Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tera Low and SYE Kits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Tera Low and SYE Kits Reply with quote

Considering the 4:1 kit for the NP231 from Tera Low. I haven't seen any bad reviews so far... but I haven't much information after installation, nor have I seen other kits besides Tera's. Also SYE kits... plenty of these on the market... would appreciate any feedback I can get. Does anyone know who sells them as a package deal?
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with the TeraLow kit, other than it's about $1200 (give or take a couple hundred) and it replaces the front half of the transfer case.

I do have some experience with the SYE kits. JB Conversions and Advance Adapters make the 2 most popular kits. Both replace the main shaft of the transfer case with a stronger shaft that also eliminates the slip yoke on the rear of the t-case. Hence the name Slip Yoke Eliminator. What the SYE does really though it relocate the slip joint from the yoke, to the driveshaft. The drivetrain still needs to maintain the ability to expand and contract based on the cycling of the suspension, so you need to have a slip joint somewhere in the drivetrain.

There are other kits out there that cost more or less. One of the cheaper ones is the RE Hack & Tap. With this kit, you do not have to open the t-case for installation. Basically, you cut off a portion of the stock mainshaft (the "hack" part) and then drill & tap the end of it so that you can attach a driveshaft yoke onto the now shortened stock main shaft. Advantages to this kit are it's cheaper ($99 last time I checked) and you don't need to open the case. But it's also weaker b/c the stock main shaft in the t-case is smaller than the HD SYE kits out on the market.

One of the more expensive kits is fairly new to the market and was released by JB Conversions. This is the Super Shorty SYE. It's 2.25" shorter than a standard SYE. This kit will allow you to have an even longer driveshaft that will allow you to have a smoother running driveline. It also uses an electronic speed sensor so you also don't have to worry about swapping speedo gears with bigger or smaller tires. There is also an optional control box for the speedo that allows you to calibrate your speed with any tire and gear combination. Pretty cool feature. If I was doing my SYE again, I wouldn't bother with the standard kits and would go directly for the Super Shorty.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you can buy the SYE and driveshaft in a combo from a lot of different retailers. Most places actually sell them together b/c you can't really use one without the other. I bought my AA SYE kit and Tom Woods shaft through DC4WD for $450 plus shipping back in April 2003. The best way to complete the install is to do the SYE first, and then determine what length driveshaft you need for your Jeep. You don't want a cookie cutter shaft, but one that's built to the specs you need to built to.
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jasper, if you are interested in a Tearlow kit, a friend of mine owns a 4x4 shop and he gets sweet deals on Teralow kits. He also sells SYE kits and driveshafts....could probably hook you up with a good package deal. Pm me if ya want his #.
Crazy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new JB Conversions short SYE is on special for $299.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everything ehirner said except for this part....

ehirner wrote:
I don't have any experience with the TeraLow kit, other than it's about $1200 (give or take a couple hundred).

if you are a member of BMJA then brian at county chrysler in hamburg pa will get you the tera1low kit for around $850. at that price it's definitely on my short list. oh, and i agree with the supershort kit from jb conversions - just keep in mind that your speedo will be off since it uses a hall sensor setup instead of a gear. Smile
chris
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
i agree with everything ehirner said except for this part....

ehirner wrote:
I don't have any experience with the TeraLow kit, other than it's about $1200 (give or take a couple hundred).

if you are a member of BMJA then brian at county chrysler in hamburg pa will get you the tera1low kit for around $850. at that price it's definitely on my short list. oh, and i agree with the supershort kit from jb conversions - just keep in mind that your speedo will be off since it uses a hall sensor setup instead of a gear. Smile
chris

Yeah...that's why I said to give or take a couple hundred.
AFWTJ

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the SYE Kit and the 4:1 with a 2 Low range. The slip yoke did allow me to raise the Tcase back up against the frame. This was a big hang up for me going over the rocks. Any vibes that I had are about the same.

The 4:1 kit is KILLER!!! 3rd gear is now equivelent to what my 1st gear was. You can actually trick the computer into thinking the jeep's idle is too low by letting the clutch out slightly. This will lower the rpms, the computer will add to get it back to 800 rpms. This will allow you to roll over rocks without any gas.

I also bought mine thru Brian at County. It was a special deal at that time, but I got mine for under $800 with the 2 Low kit. The 2 low kit comes in handy when you need to make tight turns, but want to keep the crawl ratio. It is also very nice when backing up and turning. No binding of the front end.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFWTJ wrote:
The 2 low kit comes in handy when you need to make tight turns, but want to keep the crawl ratio. It is also very nice when backing up and turning. No binding of the front end.

I've got a 2lo kit right now also...

....just drop it in to 4low without a front driveshaft.

Mr. Green rofl
AFWTJ

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, if I remember correctly, someone even warned the group about going over the Driveshaft Bustin Rock that took the life your of your front Dshaft.

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: