Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I came across a 231 HD today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: I came across a 231 HD today... Reply with quote

And I bought it... It has a slip yolk eliminator on it already.. SO I am taking out the 242 and swapping in the 231D I have to have both of my shafts redone so it may cost me more money than I really want to spend but I am only building this rig once...

PIcs will be posted very soon... ALong with the spare tire carrier..
SOrry for the delay..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent! Where'd you find it? Cool
Y2K-XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why take out the 242?
I love mine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sad to say.. I busted the poop out of my 242 so it had to go.. I got the 231D from a 2001 Dodge truck I found in the bone yard.. It has the long solid yolk rear on it and 4 bolt flange front.. SO I have to get both the shafts reworked..

But I am still very happy that I finally have a shaft that will hold up to my abuse.. ( I really thought the 242 would but I know better now. Very Happy )

By the way.. I have done lots of work to my motor ... Its far from stock the 242 would hold up to an I6 without a problem but to my beefed up 5.2 was just to much for it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wwbmopar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got an update yet. I was looking at the same swap for mine. I heard that the linkage would need modifing, but since Rams and Dakotas came with a 42RE tranny should be a direct swap.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is finished... I had several problems.. The least of which was the shifter...

It was about 10 inches longer than a 242.. It was from a 2002 so the speed sensor didnt work at all.. It had a huge massive yolk on the end...
All of these could have been over come..(except for the speedo.. I would have had to do some serious engineering for that one...)
I could have gotten my shaft cut shorter and put a yolk on to match the case.. (Oh it also had a slip yolk elimnator on it..So I would have had to completly trash my shaft and start over... ) Anyway.. A new shaft would have made it workable.. But Instead.. I just took the Big 231D sprockets and put them and the chain on a 231J .. It made my 231J hella strong and I am just as happy as I would have been otherwise.. (Maybe happier sinceI saved $400 by not buying a new shaft...) Mr. Green

Hope that helps...

Carl

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Also the input would have worked fine.. But like I said. I am cheap and didnt want to spend money on a new shaft.. Embarassed Owned by my tight pockets...

wwbmopar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the way to go. 10 inches longer with a SYE. Thats a long tcase. Was the SYE stock? I remember the 231D on my Dakota had a slip yoke and could use the same speedo gear, but it was a 97. Must have been a change later on.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an option on some... If you look at enough you will find one with the SYE
Good luck.. Keep me informed on your progress..

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: