Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Decision, Marlin needs your help

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Wrangler trim should Marlin get?
Unlimited
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Rubicon
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Marlin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Final Decision, Marlin needs your help Reply with quote

Moderators, I need this to be widely seen, because I must make this decision, finally, soon. Please do not move this thread. Gracias.

Okay.

So. Here I am, at a crossroads, you might say.

I am quite literally about a weekend away from actually buying this fabled Jeep, it has all been leading up to this.

I'm thinking Unlimited or Rubicon. Both have advantages. I'm leaning Unlimited but I really would like the convenience of having all TJ accessories and upgrades being able to fit. Unlimited doesn't look to have many accessories in the works for it...

The extra space on Unlimited is nice, but not essential for me. I will probably never carry more than one other person, and so I am starting to wonder why the hell I even need 13 inches of behind-rear-seat cargo space.

Last weekend I test drove both the Unlimited and Sport(didn't have Auto Rubicon) on the road, highway and feeder, and then on a small trail behind the dealership.

The Unlimited had a soft top, Sport had a hard top, Sport was significantly quieter, even at 40, 30 mph. The ride also seemed to be... better in the sport. Which surprised me. I thought the Unlimited was supposed to ride better!

Around turns, the Unlimited felt better, but just driving along, the TJ actually felt better for some reason.

The driving will be on-road all weekdays from about September to May, with the exception of late December(winter break), and then I will be hitting some trails as time permits, on a weekend-to-weekend tentative basis. Nothing too hard, I don't really intend to be a rock crawler, but I'd like to make the Jeep work.

Will the Unlimited ride better with a 2.5" lift and 32/33s vs. a TJ?

Perhaps sometime later in the summer, I hope to have worked up enough to afford such a lift, and 32 or 33 inch tires. I really like those AEV wheels, in silver, though they are 160 bucks a pop.

Basically I want to know which one I should get. Been liking Unlimited, been aiming for it, but of course, having last second doubts, please reaffirm my initial choice or further my doubts.

Thanks a lot,

Marlin.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My call would be to get the Rubicon. But that's me.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Whatever I get I'm getting in Patriot Blue with a hard top to start(maybe a bikini a little later for the summer).

Khaki or Black hard top???

Please voice opinions and then reasons why I should get either Jeep. I've always had a tough time with purchasing decisions because I am, by nature, an exceedingly careful spender, quality-for-the-dollar kind of person. And now I am buying a vehicle, and my mind is a mess over what to do, I can't make it up.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Rubicon mainly cause of the factory lockers. I don't know much about the Unlimited so I really can't speak to it.

As to the color hard top to get, that really comes down to personal choice/preference. My choice will not necessarily be yours....I mean, I would go soft top myself.

But if I was picking a hard top to go with Patriot Blue I would go black...again that's me.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubicon, at its current discounted price, almost seems impossible to pass up.

Also, seeing as it is still a TJ(glorified though it is), it will work with all of the available upgrades and mods out there for TJs... which really matters to me. Rubicon or not, I am going to treat whatever I get well, over the long term, as I make money.

And yeah, it does have lockers. Man. And "dual" 44s, even though the front isn't really, but hey, it basically is.

I see it like this... Unlimited... I can carry 4 people and some things around town and be unremarkable, so it would feel. Or I could get a Rubicon, carry a person with me, and things, or 4 people and a few things, and go wherever I want to go in the world. Hmm.

I've voice my rethinking to my father who doesn't seem to agree that the Rubicon is such a steal. I've told him that the upgrades and modifications already on it are expensive aftermarket, etc., he seems to think the Unlimited is more practical(I won't totally disagree) and safer. It isn't safer. I won't be carrying more than myself hardly ever, all my friends have cars, or are getting them. Besides, first 6 months of license, which I'm a month into, can't even carry more than one extra minor legally in Texas.

So am I rationalizing it...maybe. Maybe I just really want the Rubicon. I'm going to make a list for myself.
EEP Grl
Hot Momma

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still fit four people into a rubicon.... if your not gonna drive around with them alot anyhow - who cares? I'd say get the Rubicon... if u start with an unlimted and add the options the rubicon has that the unlimited doesnt have - youll spend WAY more money then if u just bought the rubicon in the first place. just my 2 cents. Second since its ultimatly gong to be your jeep, just get what YOU want and dont think about friends or parents and what THEY want cause your the one driving and paying for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEP Grl wrote:
paying for it.

Half. They've got some say. But everything you said is on the mark, and especially the part about how the Rubicon costs less than upgrading an Unlimited to Rubicon specs, or even close.

But, they said I pick what I want, so yeah. Rubicon feels more right. I also think we may be able to get one as cheap as an Unlimited if we haggle it right.

I still want the board's opinion.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the short and sweet answer

never go off road or only minimal use ......Unlimited

Taking regular trips off road were lockers will be handy.....Rubi

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing the unlimited has over the rubicon is a longer wheelbase, whihc makes a bigger difference than you think, but a locked tj could probably still kick its ass. if it were between an unlimited and regular tj i'd say unlimited but between those two go for the rubicon

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

option C go get a stock jeep and learn how to wheel it before becomeing even more of a yuppie and buying and over built rig that you cant drive and will just wind up destroying.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DozerDan wrote:
option C go get a stock jeep and learn how to wheel it before becomeing even more of a yuppie and buying and over built rig that you cant drive and will just wind up destroying.

if you wanna do it the hard but more educational way get the unlimited. but you have to think about the money factor the rubicon is alot cheaper in the long run than buying a stock jeep. a good compriise is just not turning on the lockers for your first 10 trips or soemthign like that

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubi

Or go here and find out what everyone said the first time.

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1288

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always with a picture eh?

I put this up because I'm within, literally, a week of buying. Probably this weekend, because I have no better time, and quite possibly tomorrow.

Just wanted to make sure my switch of opinion wasn't insane. Sheesh.
Marlin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
DozerDan wrote:

if you wanna do it the hard but more educational way get the unlimited. but you have to think about the money factor the rubicon is alot cheaper in the long run than buying a stock jeep. a good compriise is just not turning on the lockers for your first 10 trips or soemthign like that

And the long-run money thing is a big thought for me. I don't also have the time to spare to spend a lot of time getting things upgraded. The Rubicon has several upgrades standard which are a good value being built in.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Final Decision, Marlin needs your help Reply with quote

Marlin wrote:
Unlimited doesn't look to have many accessories in the works for it...

There will be plenty. The model has only been available for a couple weeks. Give the manufacturers time to design and build products. AEV already put their package on an Unlimited. Go to www.aev-conversions.com for pics.

The standard short arm lift kits will all work with an Unlimited. It is just the long arm kits that will need to be redesigned.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: