Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Laws in Effect Not Good for NH Wheeling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: New Laws in Effect Not Good for NH Wheeling Reply with quote

Shocked The long and short of it Evil or Very Mad

Gov. Benson just signed into law that states that on a town by town basis, the Selectmen or town authorities that make decisions as far as roads are concerned can now cause an "emergency" vote that closes class VI roads off from any kind of motorized use.

In NH a class VI road is a non-maintained road. Sort of a travel at your own risk. Basically the towns keep some of these on the books in the rural and country areas to allow potential future expansion. Most of the organized and outlaw offroading done in NH is done on these Class VI roads. Many of these roads offer a full spectrum of obstacles. From a stocker 2wd casual stroll to full out modded trailer queen only obstacles.

This law now allows the town officials to close the access off to us at literally a moments notice. By giving the towns use of the "emergency vote" , this makes it so that it dosent even have to come up for discussion with the townspeople. So now all it takes is 1 complaint of noise, land abuse, polution of any sort, etc and with the rap of a gavel, the road is gone from open legal use.

I feel bad that its coming to this but I can understand why it happens. For @ 15 or so years there has been an Easter Sunday outlaw event on the other side of town from me in a section known as Mast and Birch roads. These are small sections of class VI roads off of other populated town roads. These areas offer some good mudding during the spring. This year gave us record setting amounts of rain so it made for ideal conditions for this outlaw event. The town used to try to get the local federallies to harras and chase away the froaders, but the outlaw froaders come for this event in huge numbers. This year the town put up some jersey barriers only to keep the offroaders off private property and out of a ecological sensitive area of marsh, and also at 1 exit out onto a hot top road. This exit is on a bad corner and the town didnt want tons of slippery mud dumped out onto the hot top road or the mess that it creates.

I had family stuff going on and didnt get to see what went on that Sunday. I did get over there and check it out in my rig a few days later. The town had by then removed all the barriers so it was back to normal. But what got left behind by the participants scared me. There were literlly thousands of beverage cans and bottles strewn out everywhere......garbage, shit, whatever you want to call it. The place was disgusting.

I havent seen it with my own 2 eyes, but my Brother inlaw that lives out near there told me that the town has now barricaded the entire place and put up no trespassing signs everywhere. They have used there new law and shut the place down. Hefty fines will be handed out to anyone that wants to find a way in there and test the patience of the local PD.

Ive been around the block once or twice and I would bet that the type off offroaders that make up the outlaw wheeling majority arent here reading this post. So Im venting to the minority of off road folks in hopes that this can passed on to maybe a few of the outlaw bunch so that they see what can happen from the negligence of a few, or a whole lot of idiots and how it effects those of us that do beleive in carry in, carry out and understand most of the multilevel meanings of Tread Lightly. Neutral

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really sucks. Is there any provisions for appeals? What about if it can be proved that a road has been used by the public for generations? Or does the new law disregard that?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
That really sucks. Is there any provisions for appeals? What about if it can be proved that a road has been used by the public for generations? Or does the new law disregard that?

It can be appealed at the Selectmans meetings, but with the backwoods, goodfella's, I'll scratch yours if you scratch mine, good ol' boys club.....also known as Small town NH politics Rolling Eyes there wont be much chance of turning this around. The only way they have to allow the road to stay open is if an abutter wants or needs access to property from the same roads. Its the recreational used roads that are in harms way of being shut down.

Some other roads in that state that are popular with the organized clubs like NEOW and NEWJO that have been closed, were done so, or so Im told, because of issues of errosion. Some closed roads are supposed to be reopened after July 1st. This is when the weather tends to dry up around here as far as rain goes so ruts on hills dont form as easily as they do when its wet.

Maybe YellowX will have some insight on this too, I think Fred is active with NEWJO and NEOW.

WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, as I was curious about what was done over at the Mast/Birch road area I swung over there on my way home to take a look.

The barriers are all gone again and there are some no trespassing signs up on the private property adjacent to the roads. It looks like someone was in there mudding today at some point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Use Issues All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: