Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Unofficial" FM2CD VA Trail ride - Rapidan, VA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: "Unofficial" FM2CD VA Trail ride - Rapidan, VA Reply with quote

OK...so it wasn't really a trail ride. Dale (majikxms) and I went searching for some legal trails for future FM2CD VA trail rides. Of course, Jen came along for the ride and Dale's cousin in law Brian rode with him. We went up north of Charlottsville into Rapidan...and we hit the jackpot. We found a few Jeep trails to plan rides around and only explored maybe a third of the area! So it was a good day.

Enjoy the pics...

It was raining almost the whole drive out from Richmond and that meant one thing...MUD!

Although we hooked up at Waffle House, it was mobbed. So we decided to do BK instead and eat in the parking lot while going over the maps. Not only did we have these (Dale has a thing for maps), but we each had GPS and I had brought the laptop with all the 24K & 50K Topo maps for the area on it...that's a lot of maps. Shocked

As we headed up Rt33, things started to look a little better...like it might actually clear up...but it never did...

This was the first trail head that we found...the rocks at the entrance seem to have been deliberatly put there to keep out the riff raff. Problem is, not all of our club members have the armor to make it over them without serious damage. Still, it's a legal trail and a small group of us could get in there...

Since Dale's XJ is bone stock, has almost no armor and is his (actually his wife's) daily driver, we had to figure out another way into the system...time to bust out the laptop. From left to right that's Brian, Dale and me.

"Dude, I knew we should have turned right at Albuquerque!!!" laugh

These next few were taken very close to Buzzard Rock, which is just about the highest point in the area. Unfortuantly, it was really overcast, so this picture overlooking the valley does not do the view justice...I mean you can't even see the Blue Ridge montains in the backdrop... Confused

Also from the same spot. That's Dale, Jen and Brian.

...and me and Brian...

Me and Jen on a logging road on the way back down from the top.

A few shots of a side trail that I decided to go about a 1/2 mile up and then come back down on. It's much steeper and much narrower than it looks in the pics...I ended up taking out a small tree on the way up trying to avoid his great grandfather who jumped out at me....damn trees...

After a busy day of wheelin' and exploring and playing in the mountains...it's time for some nourishment....
mmmmmm...Mexican Food! drool

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of maps, I'm glad we had them today because the GPS' track was way off. The base map on the Garmin Mapsource software does not have the tertiary roads, the topo maps do, but the base does not. It had us going all over the place. Steve was checking its route and the last thing he heard before the tire squeel was, "I'm on the map, !@#$ the GPS!!!" I was outta there. This was after the Strawberry Festival Parade Traffic in downtown Standardsville, VA had us turned all around, so neither of us were too happy with directions at that point. About Standardsville; Steve said that's the place where standards are set, but I didn't believe a word of it. Back to the ride. I'm all for tech stuff, but it just wasn't cutting it. Although, the laptop did come in handy when it was hooked to the GPS, which would have been all the time if someone would not have forgotten the power cord (not Jen, Brian or me, which leaves one other person). All and all it was a R & D day (Research and Development) we learned allot about our equipment, and once again it has been thrown in the face, "I have a G/G!!!" But what fun that G/G is. Soon enough Steve, she or another like her will be rock ready, my Willy's Points are up right now.

edit: I will add one pic of the elusive Forest XJ: (Steve Erwin voice) Look closely because they are hard to see with their natural camouflage. Crankies, this one looked like it was about to pounce, we got out of there fast!!!

That's Steve's "Black" if you didn't guess.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, over the last few trips we have learned a lot about our GPS's. The main lesson was just because we have technology, still be prepared to fall back on the good maps and a good compass. I know I ain't throwin' out my Delorne anytime soon!
Yes, I did forget the powercord for the laptop... eat me However, I'm really not sure how well it would have worked if Jen had to keep control of a computer on her lap for the whole trip.

Until I mount a motherboard and HD's behind the dash and stick an LCD somewhere, I actually prefer the idea of having the laptop with us and using it only when necessary (changing mapsets, looking at tracklogs, transferring waypoint, etc.), which is what we did and I think we proved that it worked.

Also, the technology didn't exactly fail us; GPS is only as good as the maps loaded on them. But yea, Dale was pretty pissed off that both of our GPS's mislead us...his missed a waypoint causing us to miss a turn. Once we figured that out and went back, that turn took us right smack dab into the Strawberry festival/parade thingie. Since mine only had the basemaps for Standardsville, it wanted to take us all the way around in a circle to get us to Rapidan...so we went back to the Delornes. Dale found a way through first and he was "on the map, !@#$ the GPS!!!" and burned rubber. rofl

However, the tracklogs came in real handy...more handy than anything else about the GPS actually. When compared to the topo maps, they told us that we had gone off the logging road (which at the point we deviated had become almost impossible to pass cause of all the mud...plus neither of us had aired down making it even more difficult). The ones we were on were not on any maps...telling us they had all been recently cut.

Like Dale said, it was an R&D day:
a) We learned a lot about our equipments shortcomings and how to get around those shortcomings

b) we found a couple of new trails for us to take on future runs

Plus we just had an awesome time, it was a lot of fun.

edit: Oh yea...
rofl laugh too funny laugh rofl
majikxms wrote:
edit: I will add one pic of the elusive Forest XJ: (Steve Erwin voice) Look closely because they are hard to see with their natural camouflage. Crankies, this one looked like it was about to pounce, we got out of there fast!!!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I'm starting to get a little thin up top there!!! (middle of photo)
I'm gonna look like this guy in no time...Cool

pfunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Unofficial" FM2CD VA Trail ride - Rapidan, VA Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
OK...so it wasn't really a trail ride. Dale (majikxms) and I went searching for some legal trails for future FM2CD VA trail rides. Of course, Jen came along for the ride and Dale's cousin in law Brian rode with him. We went up north of Charlottsville into Rapidan...and we hit the jackpot. We found a few Jeep trails to plan rides around and only explored maybe a third of the area! So it was a good day.

Enjoy the pics...

It was raining almost the whole drive out from Richmond and that meant one thing...MUD!

Although we hooked up at Waffle House, it was mobbed. So we decided to do BK instead and eat in the parking lot while going over the maps. Not only did we have these (Dale has a thing for maps), but we each had GPS and I had brought the laptop with all the 24K & 50K Topo maps for the area on it...that's a lot of maps. Shocked

As we headed up Rt33, things started to look a little better...like it might actually clear up...but it never did...

This was the first trail head that we found...the rocks at the entrance seem to have been deliberatly put there to keep out the riff raff. Problem is, not all of our club members have the armor to make it over them without serious damage. Still, it's a legal trail and a small group of us could get in there...

Since Dale's XJ is bone stock, has almost no armor and is his (actually his wife's) daily driver, we had to figure out another way into the system...time to bust out the laptop. From left to right that's Brian, Dale and me.

"Dude, I knew we should have turned right at Albuquerque!!!" laugh

These next few were taken very close to Buzzard Rock, which is just about the highest point in the area. Unfortuantly, it was really overcast, so this picture overlooking the valley does not do the view justice...I mean you can't even see the Blue Ridge montains in the backdrop... Confused

Also from the same spot. That's Dale, Jen and Brian.

...and me and Brian...

Me and Jen on a logging road on the way back down from the top.

A few shots of a side trail that I decided to go about a 1/2 mile up and then come back down on. It's much steeper and much narrower than it looks in the pics...I ended up taking out a small tree on the way up trying to avoid his great grandfather who jumped out at me....damn trees...

After a busy day of wheelin' and exploring and playing in the mountains...it's time for some nourishment....
mmmmmm...Mexican Food! drool

Rock On!

Steve

Where are you guys from? That restaraunt "El Agave" is about 5 mins from my house. The other pics of Rt 33 look real familiar also. Just curious as to where you guys actually were because looks like you were wheeling pretty close to me. Where you in Madison, VA? I know there are some trails up there.

www.allterraindecals.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pfunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see now. You guys were in Madison. I recognize the pic of the bank going down into the river. Nice area up there.

www.allterraindecals.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are mainly from Richmond, but we have members in Fredericksburg and Tappahanock. We were up around the Madison/Conway River area. We're going back on July 10th, if you care to tag along. Smile

Steve

Quote:
pfunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. I'd love to catch up with you guys. I'll keep an eye out for the details.

www.allterraindecals.com
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfunk wrote:
Sounds great. I'd love to catch up with you guys. I'll keep an eye out for the details.

Keep an eye on this thread. I'll also add you to the email distribution list so yer kept in the loop. Wink

Quote:
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was looking to do when I come up for the Camp Jeep next month.

You folks seem to have it pretty together!

Would like to hook up with some of yall if I can, I too am a born Virginian from Richmond orginally. Worked on Afton Mt for a summer at the ole Smith farm, was named The Early Virginia Vehicular Musem at the time, 1969-70. Right next to Rockfish Gap.

Hope to see yall.
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.W. Vehicle wrote:
Exactly what I was looking to do when I come up for the Camp Jeep next month.

You folks seem to have it pretty together!

Would like to hook up with some of yall if I can, I too am a born Virginian from Richmond orginally. Worked on Afton Mt for a summer at the ole Smith farm, was named The Early Virginia Vehicular Musem at the time, 1969-70. Right next to Rockfish Gap.

Hope to see yall.

ya, cool!! Ya, Steve (aka thePhantum) and I will be at Camp Jeep in his rig, the XJ. I think it will just be just the two of us from the FM2CD who are going. If I'm wrong jump in guys.

I know we have signed up for the two trail rides they let us. Steve did the picking, so I'm not sure what times we are signed up for.

Have you found a place to stay yet? Me and Steve are doing the camping thing at a place over near Stautan, Wallnut Hills Campground. About a half hour 45 min away from camp jeep. We stayed there last time and it worked out very well. It was kinda nice, not too many people and few jeepers were there too.

Jen

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen (Drake69) is going.
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Charolettesville. They give a Military discount. Not as close as Staunton though.

I signed the wife up for the first day trail ride, the womens trail. Think she'll get a kick outta that.

I signed up for a more difficult, intermediate trail for Thursday, "E".

Hope to meet yall there.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed us up for two difficult (A) trails Fri and Sat, both at 7am.

When are you coming into VA? We are going on a trail ride the Sat prior to Camp Jeep (July 10th). If you're in town you're welcome to tag along.

Steve

Quote:
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming in Tuesday. Looks like I won't make that earlier trip.

I have a friend here in the Low Country Jeep Club that has ridden the Shoe Creek trail before and he reccommened it. I have looked at the way points from your last posted trip too. Seems he has me going in the reverse direction than you did. Looks like a nice ride though.

Have also been looking at doing the Washington NF ride also. Appears you guys have some fun areas there.

I was interested too in the Afton Mt trails yall mentioned in one of your post. Did this take place on the Richmond side of the mountain?.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: