Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ Track bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: ZJ Track bar Reply with quote

Before I go modding my track bar blindly--- does anyone happen to know the inner diameter of a stock ZJ (93) track bar?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner Diameter????

My track bar is solid steel.. I dont have my calipers here with me but I would sat the its about 1" solid... I extended mine for the 3.5 lift and then I made it adjustable when I went to 6" all with the aid of some DOM and a heim Joint.. Here is a link to what I did...

Note as you can see the stock ball Joint broke on my Extended bar.. Thats why I went with a heim joint..

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=121766&ck=

I also painted it hammered black instead of red.. IT slowed me down, and I lost some horsepower but everyone knows black paint is stronger... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that changes my idea. I wanted to cut the bar, thread the inside and use some all-thread to use for adjustment. Once I had it the right lenght, I was going to sleeve the bar to make it solid again.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. Its solid.. I also have a spare heim and piece of pipe that I will sell very cheap.. All you would have to do is measure the length you need for your track bar by taking a heavy ratchet strap and hook it from the drivers shock bracket to the passenger tow hook and pull it tight til it centers your axle then make a measurement.. Point to point ..

At least thats how I did it and it worked fine for me..
At that point I cut off the very tip of my track bar.(ball joint) and welded the new sleeve with the heim screwed about 1/2 way in..

Hope that helps.. Let me know if theres anything else you need to know..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swanem

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a press and go with 9/16" press out. I think that is what we used with my BB. You aren't much over that, so start there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: