Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grease points and what to use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudahula

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Grease points and what to use Reply with quote

where are they and what should i use to grease em up? im a noob at this stuff Wink thanks for the info!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Grease points and what to use Reply with quote

dudahula wrote:
where are they and what should i use to grease em up? im a noob at this stuff Wink thanks for the info!

There is talk of doing a writeup on this, but in the meantime I'll try to help you out. First off you'll need a grease gun. You can pick them up at you local autoparts strore. They are fairly inexpensive and look a little something like this:

What you want to use in the gun is a chassis lubricant. It will come in a tube that fits the gun and will be NLGI rated LB or GC-LB.

Now you just need to crawl under the front end of your Jeep and find all the grease points. They will have what are called Zerk fittings...unfortunatley this is the best picture I have of one:

Off the top of my head, I forget exactly how many there are...but someone here will know. Wink

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YellowX

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 zerks total in the front end.
BlueJ

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some aftermarket goodies may increase the number of greasable zerks, like JKS "quicker disconnects"....
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go buy your grease gun, get one with a flex hose. You'll be very happy you did. Lincoln makes good stuff.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
When you go buy your grease gun, get one with a flex hose. You'll be very happy you did. Lincoln makes good stuff.

Ditto, what Troy said.

Once you find how easy it is to grease your rig, you might find that it gets greased more often. Do you go offroad? If you do, you want to do this often, more especially if your mudding or forging any streams or rivers. Becides lubricating the joints the grease will push out any moisture and dirt.

But dont over fill the joints either, you dont want to have so much in them that the rubber seals look bloated.

The grease points are the upper ball joints(2) the lower steering ball joints(2) the lower draglink joint(1) the upper draglink/pitman arm joint(1) and finally the front trackbar joint at the frame(1) for a total of 7 OEM zerks. Like BlueJ mentioned above, if you have aftermarket quick disconects, they may have grease zerks also.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TJgirl

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: The Grease Reply with quote

you guys give great information!, thanks, I always wonderd where these zurks were, now I know. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: