Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marlin's Rubicon Gets a Bit Dirty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Marlin's Rubicon Gets a Bit Dirty Reply with quote

Took it out to that dirt spot in our area, which was muddy after the rains of the last few days in South Texas.

The underside:

To this I add a question, how thoroughly do I need to clean out the underside? For a short while after this short off-road trip, the steering and acceleration felt quite a bit more loose than normal.

I'll clean the whole thing off tomorrow or Friday, though I must admit I like the way it looks a lot like this... for the Jeep and sanity I must.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to clean off as much mud as you can. Also clean your wheels - it'll throw off their balance.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said...the trick is to clean off the underside and wheels while leaving as much on the body as you can....Jeeps just look better with some mud on them! rofl Wink

As far as it feeling "loose" for awhile, it's just perception. It's the difference between being in 4WD vs. 2WD. Every time I come off a trail and pop back into 2WD, I swear there is something wrong with my brakes. The Jeep just doesn't seem to want to stop...but it's just the fact that I've been in 4LO and not had to use the brakes as much since the lower gearing limits speed and helps slow you down.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look cool with mud on it Smile But dont leave it on to long. It will get into the moving parts and wear stuff out early.....it can realy scratch up the paint finish too, so hose off the heavy stuff before you go near it with a wash sponge or brush.......otherwise you will grind the dirt into the paint shock

Also some advice about lockers. With the switch in the Rube so handy, activating them all the time off road is very tempting. NEVER lock them in while on asphault. Always wait till your on dirt. The rear is the one that will be used most offroad. It dosent generally hurt to turm it on and leave it on while 'froading. Your turning radius will be affected the most. Locked axles dont like tight turns. The front axle should only be locked in extreme need conditions and never while needing to do tight turns during high traction conditions.....like on rocks or super hardpack. You can break the front axle shafts or u-joints quite easily while doing this.

Have fun with it Cool

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good investment is a Husky Pressure Washer available from Home Depot. Get at least 1500psi. Mine has allready paid for itself. DIY carwashes are far and few between, the closest to me is 12 miles away. Around here it used to cost me $8-$10 bucks to wash my Jeep after mudding. And I always had to go late at night or real early so I wouldnt get harrased by the owner of the place because of the mud clumps I would leave behind.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Photo Album All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: