BLUE damnit!)
too much to list, so just be happy I'm alive...
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thats what you get for buying a yuppy thing like that.

Just like mom used to say, if you cant find time to do it right the frist time, better make time to do it again

Seriously is it realy that hard to get the oil drain pan and just let it drain normal.... Finger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was part of my preparations for my engine skid - didn't want oil dumping on the top of the skid. Instead, I thought I'd buy this yuppie POS and dump oil everywhere. Finger
Yeah, I think I could probably clamp it but after this weekend's drama, I'll probably just pitch the thing in the trash.
mikeleblanc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all the folks I've talked to that used the FRAM, they have since switched to the FUMOTO drain and have no issues so far. The one in the pic is their standard, but if you order whatever part you need for your engine with "N" in the part number, you get a nipple on it that will certainly accept a hose and a clamp. My friend that used the FRAM has since switched to this one to try it and likes it. He used a small crimp fitting on the end of the hose with a screw-on cap and just tucks it up into his engine skid and doesn't worry about it. The hose is clamped on, but he says that it's overkill and he could just stick it on every time, but he's kinda lazy...

http://www.fumotovalve.com
Michael A. LeBlanc
97 TJ Sport (It's BLUE damnit!)
too much to list, so just be happy I'm alive...
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Fumoto. Mr. Green
I have one on my truck and it works great. I don't know if I'd use one on a 4.0L because it would hang down a bit but it'd be fine on a 2.5 where the drain is up on the side of the pan. And if you tell them you're a member of http://thedieselstop.com (a Ford diesel forum) you get a discount. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: