Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy what to buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMThor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: What to buy what to buy Reply with quote

I have to be honest, I am not doing too much mudding right now. This is because I have not paid off my TJ yet and am scared to really screw it up yet.
My question is this. Which would be your first purchase? Lockers or more fog lights? I have 31s already and don't go hard core yet. I don't know how often I would use the lockers so that is what is holding me up...dang I hate being a noob.
FM2CD Club Member #5
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lockers are good things they are a big step. You will wind up getting into stuff you never intended on and quick.

If you go i would say front locker, there is a recent discussion onit too.

You can go with lights or i know a great guy who sells some sweet rock rails (yeh yeh its a shameless plug )

Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor, If you're not too hard core right now I would say lights, rails or a winch. You will eventually get them anyway, and they are all visible, as a locker is not. Crying or Very sad You'll be able to see them, and that is the most important thing to getting started. It's when you've started going offroading more when lockers would be more usefull. Wink

Oh, If you don't already have them I would also reccomend some offroad bumpers- not the mall ready tube bumpers shock , but something that could take a tree down and keep smiling. Finger

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems is that people overbuild their rigs for what they do. I would take the money spent on lockers and buy a lift or protection that could be used, bumpers,rockers,skid plates, etc. It's good to be able to see at night, but don't over do it.

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about the locker is that since you wouldn't need it much, you'd prolly not want to deal with a full time unit....and selectables are rather pricey. I was the same way when I started modding, I hadda be able to see the end results physically to justify it. Might not of been the smartest way to go, but I wasn't wheeling much or that hard and the instant "wow" factor was mandatory for me. Whatever you bolt on, just make sure it's practical and can be used in conjunction with future build plans down the road. Most of the must need mods down the road become the ones you can't see....regearing, beefier steering setup, SYE, crawling gears, etc. They won't cosmetically enhance the heep, but you'll notice them as soon as you hit the trail or highway depending on the application. Doesn't seem like ya need to worry about those yet Smile .
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the world do you live because those little bastard smurfs get everywhere. The reason that I'm asking is that here in PA we have rocks, lot's of them, all sizes and rocks beat the crap out the underside of your Jeep which can be bad if it happens to be your steering box or your oil pan. However if you live in the swamps then maybe a snorkel or something would be more benificial. Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...what Mike said. The surfaces/terrain you wheel on will dictate what the upgrade should be. If you're not wheeling on a lot of rocks, then I would say a winch or a bumper. Like drack and qadhafi stated before it's something you can see and that's important when you're doing first mods.

If you are on rocks I would agree with armor; either underside or rock rails. Despite the fact that underside armor is almost invisible, it'll be money well spent.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PMThor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Cincinnati, which is not too rocky. But as to making road trips, I am into it all the time. Every 3 weeks I have a week off, so I go all over the place, from the deep south to the upper reaches of Canada. I love this problem I having right now. I really can't make up my mind right now....
FM2CD Club Member #5
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best things that you can do is to lift your jeep, and do while you have the money to, cause once you don't it is a pain in the ass

My Morning Jacket
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go rock wheeling then go for skid's. Spending $60 on a steering box skid could save you loads of money buying a replacement.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel your jeep. You will learn its weak spots. Obviously dont slam it down on a rock and punch a hole through your oil pan or gas tank and think man I need to by a skid plate. Wink

My first experiences told me I need better tires and some hieght. Hence the 33's and all terrian tires. I dont mud so mudders where not what I needed. I dont really rock crawl either I just tool around so my tires and lift dictated what I should buy.

I would look into your basic skid plates like steering, gas and possibly an engine plate depending on how wild you get/feel.

I dont hit the rocks, but I'll tell you what the first time I was putting around and hit something it bent my front license plate back around my front stock bumper and lucky I was moving slow a stump could of easily damaged my steering box or my front pumpkin.

I guess Im ranting and raving about under body armor Wink
sfrans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body armor, body armor. Start with skids and rock rails. Do a bellyup, gas tank,oil pan and steering box skids. I wheeled my last rig for 3-4 years without any damage. Then in one shot I got both rockers. I was going between 2 trees, dropped frontend into a soft mud hole. I'd been through it many times before alone or with 1 passenger. This time I had 2 people in back, oooops. Bumpers after that. You won't need more lights until you're wheeling at night.
Whatever you do as others have said, plan where you want to be, buy accordingly and buy quality
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Lights vs Lockers Reply with quote

You said MORE lights... lights are cheap, you can buy them at any corner auto parts house. Lights never got me out of a mud hole or off a rock. Invest in the locker(s), decide what tire size you want, decide what ring and pinion will be best for your terrain and choose the lift that will give the clearance you need. If you got traction you won't need a winch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: