Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

caliper overhaul kits, why a no no?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrab3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: caliper overhaul kits, why a no no? Reply with quote

From what I find online, seems the best route to fix a seized caliper is to comepletely replace instead of rebuild. Why is that? I understand braking is extremely important, but I dont know why its apparently frowned upon.

Can anyone enlighten me on this.......

see Swampy, I still go online! Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: caliper overhaul kits, why a no no? Reply with quote

ecrab3 wrote:
From what I find online, seems the best route to fix a seized caliper is to comepletely replace instead of rebuild. Why is that? I understand braking is extremely important, but I dont know why its apparently frowned upon.

Can anyone enlighten me on this.......

see Swampy, I still go online! Wink

Well, most auto parts stores sell rebuilt calipers, so I dunno about that.

If the caliper is seized it kinda makes sense, since it would have to be honed out. Still, as long as the measurements after honing/cleanout are within tolerances, it should not be a problem. But you can only hone it so many times. Kinda like turning the rotors or drums...eventually it gets to a point where no more metal can be safely taken off and they need to be replaced.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ive run into this also. I used to be able to by rebuild kits for any vehicle I had. Then it seemed that I could buy a rebuilt cylinder for same or less for a rebuild kit. Last time I bought them @ 10 years ago I paid $13 per cylinder after core charge. Now cylinders seem to be in the $75+ range.

The front brakes of my TJ froze up after my first heavy mud ride. It seems that the slightest amount of mud can find its way into the piston seal and cause this issue. And DC wont cover it as a warentee due to mud being a abuse to there offroad vehicle Rolling Eyes

I looked into the rebuild kit vs. new cylinders a while back and ended up just yanking the brakes apart and cleaning them out.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Y2K-XJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even remember how many Calipers Ive rebuilt!
and no problems Here..
Ive gotten rebuild kits for as low as $15.00
Hmmm Im not sure what else to say on this one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ecrab3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks on yalls input. I havent prices autozone calipers yet, but that might be the way to go. A boneyard trip also might be a solution.

Its defitely the sand and mud that killed that brake. I try to wash them well when getting home, but by then its already too late.

Well thanks again guys Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: