Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Model Designations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Jeep Model Designations Reply with quote

I'm working on a page of jeep model designations. I want to keep it rather basic, but please feel free to add to this thread any corrections (production dates or otherwise) or stuff that I've missed. TIA

Last edited by Code3TJ on Sun May 02, 2004 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forgot the YJ long sold in south america, and i believe theres some little tiny prototype caled a jeep II in there somewhere. might want to add in that the DJ-5 (door jeep) is your standard mail jeep. And then theres the 4wd longer alaskan postal jeep with a metal hard top and square cornerd full steel doors, just a cj 8 but the hard top and doors are cool http://www.postaljeep.com/dan_m.html

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the YJ-long and the Alaskan CJ-8. I have a generic DJ in there - if you can get me production dates on the 9 models, I'll split them up.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Added the YJ-long and the Alaskan CJ-8. I have a generic DJ in there - if you can get me production dates on the 9 models, I'll split them up.

here you go
http://www.postaljeep.com/modelinfo.html

heres another good site
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.film.queensu.ca%2FCJ3B%2FPoster.html

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
nikon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know...just a thought....but being new to jeepin it would be nice if we could get some pics of he different models. i don't know if that is going beyond your simplistic thoughts but......just an idea Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well an extension to Nikons idea would be the ability to drill down for more info (including pictures). I'm thinking something along these lines:

XJ: The Jeep Cherokee built from 1984 to 2001.
YJ: The Jeep Wrangler built from 1987 to 1996.
TJ: The 1997-current Wrangler including the Rubicon and Unlimited models.

A lot more info would need to be gathered on some of the models, but I think it would be really cool for JH to have this kind of info collected into one place for easy reference.

My $0.02.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Model Designations Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
I want to keep it rather basic,

Now I think that we are getting a bit beyond this idea with that amount of info but it woul dbe nice...... Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

Now I think that we are getting a bit beyond this idea with that amount of info but it woul dbe nice...... Mr. Green

Yeah, I know...I'm thinking more of an eventual goal. I mean, it would take time to complie that kind of information anyway...but I know I have never seen a Jeep site that has comprehensive lists of detailed info for each model. I just think it would be a real asset to JH, and I'd be willing to help with the legwork/research to make it happen.

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
nikon wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

Yeah, I know...I'm thinking more of an eventual goal. I mean, it would take time to complie that kind of information anyway...but I know I have never seen a Jeep site that has comprehensive lists of detailed info for each model. I just think it would be a real asset to JH, and I'd be willing to help with the legwork/research to make it happen.

Steve

I agree with you there. Somehow encrypt it so that it can't be copied and pasted or something so you have to come to JH to see it too Mr. Green
That way we get more hits and more people lookin at the whole site. I know that if I get to a site by searchin for some specific info - I usually hang around for a bit to see what else they got
FM2CDJC Member #10

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought about doing that - it'd be easy enough to just post a link from each model designation and I can easily put a JH stamp on the photo like the Treo pics so even if it ends up getting hotlinked, it'll hopefully give people the urge to stop by. Never models are not hard to get photos of, but my concern would be getting pics of the older models without ripping them off from somewhere. Any ideas?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
I'd thought about doing that - it'd be easy enough to just post a link from each model designation and I can easily put a JH stamp on the photo like the Treo pics so even if it ends up getting hotlinked, it'll hopefully give people the urge to stop by. Never models are not hard to get photos of, but my concern would be getting pics of the older models without ripping them off from somewhere. Any ideas?

Well one way would be to find people that own them and ask permission to use a picture. We should be able to find at least a few that way....

Quote:
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but.... I'm thinking some of the models might be a tad hard to find. But, some of the older models we might be able to find pics of in libraries or other archives.
nikon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Yeah, but.... I'm thinking some of the models might be a tad hard to find. But, some of the older models we might be able to find pics of in libraries or other archives.

no doubt. I am sure that a simple email to the owner of the pic would solve the permissions thing. I would just let them know that you will give them credit for the photo and, being a jeep owner, I bet 9 out of 10 wouldn't mind at all. The others could certainly be scanned from an archive somewhere...

this could turn out to be pretty cool
FM2CDJC Member #10

blupupher

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Unlimited was called a "TJ?" with a letter designating the longer model?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blupupher wrote:
I thought the Unlimited was called a "TJ?" with a letter designating the longer model?

I've heard both TJ-L and TJ-D. Anybody confirm?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: