Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980 CJ7 Engine Swap (151 to I6 258) What do I need????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jduck1

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: 1980 CJ7 Engine Swap (151 to I6 258) What do I need???? Reply with quote

I am wanting to switch motors on my 1980 CJ7. Currently it has a 151 4cyl., SR-4 Tranny, Dana 300.

I bought 2 used motors from a friend. One is a 1981 I6 -258 and the other is a 1984+ I6 -258.

What will I need to complete this engine swap?
Can it be done?
How hard or easy?
Thinking for putting a better transmission in. Will a T18 work?

Any information would be very helpfull as I am very new to Jeeps.

Thanks,
Jeff
jduck1
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That beats the heck out of me, but a good place to start is Advance Adapters. They generally have the engine mount or tranny adapters to do alot of different retrofits.

Good luck

ps...Im sure someone else will have some ideas for you.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don;t really know anything, but since they are both carbed engines, and you definately don't want to lose the 300, im sure if you figure out the tranny, get the 258 running (get an aftermarket carbureator) and then you'd need to get the motor mounts figured out and it shouldn't be too big of a mess depending on how completel your 258 is. HTH

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using those year engines should keep you out of trouble with the smog police - just be cautious what kind of carb you put in it. If you go with the T-18, look for a T-18A (1977-79) that came with a granny low. It should mate up with the I-6 but they used different adapters for the various years and models. However, you'll need to check to see if the T-18 and D300 can mate (not sure off the top of my head.)
jduck1

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the help so far. Keep the info comming.

I want to try and use the stock stuff as much as posible that I already have until I get it smoged. Where I live I only need it smoged to do the title transfer (No smog checks every couple years like in some CA counties). My plan is to get it to pass and then put a aftermarket carb kit on it.

Does anyone know if I will need a different Bellhousing to go from the 151 to the 258? The T-18 would be a nice up grade but not manditory at this point. I just want to get the thing running with the 258 and up grade as needed.

Thanks,
Jeff
jduck1
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: