Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axle shift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
striker_3

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: axle shift Reply with quote

Apparently, my front axle is shifted to the left and the rear one is shifted to the right. When I took my hard top off, it made my left rear tire come into contact with the frame where the coil springs hits the frame. Anybody else ever see anything like this? I suprised that the hardtop actually made a difference on the suspension, since you couldn't tell it by looking at it.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardtop weighs @180 pounds, so it does effect some stuff. But Ive
never heard of it doing what its apparently doing to your rig. Thats a bit of a head scratcher.

What size tires/wheels are you running? Any lift? how old is your rig? Could both the front and rear trackbar bushings be toast?

Lots of Jeepers remove their tops all the time without that problem.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
striker_3

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99 TJ. Its a long story why, but there is a 2in BB with 32s. The front axle was shifted before the BB, so I think its bent control arms (I posted this problem in the past). Tuesday night I took the top off, and Wednesday morning I smelled something that smelled like fresh asphalt and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. On the way to work Thursday morning, I got a flat. When I changed the tire, it looked like something had dug a groove into the inside sidewall. I drove home (less than a mile) and looked at the new tire. It had a groove dug in it too. Its rubbing on a hump that is next to the spring seat. And to top it off, since the inside of the tire is shredded, I can't get it fixed.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to pick up a relocation bracket for the rear trackbar, there @ $18-20 for OME. This should help correct what the 2" BB offset and now the lack of hardtop weight is multiplying.

As far as the front goes, either get an adjustable trackbar(recomended) or drill a new hole in the axle housing(cheap and not realy recomended) so that the axle can be centered again.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
striker_3

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the backspacing on stock Gambler wheels? I need less backspacing to fix the rubbing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: