Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smog tests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Smog tests Reply with quote

I just thought I'd share with the California crew my experience with the new "enhanced" smog testing. I went today and paid $89 for the test and certificate. They basically put it on a dynanometer and run the test after doing the visual inspection. The acceptable levels are lower than they used to be and I initially failed due to a bad gas cap that they hook up to some sort of sensor. Rolling Eyes
I had to pay them $15 for a new gas cap because if they took the Jeep off the machine, they'd have to noftify DMV that it failed. Thieves.
All the levels were high and he said I'll probably have trouble passing in 2 years, but I suspect my cracked exhaust manifold was the cause. And the whole time he was stealing my money, I mean filling out the paperwork, he bitched about how rough the tires were on his $60,000 machine.
tool
St.LJustin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emissions testing in Missouri is an absolute joke as well. They run the crap out of your car on the dyno and if they break anything on the car they are not liable. How could they not be liable, they broke it. When my mom took her Mustang Cobra to the emissions testing, they had to test it three different times because the operator of the test was gunning the engine to much and failing to keep the RPMs in the corect range. My mom said the entire time the guy was driving the car on the dyno he was yelling to his buddy working right beside him telling him how much power the car had. tool tool tool

Oh yeah, good to see you passed the emissions with the cracked manifold. I remeber you asking about trying JB Weld on it temporarily. Did you try it?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was wondering who would pay if they broke something because the idiot jumped on it as soon as the jeep was hooked up. I ended up not going the JB Weld route. I didn't feel like the hassle and decided to chance it. Banks is allegedly coming out with 2.5L headers in July, so I'm hoping to make it that long. I don't want to replace the crap manifold with another crap manifold and my only other choice is Pacesetter. Um, no thanks.
jtgalt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too live in California.

I had to get my Jeep smogged this year, and boy was that fun...

Now, my Jeep is a '91 Wrangler Sport. When I was replacing the spark plugs (3 years ago or so) I accidentally cracked one of the smog hoses. Feeling frisky, I removed the hose entirely and put a breather cap on the open hole.

When I went in to get it smogged I figured that they'd ding me and fail. Boy was I wrong. The test-only station I went to popped the Jeep onto the dyno, let it run at 40mph (or whatever they use as a speed) and tested away.

Appearantly Ihad to go to a test-only station because my jeep is listed as a "high profile polluter" category. Even w/o the smog system in place I had lower than average emissions in all categories but 1. It was amazing.

I'm sooooo looking forward to the Cali DMV changing the no-need-to-smog year to 1991. I'd really love to put a Viper V-10 into the jeep and really see what it can do.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smog-wise, you should be fine now as long as the engine is newer than the model year it's going into. Mr. Green
jtgalt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but when the guy @ the smog station pops the hood and sees 10 gleaming cylinders staring at him, a moved firewall to accomodate the sucker, and all sorts of other goodies, he might just think 2x about running the basic test.

As it is, I'm thinking about just rebuilding the engine, but I don't know where to take it.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what CA requires for engine swaps:
Quote:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

To entertain our non-CA members, here are the smog nazi rules we have to follow. Confused
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Here's what CA requires for engine swaps:
Quote:
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

To entertain our non-CA members, here are the smog nazi rules we have to follow. Confused

crybaby That totally sucks, and you have to pay for that crap too. I'd move.

Come to think of it I'd rather take a bullet than live in The People's Reublik of Caleefornia. It'll be another 5 years until Smog tests reach into the sticks that I live in. I'm almost 25 and have never had to have a vehicle smog or emissions tested and have never, ever had any type of inspection done on any vehicle I have owned. Ain't Georgia great? Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jduck1

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Code3TJ Reply with quote

Code3TJ,

Thanks for replying to my post on engine swapping for my 1980 CJ7.

Anyone know how many years CA goes back until a vehicle is smog exempt?

1) Here is my plan. Tell me if you think it will work. Remove the 151 4cyl out of the 1980 CJ7 I have now.
2) Replace it with a I6 258.
I have 2 motors. I is a 1981 258 (bad head) but has all the accessories including a BBD carb without all the computer/smog stuff.
The other motor is good (Passed smog before removal) but is out of a 1984 or 1985 and has lots of extra emission stuff on it including the newer BBD carb.

3) Since the old engine was a 151 I am going to locate a engine wire harness out of a CJ that had a 258 in it. Hoping this will make the swap easier.

4) Get it all together and hope it passes smog. If it does I don't have to worry about smog again as I only need to smog for transfer/registration in my county (Amador, CA). Once that is all done I will drop a after market carb and be done with it.

Anyone think it should work. Yes or NO and why?

Thanks,
Jeff
jduck1
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, it has to be 30 years old to be smog exempt. If it runs now, I think I'd smog it now, then do the engine swap. I know you're supposed to take it to a referee after a swap, but if you don't have to smog it now, I don't know what the requirements would be with the swap.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentucky's VET testing was a joke,then didn't ever try to break anythign or charge you extra they just ran thru as many as possible, only 1% of cars failed, it did a whole lot of good, my jeep did fine with the manifold cracked in half

now its gone and im contemplateing loseing the cat

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: