Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Air intake on my YJ.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Cold Air intake on my YJ. Reply with quote

So I just got this open air intake and I'm about to slap it on the YJ. My only question is, won't this thing be pulling hot air from the engine compartment and force it into the intake? Wouldn't that be bad for the engine?

Anybody else got one similar?

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted something similar to this a while back discussing the differnet options for those wanting the cleanest and coolest air....best options for that are a snorkel or the cowel idea...as the conclusion was.

I really don't know that it will affect it that much, in terms of it being hotter than the airbox air but I think that others here are FAR more knowledgeable than me (in all areas I'm sure)..... It will def suck in more air for ya though Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about that particular filter or how dusty things get, but I dumped my K&N's when I discovered how much dust was making it through and into the intake. Of course, with that muscular 2.5 nestled beneath my hood, there's not much I could do to make it anymore powerful. Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's exactly why I stayed away from the K&N filters (both the aftermarket cone and the OEM models)...they get you more airflow by letting more dust through...

I agree with you Qad...that thing is gonna suck hot air. The ones I've seen actually reach farther over to the pass side of the engine bay and are able to pull cooler air. What I would do is get som PVC and extend it so it does reach that far over.
...actually...what I would have done was saved my money and just bought a snorkel...but that's me. Finger

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in that case, couldn't he just shorten the pipe on there now and face it the other direction? more towards where the stock airbox is?
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:
in that case, couldn't he just shorten the pipe on there now and face it the other direction? more towards where the stock airbox is?

Maybe, I'm not sure where the stock airbox is on YJ's. On XJ's it's on the drivers side...but on TJ's it's on the pass side...

For that matter, why not just modify the stock airbox to let more air in...it's much cheaper and pretty effective.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
nikon wrote:

Maybe, I'm not sure where the stock airbox is on YJ's. On XJ's it's on the drivers side...but on TJ's it's on the pass side...

For that matter, why not just modify the stock airbox to let more air in...it's much cheaper and pretty effective.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a 2.5l (bad ass I know) YJ and the airbox is on the drivers side. I removed the air restrictor in the tube but it is def possible to throw a cone right onto the stock tube if you wanted to. I thought about it but the idea of just an exposed cone doesn't excite me. As mentioned - too much dust can get in there. I dont want to be cleanin that thing out after every trail ride when it's dry and dusty out. I was thinking about just drilling some extra holes or making the existing hole in the airbox bigger. I haven't looked into possibly exchanging the existing tube that goes to the engine bigger but thats possible to..... Weathers been too shitty round here to open up the hood and if it isn't raining/snowing I have been out on my motorcycle....
FM2CDJC Member #10

WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dumped my open breather intake too after finding fine dust inside the air tube......and we dont have the dusty conditions found in the dryer states. Its back to the stock box and paper elements for me.

And yes, that type will pull heated air being so close to the engine versus the spot where the stock horn draws air. Wanna do a Mr. Wizard experiment. After driving your rig, park it a shady spot and get out and run your hand across the hood directly over the engine. Then run it closer to the front where the airbox is. It will be cooler up by the airbox where some cool air comes in around the headlights. Above the engine will be much hotter.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: