Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TCase Leaking (New SYE installed..)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: TCase Leaking (New SYE installed..) Reply with quote

I've got a slow leak, drips everytime I stop and I get a "spot" about the size of my fist on the ground. any ideas? I tightened that bolt slightly with the plastic washer, and tightened 2 bolts slightly at the bottom of the tailcone housing. Not sure what else to do. Should I try RTV around that "special" bolt with the plastic washer? Any ideas?

TIA!
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: TCase Leaking (New SYE installed..) Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
I've got a slow leak, drips everytime I stop and I get a "spot" about the size of my fist on the ground. any ideas? I tightened that bolt slightly with the plastic washer, and tightened 2 bolts slightly at the bottom of the tailcone housing. Not sure what else to do. Should I try RTV around that "special" bolt with the plastic washer? Any ideas?

TIA!

Keith, where's it coming from? The 2 biggest problems that I've found with a leaking SYE is from the plug/nut with the plastic washer and the o-ring for the speedometer gear. You said you tightened the plug....check the condition of the o-ring in the speedo.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked like it oculd have been coming from that plug with the plastic washer, should I RTV it? I looked up from the speedo gear and nothing wet at all... But I could be wrong.

I'm thinking my course of action should be, replace the oring on the speedo gear and rtv that plug in so I don't over torque it.. Do you agree?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedo o-ring is damaged pretty easily. If you didn't replace it when you swapped it, I'd change it now. I goofed mine up and it leaked but I don't remember it leaking that much.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
The speedo o-ring is damaged pretty easily. If you didn't replace it when you swapped it, I'd change it now. I goofed mine up and it leaked but I don't remember it leaking that much.

I didn't change mine and haven't had any problems. We didn't change your's either Keith. But I asked b/c I know some guys have trouble with them leaking after doing the SYE.

Where on the case is wet with the ATF? Is it on the bottom, or back/rear/side whatever you want to call it?
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

I didn't change mine and haven't had any problems. We didn't change your's either Keith. But I asked b/c I know some guys have trouble with them leaking after doing the SYE.

Where on the case is wet with the ATF? Is it on the bottom, or back/rear/side whatever you want to call it?

Yup, it's ATF.. Looks like right under that plug witht he plastic washer and it was on the case towards the rear of the vehicle, so I assume it came from that plug or maybe the speedo gear..

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: