Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 9" axle??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunderchooch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Ford 9" axle?? Reply with quote

I have a friend who is going to give me a Ford 9" rear axle out of a 78,79 Ford Bronco. What kind of mods will I have to do to make it fit under my 97 ZJ? I haven't even seen it yet, but its free and will give me something to work on for a while I am sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Tom Woods Driveshaft
OME SS and Shocks
Surco Roof rack W/ lights
JKS Q.D.'s, Cb and PA
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full size Bronco? It'll be too wide for stock applications and I believe they've got either 5x5 or 5x5.5 for a bolt pattern. So it won't match your front end, in either width or BP.

Aside from that, I'd say throw in a locker and regear to whatever choice gears you want, and rock on.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITs also leaf sprung so you would have to weld on coil buckets and control arm mounts .. If it where me .. I would find a dana 44 front (same truck or similar) and put them both in ... Then you would be full width front and rear and you could just buy a set of rims...

OH front will have to be done as well.. It will most likely be leaf sprung..

If you are not ready for that kind of work yet.. Just hold on to it... YOu will be soon... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
ITs also leaf sprung so you would have to weld on coil buckets and control arm mounts .. If it where me .. I would find a dana 44 front (same truck or similar) and put them both in ... Then you would be full width front and rear and you could just buy a set of rims...

OH front will have to be done as well.. It will most likely be leaf sprung..

If you are not ready for that kind of work yet.. Just hold on to it... YOu will be soon... Very Happy

The fronts actually are coil sprung...but you may run in to issues with the radius arm mounts. Certain years (I think it's 78+), the mounts are manufactured as part of the axle tube. You can't cut them off without destroying the tube. The older ones, the mounts are welded to the tube and can be removed fairly easily with a cutting wheel and grinder.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct sir... Embarassed I was actually thinking about a Jeep Front 44(SJ) .. Embarassed Embarassed (I know the bolt pattern is different and most are passenger drop..)
BUt the point is still the same.. Lots of work to swap in a 9" and when you do it you may as well do a front... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thunderchooch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the information, I think I will hold onto it and eventually look for a 44 for the front to swap in at the same time. I appreciate the advice.

Brian
Tom Woods Driveshaft
OME SS and Shocks
Surco Roof rack W/ lights
JKS Q.D.'s, Cb and PA
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: