Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a couple of questions w/in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Have a couple of questions w/in Reply with quote

1. Does anyone here have a MSD box on their TJ? I've been thinking about getting one and wanted to see if anyone had any problems with it.

2. Whats everyones opinion on Garvin Industries bumpers?

Thanks!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd looked at the Garvin a cpl years ago. It seems like it was a little pricey for me at the time. Maybe check this thread out.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the MSD goes, I've never had one in a Jeep...but I have had one in every street rod I've ever owned, including the one I have now. The MSD ignition boxes have never given me a problem in any of them.

Can I ask why you are thinking about putting one in the TJ (4.0L I assume)? I ask because I'm not sure how much of a performance gain you're going to see with it...they are really for delivering consistent spark at sustained, high RPM's. Unless the Jeep is a trailer queen only taken out to compete, I would put that money into other mods...

My $0.02

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
As far as the MSD goes, I've never had one in a Jeep...but I have had one in every street rod I've ever owned, including the one I have now. The MSD ignition boxes have never given me a problem in any of them.

Can I ask why you are thinking about putting one in the TJ (4.0L I assume)? I ask because I'm not sure how much of a performance gain you're going to see with it...they are really for delivering consistent spark at sustained, high RPM's. Unless the Jeep is a trailer queen only taken out to compete, I would put that money into other mods...

My $0.02

Steve

I have been thinking the same. I have had a few MSD 6AL boxes in a couple different trucks and was wondering if they would do much for the Jeep. At the time I couldnt find anyone that was running the MSD with the newer plugwireless/distributorless ignition setup to ask for comments. I am wondering if there would be any true gain. MSD boxes offer a consistant pulse at higher RPM's where common OEM ignitions start to faulter. Seeing that the 2.5 and 4.0 both run low RPM, would there be a benefit?

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit is having multiple sparks on every cycle instead of just one, which in turn burns the fuel more completely in the combustion chamber, which in turn gives better mpg, which in turn gives more HP. Actually the MSD/Accel boxes offer more down in the lower RPMs than they do in the upper...its the coil that is usually choking off or not keeping up with the rest of the system at high RPMs.

With the way gas prices are now, I want to get EVERY mpg I can, especially now that I have a 100mile round trip commute to work everyday.

I'm also thinking about getting a cut-out for the Jeep for better exhaust flow...more mpg, I'm serious! LOL

Smile

I have Accel products on all my other vehicles and I LOVE them! Never had a MSD ignition system, so I was just wondering if anyone had any issues with them

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
I'd looked at the Garvin a cpl years ago. It seems like it was a little pricey for me at the time. Maybe check this thread out.

Thanks for the thread broh, but that was for a roof top carrier.

I was just curious of their fit/finish/strength and if any inherint issues were known...things like that.

I keep coming back to the Garvin stuff just because it looks good and can do everything that I want it to.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if yer gonna put in an MSD why would you run the stock coil? Wink

The MSD ignition boxes do give muliple spark discharges (thus the acronym) at lower RPM's. But that's really only usefull when you have a very high compression ratio requiring you to run high octane fuel.

Octane is actually a rating of how much compression a fuel mixture will take before it detonates. So, on 87 or 89 pump gas and with the compression ratios that Jeeps run (8.7:1 on the 4.0 and 9.1:1 on the 2.5) the fuel is close to detonation when the spark hits. The mixture is thus burned very effeciantly as it is and you won't see any performance/MPG gains by adding an MSD.

Again, my $0.02

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had MSD's in 2 trucks and 1 stock car.....no problems

Would I waste money on one for my Jeep? No. I just dont think that theres enough gain to be had there from it. Please go ahead and drop one in and get some before and after dyno results and prove me wrong. Wink

Now that said, by itself it wont do much, but if you were to start realy modding and machining the engine, ie: stroker kit, aluminum pistons, cam, rollers, big valves, flowbenched intake and headwork, etc etc then yeah it may be better than non-msd ignition. This wont help gas mileage much though Mr. Green

Dosent Accel or MSD or someone make a 18-20K volt coil for the stock ignition system? I beleive stock is @10-14K volts. If I were looking to do something in the ignition dept. this is where I would start. Again this is taking into account that were talking about the pre-01/02 spark plug rail and distributorless ignition.

blupupher

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does MSD even make anything for the coil on plug system?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blupupher wrote:
Does MSD even make anything for the coil on plug system?

Nothing Ive seen....no one has upgrades that Im aware of

KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is an adaptor unit for the newer Jeeps from MSD, I'm an Accel man myself, which is the only reason I was looking at MSD.

thephantum reminded me of a very important fact, I use 87 octane therefore a MSD box really wouldn't be beneficial on a stock setup...all of my vehicles except for this one has needed 93+...so I didn't even think about that aspect!!! LOL

I've decided against it...just trying to figure out ways for better mpg...

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:

I've decided against it...just trying to figure out ways for better mpg...

KnightFire

I with ya on that Cool

But I still look at my last non-Jeep, a 99 Ram 4x4 w/360ci engine.
That pig only got 12mpg tops, on a good day. So the 15/16 mpg average on my Jeep dosent hurt as bad. I dont use my TJ as a DD either, but I could see that using it as a commute vehicle could be expensive.

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminate body weight...

IT worked for me... Mr. Green

laugh laugh

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: